Menu

Outliers Book

Negin

The 1st time I read it, I loved it.

The 2nd time, I didn't like it as much and felt more and more incompetent as a parent.

I now regret ever reading this book and would like to burn it. :lol: For those who feel similarly and who are not offended by some foul language here and there, this blog by my dear friend (who homeschooled both her kids) may be of interest.

I think I must have read a different version. :lol: I didn't see much about Tiger parents in there. If you read to the end, you really see that what he is saying is that it's more about circumstances. A million other mothers could have pushed their dc to spend time at a computer, but they wouldn't be Bill Gates, because they didn't have the drive OR the circumstances.

Actually, it made me feel more confident, because you know what I have 10,000 hours in? Parenting... active, hands-on, interaction with my kiddos. Not every parent does, but I do. And that gave me confidence.

I think I must have read a different version. :lol: I didn't see much about Tiger parents in there. If you read to the end, you really see that what he is saying is that it's more about circumstances. A million other mothers could have pushed their dc to spend time at a computer, but they wouldn't be Bill Gates, because they didn't have the drive OR the circumstances.

This is kind of how I felt about it. I've never had the drive for anything but reading or my children. Due to circumstances, I've probably come close to 10,000 hours in things like typing and computer programs. But, there was not passion there, just necessity.

My oldest has a passion for dance. She's easily put in 10,000 hours but it was pure coincidence that we even got her started. She took a little class at the Y at 3 years old. Then in attempting to find a studio mid-year when she was 4, we only found one that would take her. I knew nothing about competitions, recitals, or anything. But 14 years later that was clearly her passion.

Now, she had a friend who danced with her when younger but as they got older was pushed more so advanced faster. Turned out that much of the drive for this kid was not her own but her mothers. At 16, she stopped dancing completely after years of dancing 10 to 15 hours a week. She was very good but it wasn't her passion. I think parental pushing will only go so far.

My son doesn't show a passion for anything but computers (Minecraft especially) and Pokemon. Not the kind of things he's going to make a big career out of.

I think the main thing I got out of the book was that, as parents, we should keep an eye out for our kids passions and encourage them if we can (and they are appropriate age-wise), but that not all kids are going to have a passion for something and that's okay too. We can't all be Outliers.

Actually, it made me feel more confident, because you know what I have 10,000 hours in? Parenting... active, hands-on, interaction with my kiddos. Not every parent does, but I do. And that gave me confidence.

:iagree:

This is kind of how I felt about it. I've never had the drive for anything but reading or my children. Due to circumstances, I've probably come close to 10,000 hours in things like typing and computer programs. But, there was not passion there, just necessity.

My oldest has a passion for dance. She's easily put in 10,000 hours but it was pure coincidence that we even got her started. She took a little class at the Y at 3 years old. Then in attempting to find a studio mid-year when she was 4, we only found one that would take her. I knew nothing about competitions, recitals, or anything. But 14 years later that was clearly her passion.

Now, she had a friend who danced with her when younger but as they got older was pushed more so advanced faster. Turned out that much of the drive for this kid was not her own but her mothers. At 16, she stopped dancing completely after years of dancing 10 to 15 hours a week. She was very good but it wasn't her passion. I think parental pushing will only go so far.

My son doesn't show a passion for anything but computers (Minecraft especially) and Pokemon. Not the kind of things he's going to make a big career out of.

I think the main thing I got out of the book was that, as parents, we should keep an eye out for our kids passions and encourage them if we can (and they are appropriate age-wise), but that not all kids are going to have a passion for something and that's okay too. We can't all be Outliers.

Exactly. If we were ALL outliers, they wouldn't be called outliers, KWIM? :tongue_smilie:

I absolutely loved the book and it particularly inspired me in areas where I have a tendency to give up when it becomes hard. The story of the gal doing the impossible math problem was amazing to me. I've since run two full marathons...something I always thought was impossible.

I really don't think there was a strong "message" to the book. I find people fascinating and so I never once thought I was supposed to measure myself against any of the "outliers".

I absolutely loved the book and it particularly inspired me in areas where I have a tendency to give up when it becomes hard. The story of the gal doing the impossible math problem was amazing to me. I've since run two full marathons...something I always thought was impossible.

I really don't think there was a strong "message" to the book. I find people fascinating and so I never once thought I was supposed to measure myself against any of the "outliers".

Yes, I read it with more of an eye to myself. I have a habit of starting a new career every ten years or so. I love learning new skills--and using old ones in fresh ways. I will never be the EXPERT people go to. But...I have friends in fields where they are the experts--and they are bored too often. They make bucks, they are respected and admired, but they are bored.

I did relate to the blog poster's feelings about raising kids who turn out differently than expected--and the deep fear I feel that homeschooling through high school was not the right thing for them. My sons certainly did follow a different path than others--and not in all the positive ways they could have. Not long ago, I told my sis-in-law, 'I raised them to be different. I just didn't expect this kind of different.' I can laugh about it, but I do some crying about it, too.

Still--Dh and I made the choices we made based on what we knew then. I just wish I'd known more. Now my sons make their own choices--