Menu

What's so great about living in Canada? (For fun!)

Ok, so last night were talking about everything going on in America right now...just chatting really. Nothing too heavy. So I said as a joke, we should move to Canada. He laughed and agreed stating that he has some friends up there who love it.

So then we started talking about living in Canada... mind you we were just having fun. Nothing serious. Anyway, just for fun because we had a good time talking about it last night... tell me what really is so great about living where you live in Canada! If you didn't want to freeze to death most of the year, where would be the place to live? Now so you know, I lived a good part of my childhood in Alaska so cold doesn't bother me...but my husband isn't quite as hardy as I am. Is that the polite way to say he's a baby about weather? :tongue_smilie:

Obviously Quebec is out as I most assuredly do not speak even bad French. ;)

Ok, now convince me to move. :D

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you live in Winnipeg you can enjoy the wonderful seasons of the year.

Winter

Winter

Flood (Sometimes flood season is also called Black Fly season)

Summer

During flood season you can just step out your front door and go canoeing even if you don't have lake front access. You might also be lucky enough to go rafting in your basement.

During the winter you can go sledding off your house since the snow might pile up to your second story window.

At least those of the advantages I remember as a kid. :) Strange I couldn't convince my husband to move to Winnipeg after we got married.

Winter

Winter

Summer

During flood season you can just step out your front door and go canoeing even if you don't have lake front access. You might also be lucky enough to go rafting in your basement.

During the winter you can go sledding off your house since the snow might pile up to your second story window.

At least those of the advantages I remember as a kid. :) Strange I couldn't convince my husband to move to Winnipeg after we got married.

Most of the prairies is like that. But, with more winter -- about 9 months worth, give or take 2 or 3 months.

Winter

Winter

Summer

:svengo:

I'm from Canada, moved away 13 years ago, but moved back there for most of 2011. We're considering moving back in March/April (hoping to avoid the first 6 months of winter ;)). You should move there because:

1. Hockey. You can keep warm in the rink.

2. Poutine. You'll need to build up a nice layer of fat to survive the winter.

3. Canadian Geography. You can teach it in an hour.

4. Canadian History. You can teach it in an hour.

5. Tim Hortons. :001_wub:

Winter

Winter

Summer

:lol:

Hey you could move here to Ottawa. We are just across the river from Quebec so you can take a quick trip over to get some poutine. We also have very easy homeschooling laws here. Essentially I just tell the school board each year who I am homeschooling and that's it. The board has a liason who may call maybe once a year to just check in and ask how things are going and if there is anything they can do to help.

The other reasons that I like it here may be a little too political to bring up...

:001_huh: Oh. You thought I was joking.

No. Not at all. I just love that you have such a high personal opinion of yourself to rank "you" as the reason to move to another country.

Good for you! We need more people who think so highly of themselves in this world.

No. Not at all. I just love that you have such a high personal opinion of yourself to rank "you" as the reason to move to another country.

Good for you! We need more people who think so highly of themselves in this world.

LOL! You don't know me very well, do you? :tongue_smilie::lol:

Oh My gosh!! My husband will pack us up tomorrow. No seriously it is like his favorite winter olympic sport. :lol:

It's a very fun sport--- dh and I are both curlers, but in Connecticut.

Here's what happened to our club last December. :crying: Two young men on a spree.

But we're rebuilding!!

astrid

Edited by astrid

:( I miss Hoooooooooooooooome!

What's so great about Canada (for me):

My Family

4 seasons(ish ;))

My Family

No poisonous snakes (unless I go a few hours west)

My Family

Friends

My Family

Wide open spaces

What's not so great: Mosquitos the size of birds. ;) I might exaggerate...but only a little.

if you want warm, try wine country. my mom and brother live in niagara-on-the-lake, home to many wineries, and the shaw festival. lots of fresh fruit, almost no violence, good community, golf, curling, hockey, sailing....

if canada had a better-funded space program, we'd be back there in a heart beat. the current prime minister isn't so keen on policy-relevant data, so we'll be waiting a bit.....

remember, its all fun until someone decides they really DO want to move....

ann

If I could live anywhere in Canada I'd pick somewhere in the Okanagan Valley in B.C. Beautiful, mild weather there. Lovely view with the mountains close. I dream of retiring there some day.

For now, I like where I'm at because we have such distinct seasons. The lifestyle is one I enjoy. People work HARD, but they play hard too. Hockey and curling are a hobby that everyone seems to get involved in. If I wanted another job I could go anywhere and get one right now as there is a shortage of workers.

When I was a teen I went to Bible camp in New York state. I don't know how many times we were asked to say "about" and "out". We were told it sounded like "a boat" and "oat". So I guess we do have that problem here. :)

Oh my goodness, I grew up in northern NY and went to Bible camp in Canada! And we had the same conversations with fellow campers!

:tongue_smilie:

When I was a teen I went to Bible camp in New York state. I don't know how many times we were asked to say "about" and "out". We were told it sounded like "a boat" and "oat". So I guess we do have that problem here. :)

Is that an Eastern Canada thing? I've heard statements such as "Canadians say about strange. It always sounds like a-boot". But I have NEVER met anyone that says it like that around here. I only know of one person that I've ever heard that from and they were from New Brunswick too.

If I could live anywhere in Canada I'd pick somewhere in the Okanagan Valley in B.C. Beautiful, mild weather there. Lovely view with the mountains close. I dream of retiring there some day.

For now, I like where I'm at because we have such distinct seasons. The lifestyle is one I enjoy. People work HARD, but they play hard too. Hockey and curling are a hobby that everyone seems to get involved in. If I wanted another job I could go anywhere and get one right now as there is a shortage of workers.

Same for SK. The 2 best provinces for finding work are AB and SK right now. Big, big boom time.

Winter

Winter

Summer

We moved from Thunder Bay to Nova Scotia for this reason. We now have four distinct seasons and the mild winter only lasts for 2 months.

We're in the Okanagan valley. It really is lovely. Huge lakes, beautiful beaches, mountains are close by with fantastic skiing. The weather is fantastic - long, hot summers, a beautiful fall, relatively mild winter but we still get snow (we live on a small lake that the kids skate on in the winter). It doesn't rain all the time (like Vancouver). I've lived in three provinces and overseas and the Okanagan is my favourite place. I hope we never have to move.

Is that an Eastern Canada thing? I've heard statements such as "Canadians say about strange. It always sounds like a-boot". But I have NEVER met anyone that says it like that around here. I only know of one person that I've ever heard that from and they were from New Brunswick too.

I've lived in the US for 14 years and folks still say that I say, 'a-boot'. I think they are totally nuts. Yes, I'm from NB. My dh says I get my maritime accent back when I talk to my parents or siblings on the phone and when I come back home from visiting home (NB), he says he laughs every time and has to listen carefully to what I say to understand it all! I think he's nuts too :D

But I do get a laugh when people say Toe-ron-toe ;)

Where we live we are tucked in the middle of the Great Lakes and experience something called the Great Lakes effect. One of the nick names around here is the Banana Belt of Canada because of being warm.

It freaks some American's out when we try to explain to them that I live farther down south then they live.