Menu

one last mother of the groom question: re-mother and son dance

My son asked me to pick a song. The only ones I can think of after a search are Sunshine on My Shoulder by JOhn Denver and Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. This will give you an idea of the kind of song I like, do you have other suggestions?

Plus, How do I keep from crying? Seriously, the minute music like this starts, the tears start flowing and I turn red in the face. Really red in the face, like bright red. Just listening to these on You-tube has my dh asking me what's wrong. Music is an emotional trigger for me. Ugh.

Edited by Onceuponatime

What was his favorite song when he was 5 and you'd dance with him in the kitchen? Start with that song, which gets everyone laughing and then switch to one of the mushy songs, have the DJ say something about how you used to dance with your son to the first song and how you love dancing with him to this adult song.

I'm so glad I don't dance! I'd just stand there and sob, violently! :crying:

What was his favorite song when he was 5 and you'd dance with him in the kitchen? Start with that song, which gets everyone laughing and then switch to one of the mushy songs, have the DJ say something about how you used to dance with your son to the first song and how you love dancing with him to this adult song.

Well, I never danced with him in the kitchen, his big sister did. I don't really dance either, but the bride is in charge. :)

Love this idea! Filing it for later. :001_smile:

I think I will sob as well when it is time for my turn to dance with my boys at their weddings. I think Landslide would be one of my top picks too.

Just FYI, I've always heard Landslide was a song about regret regarding the (lack of) relationship between a parent and child, or something like that. I love the song, but I'm not sure that's what you want for your mother/son dance!

Maybe pick something a little more upbeat and less sentimental for you if you want to avoid crying? I'm the same way. And it's not like a less sentimental songs needs to have no meaning, just something that isn't so embedded into your personal history that it draws up all sorts of memories for you. And now, it will have a new memory attached to it!

Can't help you with the crying... I'm sure I'll be right there with you one day! :grouphug:

Here's a list I found online (scroll down)... I'm not familiar with all the songs, but there are several good ones on there, you may find some inspiration:

http://allaroundraleighdj.blogspot.com/2011/03/27-good-mother-son-wedding-dance-songs.html