Menu

Acid relux and pregnancy - need recommendations for a cure.

OK - when I had this 11 years ago with dd I drank aloe juice.

It worked wonders....but I have since learned it can start labor. And because I am a little worried about going early with this one (because my Braxton-Hicks started the minute I found out my horse was gone and they hurt a little) I am hoping you will have a remedy other than nasty old Tums.

I have 5 weeks to go until I am in mw window of having a safe and legal homebirth.

OK - when I had this 11 years ago with dd I drank aloe juice.

It worked wonders....but I have since learned it can start labor. And because I am a little worried about going early with this one (because my Braxton-Hicks started the minute I found out my horse was gone and they hurt a little) I am hoping you will have a remedy other than nasty old Tums.

I have 5 weeks to go until I am in mw window of having a safe and legal homebirth.

Sorry, no, just nasty old Tums, the industrial strength bottle, kept by the bed. Or milk, but I sadly can't drink commercial milk.

At least tums is simply pretty much calcium carbonate. It doesn't do a heck of a lot for your bones, but it isn't the most horrible thing you can put in your body -- not a weird chemical or something. Unless you count the colors they put in those things. I just try not to think about it.

Sleeping slightly upright helped me some.

Hang in there.

I'm so sorry, Karen, but the only true remedy that worked for me was birth.:glare:

That being said, I did find that the chalky Mylanta-type stuff did wonders. I was in the hospital with pre-term labor a good deal, and the nurses brought me some one night when I was having really awful acid reflux. It tastes disgusting, but it was so much help that I almost didn't mind.

Hope you find something that works for you! Good luck, and best wishes for a healthy, full-term delivery! :grouphug:

You can try cystalized ginger. I was having terrible bouts of acidreflux/gurd type symptoms and a freind gave me some crystalized ginger. It was the only thing that would stop the terrible pain that I was experiencing. I hope it will work for you.

Try chewing almonds very slowly. I used to have a little ice cream before bed. It kept it in check long enough for me to get to sleep.

I was on total bedrest from the 6th week on for my pregnancy, and lay down for meals, so I had 24 hour acid reflux, and it was bad. My dr. told me it was safe to take something, & I think it may have been pepcid ac, but that was 10 years ago and I don't remember. A pharmacist can help, but I would ask your dr.

I do know that eating a while before bed can help, and drinking water is supposed to help as well, but not right before bed. Also, sleeping as upright as you can, as others have mentioned.

During pregnancy I get awful reflux. I'd wake up choking and coughing- it was dreadful. I would take tums, but there would come a point that it wouldn't help at all. I asked my midwife and she recommended alfalfa capsules. I was skeptical, but I took them whenever I'd feel it coming on or before bed and it really did help!