Menu

Big productions and high school

After reading the threads about big productions and high school yard signs I hafta know...

how do the high schoolers in your areas invite each other to dances?

If you know any kids who go to public school, that is. Homeschoolers might not see this happening.

In our area dance invitations are no longer about the boy simply passing a note or mentioning the dance in the hallways. Boys are almost required to be as creative as possible. Some of these dance invitations border on what we would expect from marriage proposals. It's crazy. One girl was sobbing because her boyfriend simply asked her to the dance and she didn't get a cute public invite.

Boys are buying dozens of roses and tucking an invitation inside. One boy had a dozen helium balloons delivered with his invitation. One boy borrowed horses and took his girlfriend for a horseback ride so he could invite her from horseback.

These are highschoolers, some of them freshman, and this is homecoming. It's not prom.

I blame Glee and High School Musical.

:confused: Wow. Talk about unrealistic expectations. These girls are really going to be high maintenance later on if they are expecting this kind of behavior from high school boys! I vaguely remember a couple of times being asked to a dance...you know, a friend of his asking me if I would want to go with him and if I said yes, then and only then the actual guy would ask me. Looking down at his feet. :lol:

Most of the high schoolers I know don't really talk. They text. While they are in the same room with the friends they are texting. :glare:

If it's a boy asking a girl, most still just ask the girl in an ordinary way in person.

A few years ago a friend told me about and invitation that occurred at her son's parochial high school. The young man is now a junior in college so this may have been before Glee. However, the young man went sky diving and had a picture of himself taken holding a big sign that said "Megan, prom?" He brought it to school and gave it to the Megan he intended to ask. Megan said "I'll let you know later." The young man took the picture back, found a different Megan who immediately said "yes".

I haven't heard of a lot of big production asking out at my local public high school.

Our local Catholic high school has a tradition for prom. All the students gather in the gym and the guys write and put on skits to ask their girls- the more elaborate, the better. Not only are the guys asking in front of everyone, the PARENTS come and take pictures during the whole thing.

And the local paper covers it every single year.

Our local Catholic high school has a tradition for prom. All the students gather in the gym and the guys write and put on skits to ask their girls- the more elaborate, the better. Not only are the guys asking in front of everyone, the PARENTS come and take pictures during the whole thing.

And the local paper covers it every single year.

Ack! What about the girls who don't get asked? or girls who want to say 'no'? Can the girls ever do the asking? bleh

The tradition started as a charming gesture. Many years ago there was a children's home nearby and the kids went to the Catholic school. To make them feel included, all the boys asked a girl- everyone went to prom- and nobody had to worry about not having a date.

But it morphed into this goofy thing with skits and costumes and over the top elaborate invitations. Some things are still charming- the entire class goes out to dinner together (it's a pretty small school- like 40 kids in the senior class), and everyone still goes to prom. But yeah, what if you don't want to go with the guy who asks you? And no, the girls don't ask. But they do get into the act. The girls decorate and wear grocery sacks over their heads and the boys have to hope they guessed right about which girl is under which bag. Tradition also says the girl must accept but can pair off with another boy once at prom.

And this all sounds made up but it really happens here every year.

I have never seen that here.

After reading the threads about big productions and high school yard signs I hafta know...

how do the high schoolers in your areas invite each other to dances?

If you know any kids who go to public school, that is. Homeschoolers might not see this happening.

In our area dance invitations are no longer about the boy simply passing a note or mentioning the dance in the hallways. Boys are almost required to be as creative as possible. Some of these dance invitations border on what we would expect from marriage proposals. It's crazy. One girl was sobbing because her boyfriend simply asked her to the dance and she didn't get a cute public invite.

Boys are buying dozens of roses and tucking an invitation inside. One boy had a dozen helium balloons delivered with his invitation. One boy borrowed horses and took his girlfriend for a horseback ride so he could invite her from horseback.

These are highschoolers, some of them freshman, and this is homecoming. It's not prom.

I blame Glee and High School Musical.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yeah, it's really crazy down here.

I don't have kids in ps, but it is all the rage (I've seen some pix on fb and just talked with a friend about it last week). Seems like it's all about who can be the most clever, wittiest, creative. . . .

I mean, what are these guys going to do when it's time to propose? The pressure! :svengo:

Prom seems to be the only "big production" around here. My stepdaughter was told over the morning announcements that "a certain gentleman" had a question to ask her and was waiting for her in the parking lot in front of the school. Her friend was standing there, alone, in front of his dad's convertible, in a suit and tie, with roses. She still talks about it all. the. time.

For normal dances, a text usually suffices.