Menu

Breaking Amish.....fake?

I don't know how anyone could believe you could find 'real' Amish willing to do a reality show.

As I've read on here many times, even fiction ABOUT the Amish is rarely accurate. I see the same thing when my religion is referencedon tv or books....rarely is the reality I've known my entire life.

ALL "reality" TV is fake!!

My husband's cousin is an actor. He has been on a few "reality" dating shows.

Fake, fake, fake!!

Not that a LOT of it is not fake, but I went to school with the girl who won the first Bachelor....she's not an actor. (Though it is possible she had aspirations to be one.)

If there is one thing I have taught my kids it is that reality tv is not even remotely close to reality. The shows are edited to show people as the lowest of the low. As I watch Dance Moms with my daughter (I know, horrible) we have lots of discussions about editing. How the inset face of someone eye rolling was probably not in response to what they are showing at the moment. That the editors put it there for dramatic effect.

I did not know there was any "official" word on it being fake, but I've watched it twice and it seemed very unlikely to me that these were real Amish young adults. The "Jeremiah" and "Kate" characters are way too worldly to have been raised Amish. One of the guys said the "English" (non-Amish) girls were skanks. Skanks? I don't even think Amish would have a vocab. that includes skanks. I also don't understand why they would retain Amish dress if their purpose was to see what they were missing.

As someone who watched tons of MTV's Real World over the years, I realized long ago that everyone who wants to be on reality tv has an agenda.

Puck, anyone? Weren't we just talking about unwashed men in the grunge phase? Shudder

Man, I forgot about him. :ack2:

I remember reading a Biggest Loser contestant's take on the show and one from Extreme Makeover Weight Loss and it sounded like the shows were trying to induce disordered eating. Just yuck.

I think every show is eithervscripted, semi scripted, edited and manipulated beyond belief, or is implied fake improv....like the "participants" know there's a character they are playing and encouraged or told to act a certain way, but it's not scripted technically.

I have heard that a lot of times shows supply a lot of alcohol prior to taping confessionals or for a judging scenario. They also run really long hours.... Thinking of things like Top Chef or project Runway.

There is pretty much nothing on tv that is "real" anymore. They all have an agenda, been edited beyond recognition, are just out for ratings and that includes the news shows.

Reason #27 why we don't even watch TV anymore. I can't even believe the stuff that I hear about that constitutes "good TV"....

I think one of the biggest fakes is house hunters. I know a couple featured on the show. They had already bought their house before they did the show. They said that producers kept having them comment in different ways on the rooms and such. I stil like to see the houses on the shows.

I was really disappointed when I realized that show was fake. I mean, it has the potential to be real....why mess it up with fake?

I think one of the biggest fakes is house hunters. I know a couple featured on the show. They had already bought their house before they did the show. They said that producers kept having them comment in different ways on the rooms and such. I stil like to see the houses on the shows.

I have a friend who was on House Hunters. Theirs wasn't fake. They were truly looking at the house. They had to expand on their comments and such but the house hunting part was real and they really bought the house they said they were going to buy and so on. She was actually impressed with the accuracy of their portion at least.

Same here. THey had bought the house and House Hunters had them clear out the house. They had to look at two other houses along with the one they bought.