Menu

Ugh DD REALLY wants to do gymnastics

She cartwheels, handstands, etc all over the place. She flips for hours on the trampoline.

I just don't want to spend 3 hours a day at the gym. Ugh. And I don' t know how far she'd go, but I know she'd be good enough pretty quick and they'd want her to be there 3 or 4 days a week.

My gym has several tracks. You can just take classes, and don't join the teams at all. And they have the teams that practice every day and are really intensive. And then they have a middle track, with practice only 1-2 times per week, and 2-3 meets per year with other teams at their level: they still get the meet experience, but it's not as life-consuming.

Maybe you can see if a gym near you has that option?

I will look in to that. She did take a sort of beginning tumbling thing, but she has figured out a back walk over and things lilke that on her own.

The gym that has the "better" teams that medal is horrible. I hated going there. We did 2 trials.

The gym I liked is just not so close. I don't want to crush her dream and not do it, I'm just whining about not wanting to spend several days a week driving and sitting there. I know that's horrible.

Do you need to stay at the gym with her? None of the parents in my dd's class stay for 3 hours. I drop dd off, check her in, make sure she is set, wave to the coach and come back 2.5 - 3 hours later.

No but what am I going to do? It's not close enough to go back home, there's nothing really to do around there.

No but what am I going to do? It's not close enough to go back home, there's nothing really to do around there.

I bring stuff to do - stuff related to my own work, reading, knitting, needlepoint, etc. I sit at a lot of rinks there are far from home and I got used to it with bringing stuff or just driving around and exploring the area.

I do not have to stay, but really I can not think of anything I want to do for 2-3 hours just sitting there. I read enough at home. I guess I could read, or start a take along hand sewing project.

The thing is she is basically begging and I know she'd work at it. There's no way I can say no, I just don't like it LOL. I mean I like the idea of it, just not the money and the time aspect.

My daughter takes from a place that really wants her on 'The Team'. I told them no way. She takes 1 2 hour class a week. Fortunately, the gym is about 5 minutes from my house, so I drop and run. If not, I would go to the nearest coffee shop with the other dd and do some school, reading, and angry birds.;)

Yeah, but that doesn't happen if you have 2 kids. Unless they both have something to do at the same time. Which doesn't happen often!

Yeah, that's the thing. There is no way J is even remotely up for the idea of doing the same.

I tried to talk her in to dance instead. But no she wants to seek death. Because really when I see those girls flipping around and on those bars I think I would die if I tried that kind of thing.

Another option-is there a dance studio near you that has floor acro classes? That would give her the chance to tumble, but acro usually only meets once a week (it's mostly done to increase flexibility/strength more than as a performance area, although some acro moves are allowed in jazz and hip-hop).

Cheer gyms often have tumbling classes offered as well, but if she's good at tumbling, cheer can quickly become just as time consuming, expensive, and intense as gymnastics!

How old is she? You probably don't need to stay there with her. If it was me' date=' I would LOVE 2-3 hours to sit and read undisturbed!!![/quote']

:iagree: I'm at dance several hours a week, and I love to sit in the car and read. Not that I don't whine and complain about it weekly. :lol: Still, I take some quiet time when I can get it.

I'd be doing it at gymnastics too, if DD had her way. I just can't afford both dance and gymnastics right now.

If you can afford it and have the time, try to make it work. I know they have homeschool classes around here at the Y, the school system has some community type classes, and then there are the gyms. There should be something that you wouldn't have to go to so many hours (unless she wants to be compete). Sounds like you have a little gymnast on your hands. :)

Another thought - do you have a local Tramp & Tumble team? It is an off-shoot of gymnastics that only works on floor and trampoline. Even at the competition level our local T&T team only meets twice a week for 2 hours. And the rec classes that meet once a week for an hour or two are very challenging.

what are you going to do?

figure out what's nearby and plan errands around the time. The library and grocery shopping are usually what I get done.

Is there a good library you can get your books from.

Is there a specialty grocery. I used to joke with my dd that if the activity was near an Indian grocery it must be meant to be.

I just change some of my neighborhood shopping to shopping near the gym. I do not have to go to Target or the grocery store near my house. I menu plan before practice then after I drop dd, I get over to whatever store I need.

Another option is to stay at practice and do weekly lesson plans. The result might be that during the next practice I run to the craft store to get something for a project or experiment.

If I'm a lone I might find nearby jogging trails and work out.

If have another kiddo with me, we might enjoy time at the library together. We might catch up on lessons with one on one time. We might find a nearby park and hike.

We held my dd off when we started gymnastics too. She had figured out all those things too and we just knew we were going to be in for a LONG road when she did get started. We were right. She is currently on the team competing at a level 4. Our gym wanted her 12 − 16 hours/week!! We held her back and she is currently attending 9 − 12 hours instead. And, she'll be competing at fun meets only this year. (Well, there is one "real" meet we may attend, but that's up in the air right now too - it's in Orlando!)

You may find that you like watching her practices. I ended up loving it! It's relatively quiet time for me. I bring things to do - paying the bills, make Christmas lists, catch up on emails and texts, etc. I feel like my dd is too young to leave yet. Twice she's gotten hurt and really needed me right away. We live 30 minutes away and I'd have felt awful if she had to wait for me!

Enjoy the ride! Your dd sounds very talented!!!