Menu

Have you ever seen a famous actor in a stage play?

mirth

Your impression of famous film actors in live stage plays  

1. 1. Your impression of famous film actors in live stage plays

• Viewed him MORE favorably as an actor afterwards
    • Viewed him LESS favorably as an actor afterwards
    • No change
    • Other

And if so, did his or her performance raise or lower your view of this person as a actor? Especially interesting is if you saw 2 or more comparably famous actors on stage at the same time and one simply dwarfed the other (though I admit I don't know how you would answer the poll in this instance -- "other"?)

If you've seen alot of famous film actors on stage (...our London/UK or NYC friends), then please answer your impressions in general.

Edited by mirth

I've seen many shows with famous actors doing runs on B'way. I've enjoyed all the performances.

The best example for your purposes would be "How to Succeed in Business without really Trying". John Larroquette and and Daniel Radcliffe were the leads. Both were excellent actors. I've seen JL do song and dance numbers before so that was no suprise, but Daniel Radcliffe singing and dancing was really impressive.

What was more impressive was his american accent. I completely forgot he was British until after the curtain call when both came out for the Broadway Cares aution.

I was highly impressed by both of them.

And while I know this ins't what you meant, but John Larroquette really did dwarf Daniel Radcliffe! I had no idea one was so very tall and the other really rather short until I saw the two dancing together. John Larroquette basically did a leg kick over Daniel Radcliffe's head, and it wasn't really a strech for JL! LOL!

I've seen several, but the most interesting was That Championship Season, which only had five actors - Chris Noth, Kiefer Sutherland, Jim Gaffigan, Jason Patric and Brian Cox. They were absolutely fantastic, and I think I actually viewed all of them more favorably afterward. Kiefer Sutherland stood out to me - his character was brilliant and completely different than any role I've seen him play before. I met all five of them at the stage door after the show, and they were all incredibly charming, especially Jason Patric.

I've seen on stage a few actors who are known for movies or TV, but they have all been people who are trained for the stage.

For example, many years ago, my husband and I saw Patrick Stewart (of Star Trek fame) as Prospero in The Tempest. He was awesome, but that wasn't a surprise to me, because I knew about his background as a Shakespearean actor.

And my daughter and I saw Angela Landsbury and Rupert Everett in Blithe Spirit on Broadway a couple of years ago. I was a little disappointed in his performance, honestly, but the production was a little lackluster in general. So, I didn't blame him.

I know there have been others, but those are the ones who pop into my head right away.

Oh, wait. We also saw Tom Wopat (who I guess is famous in some circles) in Catch Me If You Can on the same trip as Blithe Spirit. He was surprisingly good, but he wasn't really on my radar before I saw the show. And, being more of a theatre person than a movie/TV person, I was most excited to see Norbert Leo Butz in that one, anyway.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I saw Kevin Spacey in The Iceman Cometh from the front row. I can't even remember how we got the tickets: I think they were released at the last minute and my mom happened to be the next in line. Wow, the most boring play in the world (at least that's my memory... I think I was in high school). But he definitely had this really electrifying presence. I couldn't take my eyes off him the entire time. It was interesting, and kind of hard to explain. He was really amazing.

I saw Ben Kingsley in Waiting for Godot, and I remember him being very good at that. But during intermission, the woman in front of me turned around and started telling us what an awful person Ben Kingsley is (I can't even remember now... something about having s*x with underage girls, and other stuff), so that definitely affected my opinion of him. But he was good in the play!

I saw Ewan McGregor in a very odd play (I couldn't remember the title, so I just looked it up and it's called "Little Malcolm and His Struggles Against the Eunuchs"), and it was odd, but he definitely has a very frenetic energy that somehow made the play work.

I think all three of these people are very good actors, though. So I'm not surprised that they make good stage actors. There are other movie actors and actresses who basically play one type, who I would not be surprised if that type doesn't translate well to the stage.

And, being more of a theatre person than a movie/TV person, I was most excited to see Norbert Leo Butz in that one, anyway.

My only claim to seeing someone even minutely famous was working with Norbert Leo Butz's younger brother, whom Norbert Leo claims is the best actor in the family. He was absolutely amazing to watch -- he'd be having fun backstage with the kids, then go onto stage and *POOF*, he was Don John.

But we all sort of wished his older brother had come to the show....

I saw Dustin Hoffman in Death of a Salesman at the Kennedy Center back in the 80s. It was amazing to see him on stage - much more impressive up close, although I've always thought of him as being an outstanding actor.

I also saw Yul Brynner in The King and I at the National Theater in D.C. in the 70s. We were not near the stage, so it was kind of like watching him in the movie version - didn't really affect my opinion of him one way or another.

And if so, did his or her performance raise or lower your view of this person as a actor? Especially interesting is if you saw 2 or more comparably famous actors on stage at the same time and one simply dwarfed the other (though I admit I don't know how you would answer the poll in this instance -- "other"?)

If you've seen alot of famous film actors on stage (...our London/UK or NYC friends), then please answer your impressions in general.

I have worked onstage with several film actors. In general, my impressions of them as an actor rose dramatically (no pun intended), but my impressions of them as a person sank equally. There were a few exceptions where I was impressed with their acting as well as their personality.

Edited by Audrey