Menu

carry-on luggage...questions

razors to shave with are fine (not straight edge); nail clippers are fine.

Liquids - you can fit as many containers, 3 oz. each or less, in 1 quart sized ziplock bag as possible. You are not allowed more than that. Prescription drugs (liquid or otherwise) are excepted, but you must identify it and tell them upfront "I have xyz medicine in addition to my bag of other liquid stuff" and show it to them, and the name on the bottle must match your name on the ticket/boarding pass, I believe.

You can read more at the links that Stripe provided. Also, the 3 oz. containers CAN be generic containers, such as blank/empty travel-sized containers and filled from your full size bottle, EXCEPT toothpaste canNOT be a full sized tube with only a bit left. Squeezed into a different, smaller than 3 oz. container -- yes. Travel-sized tube - yes. Large nearly-empty tube? NO.

Also, you are allowed 1 1qt bag per passenger, so if you need to pack liquids and gels for yourself and a child, you are allowed 2 bags (assuming you purchased two tickets). I do this - one bag is shampoo, lotion, toothpaste. The other is yogurt or other gel-ly, gooey, liquid-y snacks for DD. Just make sure the snack containers are 3oz. or less, and don't forget to pack a spoon!

toothpaste: never thought about this one...we use non-floride toothpaste (different flavors)....and I don't think I can get them in travel sizes....so am I going to have to just use regular toothpaste for a week?? Glad you mentioned that one. What about my child who is allergic to artifiacal flavors and colors...he can't use just any old toothpaste. How do I get around that??

Oh and what about OTC counter meds (like motrin??) there won't be a name on it to match to our ticket...can I still take those?

I am beginning to wonder if I am going to need to send a small package to Disney ahead of us, just so we can have a few things like that. This is insane that air travel has become so limited that I can't bring "normal" things on the airplane. We are not checking any bags and I know that works against us in this matter.

Edited by NEprairemom

toothpaste: never thought about this one...we use non-floride toothpaste (different flavors)....and I don't think I can get them in travel sizes....so am I going to have to just use regular toothpaste for a week?? Glad you mentioned that one. What about my child who is allergic to artifiacal flavors and colors...he can't use just any old toothpaste. How do I get around that??

You'd get a small travel size empty container and put your alternative toothpaste in. you can do the same with all other toiletries.

Oh and what about OTC counter meds (like motrin??) there won't be a name on it to match to our ticket...can I still take those?

No problem. If they are liquid, they must fit in the one quart bag. If they are solid, no problem.

I am beginning to wonder if I am going to need to send a small package to Disney ahead of us, just so we can have a few things like that. This is insane that air travel has become so limited that I can't bring "normal" things on the airplane. We are not checking any bags and I know that works against us in this matter.

For how long are you going??? Are you taking too much stuff? You are traveling within a civilized country and could always, in a pinch, purchase something you forgot.

We travel overseas every year, and if we did not have our rock climbing gear, we'd do just fine with carry on for a few weeks. You might want to pack less.

You'd get a small travel size empty container and put your alternative toothpaste in. you can do the same with all other toiletries.

No problem. If they are liquid, they must fit in the one quart bag. If they are solid, no problem.

For how long are you going??? Are you taking too much stuff? You are traveling within a civilized country and could always, in a pinch, purchase something you forgot.

We travel overseas every year, and if we did not have our rock climbing gear, we'd do just fine with carry on for a few weeks. You might want to pack less.

yes, what Regentrude said is correct. A friend just visited me (in the US) and uses an alternative toothpaste; she just squeezed some into a travel container that is less than 3 ozs. That was fine.

OTC meds are fine as well; if liquid, in the baggy and less than 3 ozs. If solid, no problem. Another one that some don't think -- if it's a roll-on deodarant, it's liquid.

But it is one 1 qt baggy per person, so each member of your family can take one. It really is quite doable. The rest can go in your checked luggage if need be or bought locally when you arrive.

I thought about buying locally, but then whatever you don't use, you will have to trash...can't afford to do that.

ok....this is a gross question...but if I put toothpaste in a small container, how do you get it on your toothbrush...your finger? This idea just sort of grosses me out. Sorry.

get a squeezable small container.

or take a wooden popsicle stick.

Fingers work too - after all, you put it on your teeth which have been in contact with food and spit... not sure why a finger would be gross. you can always wash your hands.

I take some things like liquid motrin, and cold meds (my kids can start having cold symtoms in the middle of the night...coughing, stuffy noses etc) and my daughter uses a Hylands brand (homeopathy) of motion sickness meds. We are staying for a week...with no vehicle...and I am just feeling out my options...doesn't mean we are taking a whole drug store or anything....I haven't flown in over 14 years and things have really changed since then...plus I didn't have any kids then...

I thought about buying locally, but then whatever you don't use, you will have to trash...can't afford to do that.

ok....this is a gross question...but if I put toothpaste in a small container, how do you get it on your toothbrush...your finger? This idea just sort of grosses me out. Sorry.

my friend used a small tub/pot that had a large enough opening she just dipped her toothbrush right in. Nothing touched in between. Like a small plastic jar, I guess. You can find these empty containers in the travel size toiletries section of your local big box store.

Homeopathies should travel fine; I can't imagine that x-ray would hurt them.

Are you not taking any checked luggage? Perhaps see if it is cheaper to check a bag vs. send a package if you are truly concerned about all of this and not comfortable figuring out the rules. All of the things you are asking about can go in your checked luggage, just double-bag it to protect from leaks and you're fine.

I take some things like liquid motrin, and cold meds (my kids can start having cold symtoms in the middle of the night...coughing, stuffy noses etc) and my daughter uses a Hylands brand (homeopathy) of motion sickness meds.

we've traveled with stuff like that and none has ever been harmed by x-ray.

also, I do switch as much over to solids as possible just to save space. So, chewable motrin instead of liquid; those cold meds that are the strips that dissolve under the tongue; etc.

That's another option if you are trying to avoid checked luggage. Solids, even medicines, do not have to be singled out.

Every hotel at Disney has a store filled with grab-and-go food, medicine, diapers, sunscreen, bug spray, etc... I would only take the things you really think you will need. Each of your children can have a quart size bag, too, so you can spread around some stuff.

Unless you need special shampoo and soap, it will be available in your room. Lotion should be there, too. Deodorant that is a stick is not considered liquid. If the meds are OTC, you can just pour them into smaller travel containers and take the little measuring cups.

Timidly putting this out there...

If I couldn't afford an extra couple of dollars to buy one extra tube of toothpaste, I probably wouldn't be flying, nor going to Disney at all. :001_huh:

You might be over-complicating this a little bit.

If you have multiple children (and it sounds like you do), you can have several bags of liquids. You can fit quite a lot into each 1 qt. bag.

Alternatively, you're welcome to check your luggage, and if your situation requires more than several 1 qt. bags of fluids, you should probably do that. I've found checking my bag to be *much* easier than anticipated.

Try not to worry about the details. You're going to have a *great* time! :001_smile:

Of course. Why would you need a prescription to document Motrin?

I'd try to find one natural toothpaste all could use, or just give everyone their own tiny tub. I think you're making this more complicated than it is, and I am a person who always both overcomplicates things AND overpacks. I am sure you can find a small tube of some sort of uncolored, fluroride free toothpaste, anyway. If all else fails, use baking soda. It's a solid.

I put the vast majority of stuff we fly within my checked luggage. We fly a lot, and it is way easier to check as much as possible. Your carry-on isn't even allowed to be big enough to carry all of the stuff that you have mentioned. We have prescription meds to carry, we carry a few basic toiletries (enough to get us through a day if our suitcase doesn't make it because we have allergies too), and stuff to do on the plane. Pretty much everything else goes in checked baggage.

It may be lass hassle to just check a bag than to send a package? Could you buy from Amazon and have it shipped directly to Disney? I know people who do this with diapers.

I have seen Tom's of Maine toothpaste in travel sizes, if that is an option. Also, you can pour any liquid into those clear travel size containers. That would work if you have to have Motrin in liquid form.

Diney resorts all have a little "pharmacy" area with mostly travel size bottles. You should not have to throw away stuff not used as it should be able to be put in your carry on. The containers are pretty small. Yes expensive, but if you need it, it is worth it. I would just budget $20 for the possibility and not worry about bringing the medicine cabinet.:)

I think you might want to just plan to check some bags. I love to travel carryon only, but it works best if you can plan to not pack for all the contingencies, only pack essentials (buying contingency items if needed), and do laundry every 2-3 days while you're there. Sometimes it's pricier, often it's cheaper, but part of that is just the cost of travel. I did it all the time as a young adult without kids, but now that I have young children, I usually check a bag, because there's just more stuff! When they get older hopefully we can do carryon only again!

I never even thought that the actual resort would have a little store for such things...I think that is way we go. Yes, I usually overthink and overcomplicate things....my husband has told me this so many times...I am a "what if...' thinker....and I know those "what if's rarely, if ever happen....thanks for your help!!!!

I've been reading through this thread as our family will be traveling soon. I tried checking this question via the website provided but it didn't know the answer. Can I travel with a small bottle of iodine for medicinal purposes? I've been put on it for an under active Thyroid. I tried going without it recently to see if I'd be okay & had wicked headaches & was so tired I couldn't cope. I can take my drops before I leave but I'll be in travel for 24 hours or so. Which would mean 1-1.5 days without my drops. There is nothing worse then flying with a migraine, especially when you get a total jerk sitting in front of you who curses at your kids & disrupts the entire plane before people finally tell him to shut-up.

I think you can bring prescription medicine greater than the 3 oz; if it's OTC, you could try a doctor's note? But from this, it sounds like you just need to let them know.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.