Menu

Fridays at your house are.....

txmommyofboys

I had intended Fridays to be a field trip day, but this just confused my DD5 so it has turned into a mostly regular day. She usually finishes her ETC lesson by Thursday, so Fri is just handwriting and math and whatever else we didn't get to during the week.

I loooove Fridays. I plan a week's work M-Th and leave Friday as a "catch up" day. This morning dd needed to do one WWE lesson and 3 Miquon pages, ds had to do a math lesson and about 30 minutes of leftover history. We then went out to a clearing in the middle of the woods and hula hooped next to a pond to celebrate the last day of summer. :tongue_smilie:

We work so hard Monday through Thursday. Fridays are Freedays. :001_smile:

Friday is our fun day, usually. If we stay home, we play games, read tons of books, read art books and do art projects, maybe bake, etc.

Friday is also the day we schedule field trips. Today we drove to Julian, CA and went apple picking. There is an organic apple orchard that we've now gone to three years in a row. Then we go for lunch, walk around town, buy some candy at the neat candy shop, and come home :)

Fridays are definitely on the lighter-side. We school year-round so our schedule allows for it thankfully!! Mainly math, language arts, and a once-over on the house. We also meet up with friends at the local community center to play in the gym. Of course, once I'm out, I figure I may as well run errands right?? I guess that may be how our "light Friday's" evolved :D

Friday is Co-op day from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. After co-op we hang out in town and hit the library, grocery store, Target, etc. We get home around 6:00 and dh has supper waiting for us. :001_wub:

On non-co-op days, we do school as usual to make up for days we miss during the regular school year.

We have started something new this year and so far it appears to be working well. I loaded all our academics into Monday through Thursday so that we have Fridays "off". I do character education every Friday, but then rotate other subjects each week: 1x/month we have nature study, 1x/month we have a field trip (may just be something fun like apple picking) and 1x/ month we have a changing topic. For the first month or two we are studying all about the presidential election. Friday is also a make up day if there were any subjects we didn't finish during the earlier part of the week. It kind of gives everyone something to look forward to all week :)

Fridays here are called "FRIDAY FUNDAY"! :) Once every 6 weeks we go on a field trip for our Friday Funday. The other Fridays it's just lots of fun at home. On those Fridays we start our day at the same time we normally start but we work literally until 8 or 9 pm (stopping for lunch, dinner and gymnastics classes). Basic line-up for our Fridays...

* Nature Walk/Study

* Spelling Test, Bible lesson

* Creative Writing (writing letters, lists, stories... always a fun topic)

* Math and Language Arts Games (we spend 3 hours or so on these games to reinforce topics/concepts they are currently learning).

* Science, History, Animal Units ~ Finish up any projects left undone from the week (lapbooks, pockets, crafts, etc..)

* Evan Moor Literature Pockets

* Crafts!!!!

* PE

* The kids are to completely cook lunch and a dessert. I do help with using the oven/stove as needed.

This stuff also seems to continue into our weekend... lol...

Co-op day! It is probably my kids' favorite day of the week.

Here too. My two sons count down the days until co-op day each week. They do P.E., Spanish (with puppets, marionetts, songs, etc.), art (painting and drawing), and drama at co-op. We break out these large round tables at lunch time and we all eat together, one of our favorite parts of the day. They also have great areas for us mom's to sit and relax and visit with each other, when we are not assisting with a class or something.

We head home afterwards and the rest of our day is for relaxing (we are all tired when we first get home and we mostly sit around and read:tongue_smilie:), fun/playing and music practice.

For us it varies by season. We have volleyball during the fall, so Fridays are regular days because of missing a lot of school time during the week with practices that are early afternoon. We almost always have games on Friday afternoon as well, so fall is Work Fridays.

The rest of the year (we school year round with breaks), Friday morning is school and Friday afternoon is PLAY time! We often go swimming at the pool, go to the park, or just get out of the house doing anything but school.

We need the break!

Cindy

I'd love them to be our outing day, but out group meets on Thursdays which always drives me a wee bit batty. I need to try making that our "fun" day, but it feels weird to have a fun day followed by a full on day, followed by the weekend, doesn't it?

Fridays are suppose to be science, art, & math games. Often if we have any outstanding projects we wrap those up too.

Fridays at our house are for:

Practicing poetry recitation or actually recording the recitation

Composer Study

Geography

Only 1 Science all week for dd5

Math games on the computer

Catching up

Nature walk (officially, we could also be doing one during the week, but Fridays are mandatory)

Art

Picture Study

Spanish: video watching

Sewing (our life skill)