Menu

Massage for Lower Back Pain?

UGH--- I've had this awful, nagging lower back pain for DAYS. I'm not usually one to get back pain, and I honestly dont' know what I did to it, but agony, I tell ya. Advil seems to do nothing. Lying down is the most comfortable position. Sitting, walking, standing are not good. I've been trying to put a heating pad back there when I sit on the couch, but I honestly haven't had much time to do that...... you know how it is.:glare: I think part of it is my car seat. I've had the car for a year, and I LOVE it, but I"m wondering if I need a lumbar support in my driver's seat? That might help.

Anyway, the weekend is coming up, and I have to spend a significant portion of it sitting on bleachers at a marching band competition, sooo.....

Every day on my way to work I drive past a "Massage Envy" location in a pretty upscale neighborhood/town. I've never had a professional massage, but I"m desperate and in pain, and wondering if this might help? Anyone been there done that? What do you know about this chain?

astrid

I've been going to a Massage Envy for several months now & the massages have done wonders for my problem areas - neck & shoulders & tension headaches. I don't know if the same would go for lower back, but it might be worth a try. That or a chiropractor.

I like the chain, but they will try to get you to join and pay a monthly fee that includes one massage a month. I decided to do it because there is a significant price difference for members vs non-members. They usually have a lower introductory price for your first massage. I've tried several of the massage therapists and have liked them all.

Edited by Alisa in Florida

I *think* it's muscular pain? Not sure though; haven't had a lot of back pain. It's kind of low, feels achy and painful if I've been sitting or standing, oh heck it hurts all the time, but worse when I've sat for a while. When I stand up I feel like I'm standing crooked, if that makes sense-- like one shoulder is lower than the other. And when I drop my chin I feel pulling down on either side of my spine and centered in my lower back. Starting to hurt in my hips now, too, but it's been several days with no improvement and I don't know if I"m just getting sore from the soreness, KWIM? The ONLY position that doesn't hurt is lying in bed. But then it's agony when I try to roll over, so..... weak laugh.....

astrid

Are you able to control your bladder/bowel?? Is there tingling or numbness in lower extremities? If both of these questions are answered in the negative call an MD on Monday and get some muscle relaxers for a few weeks. If however you answered yes to either of the questions go in now. A ruptured disc can cause severe nerve damage. I am sorry I suffer with this in the cervical spine and feel for you. Take care.

Thanks, Elizabeth.

No, no tingling or bowel/bladder issues, but I do feel like it's weird-- not quite muscle pain? It kind of shoots down the sides of my legs, and when I stand up from sitting my lower back feels kind of--- tingly? With the pain? Seriously-- major pain. Sigh.

astrid

Thanks, Elizabeth.

No, no tingling or bowel/bladder issues, but I do feel like it's weird-- not quite muscle pain? It kind of shoots down the sides of my legs, and when I stand up from sitting my lower back feels kind of--- tingly? With the pain? Seriously-- major pain. Sigh.

astrid

That sounds more like it could be sciatica. Is the pain the same on both sides?

I have some sciatica pain on both sides but it's always worse on my right. My sciatica is caused by a tight piriformis muscle that aggravates the sciatic nerve. I can get some immediate relief from stretching. There are a lot of sciatica stretches on youtube.