Menu

Should I update iPhone 4S to iOS 6?

I'm so nervous about this because the only reason I have this new phone is that I did the last update for my iPhone 3G and it turned it into an expensive paperweight. I was fine with it until it stopped brig able to make phone calls. I'm not all that tech savvy. Is there any reason to not do the update (as in, messing up my phone)? I have the one with the least memory, 16GB if that makes a difference.

I'm so nervous about this because the only reason I have this new phone is that I did the last update for my iPhone 3G and it turned it into an expensive paperweight. I was fine with it until it stopped brig able to make phone calls. I'm not all that tech savvy. Is there any reason to not do the update (as in, messing up my phone)? I have the one with the least memory, 16GB if that makes a difference.

You might want to google/check out the new Apple map app that is replacing google maps in iOS 6. People seem to hate the new maps.

I have the same phone as you do, 4S/16G, and I plan to wait before updating. I want to be able to review user comments about iOS 6 and also see what happens to people who update their iPhone 4 models. Since the iPhone 5 gas a 16G version, I shouldn't think GB would be an issue.

You might want to google/check out the new Apple map app that is replacing google maps in iOS 6. People seem to hate the new maps.
You can still use Google Maps in a browser.

The Tumblr for iOS 6 maps is hilarious:

http://HTTP://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com

I'm so glad you asked this! I got the notice too last night and have put it on hold, waiting to see what the experts say. I have the identical phone and it's working great now! I don't want to mess that up.

I have the same phone as you do, 4S/16G, and I plan to wait before updating. I want to be able to review user comments about iOS 6 and also see what happens to people who update their iPhone 4 models. Since the iPhone 5 gas a 16G version, I shouldn't think GB would be an issue.

Yeah, I think I am going to wait for the reviews also.

Upgraded 3 Iphones - 2 4's and my 4S. The only issue was Dh's 8 g Iphone 4 that I had to free memory up on first.

Upgraded 1 Ipod and four iPads, did an update for the Imac and the Macbook.

No problems here and I sort am in the minority that I like the new maps.

As you can see we went Mac and didn't look back here. We do have PC's to run some of our curriculum but on the whole we love our Apple products. (Not enough to stand in line for one however.)

My dh mentioned something last night about waiting a couple of weeks; said that he heard that it's messing up the Cozi Family Calendar app? We use that, so I think we'll wait, but I haven't googled it to verify.

astrid

I updated my iPhone and iPad today. I checked out my Cozi app after you posted this, and it is fine.

Do Not Disturb is under settings, just a few items down. You can turn it on and off manually or have set times. You can also select certain numbers to receive calls from even if you're in Do Not Disturb mode.

Nice, thanks! Now if I can resuscitate my phone from the dip it took in the tub tonight. . . :glare:. I may be upgrading to a 5 much sooner than planned. Can't even blame it on the kids :lol:

We have 3GS phones. We updated iPads, but we are waiting to update the phones because we have been sharing an apple ID for some things (like iTunes) and not others (like our email). The update seems to have affected some of what we were doing. I want to get it worked out before updating our phones. Neither of us can afford to lose our contacts, calendars or anything.

Nice, thanks! Now if I can resuscitate my phone from the dip it took in the tub tonight. . . :glare:. I may be upgrading to a 5 much sooner than planned. Can't even blame it on the kids :lol:

I dropped my phone in the tub a while ago. I removed the SIM card, powered it down, shook out as much water as I could and stuck it in a ziploc bag of rice for a couple of days. It worked perfectly, that was probably a year ago.

I ended up getting a LifeProof case for my phone (waterproof), it has saved my phone from a watery death a couple times now!

I may need to look into that for the next one! I've already managed to kill one Otterbox defender case (the phone lived to tell the tale in that case).

I dropped my phone in the tub a while ago. I removed the SIM card, powered it down, shook out as much water as I could and stuck it in a ziploc bag of rice for a couple of days. It worked perfectly, that was probably a year ago.

Yeah, we hit it with a cool hairdryer for a while and it's now in a rice bath. Unfortunately this one doesn't have a SIM to remove and you can't open it up and remove the battery without one of their supah-secret special star-shaped screwdrivers :glare:

Yeah, we hit it with a cool hairdryer for a while and it's now in a rice bath. Unfortunately this one doesn't have a SIM to remove and you can't open it up and remove the battery without one of their supah-secret special star-shaped screwdrivers :glare:

Most iPhone models have a SIM card, you just need a paper clip to remove it. Here it explains how and lists the one exception to the SIM card rule. ;)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/iphone-sim-card-troubleshooting-upgrade-from-original-to-iphone-3g.html

Most iPhone models have a SIM card, you just need a paper clip to remove it. Here it explains how and lists the one exception to the SIM card rule. ;)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/iphone-sim-card-troubleshooting-upgrade-from-original-to-iphone-3g.html

Ah, thanks! DH just told me that he was misinformed when he told me it doesn't have a SIM ;) But I still didn't know how to get it out.

We updated our 4Ss and dds iTouch 4 and everything is fine so far. There was a little confusion at first with it adding her email to mine (we share the same Apple ID), but it just took double checking settings for each one.

I haven't looked at the maps feature. I've been using the Mapquest App for over a year and it's AWESOME. With a 4S it speaks directions just like a regular gps, so I haven't needed any other map app.

We each have the iPhone 4. Dh updated his and hasn't had any problems. I haven't done it yet, because when I updated to iOS 5 I lost my contacts. I don't want to have to go through that again.

My dh mentioned something last night about waiting a couple of weeks; said that he heard that it's messing up the Cozi Family Calendar app? We use that, so I think we'll wait, but I haven't googled it to verify.

astrid

I updated my iPhone and iPad today. I checked out my Cozi app after you posted this, and it is fine.

We use Cozi. I'll have to get him to check his and make sure it's okay.