Menu

What's so great about living in Canada? (For fun!)

Well, that is true in a global, slow-food sense. But due to extremely cold weather causing near-extinction of livestock, the Canadian delicacy known as "chip wagon gravy" is often more hastily prepared from such fine vegetarian ingredients as:

Hmm...I'll have to look for that in the store. I've had a very difficult time finding any brown gravy without a meat base (even the powdered mixes) in stores. I've found some at health food stores, but I haven't found them too often at a regular supermarket.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, the only time i've seen malt vinegar on the table at a restaurant is in Canada! I've never seen it in the States.

And as for malt vinegar being British, well... I think most Canadians know a bit about GB. ;)

I grew up in CA. When we went out for fish and chips, bottles of malt vinegar were always on the tables. I remember being shocked not to see this when I moved to NH.

Ottawa is a great city for families if you don't mind the cold. Summer's are hot and muggy though to balance things out. The canal runs through the city with lovely walkways along the side of it. It is 6 miles long and in the winter is frozen over and maintained well so you can skate the length of it from Dow's Lake to the NAC. They hold an annual Winterfest with an international ice sculpting competition and various events. There is lots of poutine to be had along the way there. And don't forget beaver tails!

I realized that. Well actually I got the impression they were Polish? But anyway, I was just commenting about how edifying this forum is :D

Perogies are pretty common around here, but mostly among the families that are Ukrainian. It's spread to the rest of us a little, but it started with them. When the school here has cultural foods day we know there will be perogies and we know which families will be bringing them.

Canadians are CANNIBALS?!

:lol::lol::lol: Now I know why we don't have enough people to fill all the job positions up here. We've been eating them! Ooops!

I do believe perogies are both Polish and Ukrainian. My family is Polish and they've been a staple food as far back as my Dad can remember from meals made by his grandmother (first generation immigrant from Poland). I guess they're simply Eastern European in origin.

I think a lot of cultures may have a stuffed dumpling of some sort or something similar? The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Pot Stickers

Ravioli

Perogies

Three very different cultures with a similar type of food.

Is that an Eastern Canada thing? I've heard statements such as "Canadians say about strange. It always sounds like a-boot". But I have NEVER met anyone that says it like that around here. I only know of one person that I've ever heard that from and they were from New Brunswick too.

It can't be. I hear it when I talk to Imp on the phone. And I don't hear it when I go to NB to visit.

Hey, Imp are you eastern Canadian?

when we stayed club level at Disney last Jan. there was a family from Quebec also staying there, my dd became good friends with one of their teen sons. She loved the way he dropped his h's in words. When he told her she was SO 'OT, as in smoking 'ot, she started laughing (probably not the reaction he was hoping for).

Dd and I still often will see how many h words (or I should say silent beginning h words) we can fit into one sentence. as is "ow are you today, are you appy, I am so appy and ot today." Yes, we are such idiots.

this summer we had so many orribly ot days. ok enough already

By the way, dd does have a standing invitation from his family to come visit them in Montreal any time.

I do believe perogies are both Polish and Ukrainian. My family is Polish and they've been a staple food as far back as my Dad can remember from meals made by his grandmother (first generation immigrant from Poland). I guess they're simply Eastern European in origin.

Perogies are not owned by any particular nationality. They all have them, called basically the same thing. Pierogies, Pirohy, etc. They are exactly the same thing although fillings differ by region / roughly nationality. We made sauerkraut or cheese or fruit. Slovak.

It can't be. I hear it when I talk to Imp on the phone. And I don't hear it when I go to NB to visit.

Hey, Imp are you eastern Canadian?

Born and raised in Ontario. I'm always confused by the 'Eastern' designation. In Ontario, 'eastern Canadian' refers to ppl in the Maritimes. Here in AB, it's pretty much from Mantioba over :lol:

Malt vinegar is a U.S. (and maybe British?) thing. Gross. Do not ever make the mistake of ordering vinegar for your fries in the U.S.

When I was growing up in NJ, malt vinegar on fries was fair food. It was as classic as funnel cakes or cotton candy. I don't remember ever having vinegar on fries anywhere else - only at the fair once or twice a year.

Perogies are not owned by any particular nationality. They all have them, called basically the same thing. Pierogies, Pirohy, etc. They are exactly the same thing although fillings differ by region / roughly nationality. We made sauerkraut or cheese or fruit. Slovak.

My matron of honor's family is Polish-American. Her mother made pierogies from scratch. They were sooooo good. That general area of Europe all has some form of pierogies, even if they call them something slightly different.

Born and raised in Ontario. I'm always confused by the 'Eastern' designation. In Ontario, 'eastern Canadian' refers to ppl in the Maritimes. Here in AB, it's pretty much from Mantioba over :lol:

I suppose over here we do consider Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and B.C. to be western Canada and everything else is eastern Canada. Would it be better to call Ontario central Canada? I'm just not sure what else to call it. Or perhaps Ontario should be central and then there's the Maritime provinces and Quebec would be it's own little world. lol

I suppose over here we do consider Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and B.C. to be western Canada and everything else is eastern Canada. Would it be better to call Ontario central Canada? I'm just not sure what else to call it. Or perhaps Ontario should be central and then there's the Maritime provinces and Quebec would be it's own little world. lol

Here in Nova Scotia we still call Ontario, Upper Canada.

Ottawa is a great city for families if you don't mind the cold. Summer's are hot and muggy though to balance things out. The canal runs through the city with lovely walkways along the side of it. It is 6 miles long and in the winter is frozen over and maintained well so you can skate the length of it from Dow's Lake to the NAC. They hold an annual Winterfest with an international ice sculpting competition and various events. There is lots of poutine to be had along the way there. And don't forget beaver tails!

I wouldn't call it hot and muggy compared to hot and muggy in the states.

I'd call them central, but for whatever reason it is true that usually the East means Ontario and whatever comes after that. I think geographically the middle is actually in the West.

It used to be common to see maps of Canada that stopped at Quebec, so that may be why people think Ontario and Quebec are the East.

That's because MALT vinegar is NASTY. Nasty. Gross.

You use distilled WHITE vinegar on the fries. Can even get it in little packets like the ketchup packets at McD's, etc.

Malt vinegar is a U.S. (and maybe British?) thing. Gross. Do not ever make the mistake of ordering vinegar for your fries in the U.S.

So this is where DH got his I put vinegar on fries, fish and chips. GAH!

I wouldn't call it hot and muggy compared to hot and muggy in the states.

I would but that's going back a few decades when it was regularly in the high 90s to 100s with a very high humidex. I can remember waking up and essentially 'swimming' through the day it was so muggy. It's one of the things I remember fondly about Ottawa. Sounds like things are different weather-wise now.

So this is where DH got his I put vinegar on fries, fish and chips. GAH!

:001_smile: I never had tartar sauce until I was an adult. The only thing we ever used as a condiment for breaded fish (fish 'n chips) while I was growing up was white vinegar.

DS gets so excited when I make fries at home because then he can have vinegar on them. :lol:

:D Another good reason to move to Canada. They think Ontario is hot and muggy in the summer. Most of the US would love Ontario in the summer.

Hot and muggy is hot and muggy. Doesn't matter where it is. Anything over 75 with a high humidity is gross. 76 degrees or 106 degrees with high humidity is hot and muggy.

This, coming from someone how has gone to the desert from SoCal THREE times this summer to "cool off". :D

Hot and muggy is hot and muggy. Doesn't matter where it is. Anything over 75 with a high humidity is gross. 76 degrees or 106 degrees with high humidity is hot and muggy.

This, coming from someone how has gone to the desert from SoCal THREE times this summer to "cool off". :D

Maybe the location in Ontario matters? I'm talking Southern Ontario - KW, Brantford, Toronto, Port Dover, etc. I last visited about six years ago and I just wanted to sit inside by an air conditioner at all times. I don't mind the heat - but I like it to be dry. And you can't even escape the mugginess at night - it's still there coating everything...ew.

Maybe the location in Ontario matters? I'm talking Southern Ontario - KW, Brantford, Toronto, Port Dover, etc. I last visited about six years ago and I just wanted to sit inside by an air conditioner at all times. I don't mind the heat - but I like it to be dry. And you can't even escape the mugginess at night - it's still there coating everything...ew.

Yes, SWO is like that. I love the humidity and heat even at night, sitting out on the porch, soft air...But this would go in waves. It wasn't regularly like that for weeks on end. More like 10 days and then it would break.

Ok, I'm Canadian (albeit French Canadian) and I have no idea what you mean by pamplemousse. It's a French word for grapejuice. How's that Canadian???

It's in French on the bottle. :) Things aren't in French on the containers in the US.

Oh, and it is just a funny word too.

:D Another good reason to move to Canada. They think Ontario is hot and muggy in the summer. Most of the US would love Ontario in the summer.

:iagree: This is so funny to me. We're very upstate NY and people here this summer were complaining about how hot and humid it was. Freakin' hilarious. I grew up in the SOUTH. . .there's heat and humidity and then there's heat and HUMIDITY.:lol:

Okay, since we're on the subject of pamplemousse, now I have to post this:

Looking for a Job in Quebec -- Radio Free Vestibule

Also applicable if you're looking for a government office or customer service job in Ottawa. :D

LOL. ok, I had tears in my eyes :lol:. So so close to my reality.... very funny when you can understand both sides

Rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and... water!

Seriously, I love canoeing, camping (trees and lakes). Winter sports are great when the weather is cold enough, health care, schools are fine (by me). It is safe for a growing family. The change of seasons is beautiful. I love my home country.

Oh and Tim Horton's...:001_wub: