Menu

Math help for 8 yr old

soccy

My 8 year old HATES math. As a result, she struggles with the very basic facts. We currently use Singapore Math and while I feel it's great, dd hates it. I know something like Saxon, would never work. She really hates worksheets and cries when presented with more than 20 problems.

Any ideas on what math curriculum would work for this math hater? Math games? She's still mastering basic facts but should be working on borrowing, multiplying and simple fractions by now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

MEP is a UK based program - it's free:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

LoF = Life of Fred, a story based curriculum for math (most people see it as a supplement)

Miquon is the curriculum that uses the C-rods. It might be useful for her for a year or so (it stops after about 3rd grade).

Another option could be Right Start, which is really manipulative based.

Perhaps work on something like the math mammoth topical books to master the basics along with Singapore.

Seriously though, if a child is struggling with facts, its going to make everything else sooo much more difficult. If you slow way down until she's got them down, I think it would go so much more smoothly. Just my opinion;)

I know it's a workbook, but look at CLE. Print her some samples and see how she likes them. You might have to explain some gaps though. My son hated math until CLE. And I've read some posts that it has happened with other people also. Once their kids start to like math again, they sometimes then move to another program. Somehow, I think CLE gives some kids confidence. It's also spiral, so if they get stuck on one topic, they can do another topic in the same lesson and still feel they learned something.

Edit: He also loves bigbrainz timez attack for his multiplication tables.

Edited by cmac

Does she understand concepts and is only being held back for facts? Or is she struggling with concepts too?

It's not uncommon for certain kids to struggle with memorizing facts yet do fine forging ahead in concepts. If that is the problem, it could be why she hates math. In that case, I would separate math into two stands - concept and fact practice. Continue to move forward in concepts (letting her use tables for fact calculation) and work on facts daily as a separate session. Also, let her use manipulatives as much as needed. C-rods or an abacus can help her learn the facts while using them to move forward in concepts.

If it's concepts she's struggling with, then I'd want to find a manipulative approach that she will understand.

Also, with a workbook program, you can write the problems on a white board instead. Or do them orally and with manipulatives. Just because a worksheet is present, it doesn't mean you HAVE to use it that way. ;)

I'd also try out Buddy Math (you do a problem, she does a problem) to see if that helps.

We love Math U See! We've used it from the beginning. The manipulatives help my ds "see math". He can use them as much or little as needed.

I agree with boscopup. If it's facts I'd let her use what's needed to get them and just keep working and working on them. If it's concepts then I'd slow down and help her get it before moving on. We work a lot of problems on the whiteboard, switch roles, play games, etc.

Teaching Textbooks!!!!! I know people here either love it or hate it. My DS HATED math with a passion and sounds a lot like your child -- he just could not master the basic facts at all. We spent an inordinate amount of time on multiplication last year, and nothing stuck aside from some of the 2X. I back-tracked to Teaching Textbooks 3 this year (he should be in 4th grade math, but there was no point advancing him until he masters the basics). What a difference! The program teaches for you and does a really good job explaining the concepts. That relieved a lot of our stress right there. If the child misses a problem, the computer will explain step-by-step how to do it correctly.

Some people don't like it because they feel it is too easy. It is on the light side, but builds up. Some people also don't like it because it will teach a concept, have the student do 4 or 5 problems in the lecture portion of the lesson, but then when they do their assignment (several practice problems and then about 22 real problems) only 4-6 of those problems are on the new material and the rest is a mixture of old material. They feel more emphasis should be on the new material. While I do wish there was more new material in the assignments (maybe 75% new, 25% review would be ideal) this constant review is helping my son. Before, he'd seem to learn a concept, and the next day he'd have no idea how to do it -- we'd keep moving on and on. Now, he is constantly reviewing things every day. He's starting to memorize his doubles (8+8, 6+6, etc) something he's struggled with since first grade. Best of all, he no longer hates math. He doesn't love it, but it's no longer a battle to get him to do it every day. He told me he understands it better. His confidence is growing with this program, and that's a beautiful thing to see.

My son loves math, and we went free-form, but sometimes it can help with someone who hates math, too. Check out the livingmath.net website.

for addition facts, I picked up 2 10-sided dice at a comic book shop and we played a very simple game - we each took turns rolling the dice, stating the problem (3 plus 5 equals 8) and whoever had the largest number, won that round. we just kept a tally of who won each round. and if he got the sum wrong, i just helped him. actually i guess we started with standard dice. Totally simple, stress-free, and strangely fun.

We read a lot of math readers and picture books in 1st and 2nd, and later moved on to murderous maths. and when we do use curriculum i rarely make him do more than 4 problems in a day because the writing part is really frustrating for him.

we do need to start buckling down soon, but sometimes hating math can get in the way of learning math, and you really have to address that head on

If she just doesn't like the book or finds pages overwhelming what about letting her pick out her own book, even one of those basic ones book stores carry would be a start. Maybe print out sample sheets from several places to see what catches her interest. If nothing else works maybe grabbing a sharpie and copying problems in small sets onto separates pages would help.

I know it's a workbook, but look at CLE. Print her some samples and see how she likes them. You might have to explain some gaps though. My son hated math until CLE. And I've read some posts that it has happened with other people also. Once their kids start to like math again, they sometimes then move to another program. Somehow, I think CLE gives some kids confidence. It's also spiral, so if they get stuck on one topic, they can do another topic in the same lesson and still feel they learned something.

:iagree:

My son struggled with both Singapore and MathUSee and said he didn't like math until we started CLE. It changed his view. He now loves math. He scored in the 98th percentile on his standardized test he took this Spring. He doesn't mind it one bit. The flash cards that they use for the 100/200 level help a ton ... also we don't do a full lesson every day. The lessons are very small -- and there is a lot of review. It seems easier to digest than either MUS or Singapore for him.

Honestly, we switched to Saxon for DD, who hated math, and it's a winner. She still doesn't love math, but Saxon is great for confidence, because there are always some problems that are super easy, and it's letting her build her skills in small increments. She complained that 30 problems are too many, so we're currently trying out doing just 15 at a time. If she continues to score 90% or better on the tests, we'll stick with 15 (usually alternating odds and evens). She likes that it doesn't try to dress itself up to be cute or fun; it's factual, gets the job done, and that's it. She does appreciate the subtle humor, though, like where a word problem uses names that are obviously from a classic book.

Also, for facts, for DD, it really helped her to look them up on a chart. Flash cards didn't really cement them for her, but I had her look them up as needed, and after a while, she didn't need the chart any more.

ETA: She does not like LoF -- it's too silly for her, she says.

Teaching Textbooks!!

LOVE it over here. My kids were becoming math moaners and when I let them "play" the demo on the TT website, they continued to ask me to "play teaching textbooks" outside of school time. LOL

I think you should try it because it's SO different from any other approach I know. When your dd is hating math, it might give her the feeling of a "fresh start." My kids also love the little "buddies" on the upper left that they can change and give them a little motivation to get the right answer and see what the buddy will do (the caterpillar gets a little closer to turning into a butterfly, or the penguin slowly melts out of his icecube). The buddies are very simple, and not so obnoxious so as to be too distracting from the task at hand... just enough to motivate a wee bit and make it fun. Genius.

The audio / visual aspect might be the breath of fresh air she needs compared to the drudgery the workbook was for her.

Also, are you saying that is having trouble with the concept of basic facts? Or are you not moving on until she has the facts memorized? If it's the latter, I would just let her move on with TT and continue to memorize the facts at the same time. There is built-in "bonus rounds" which allows extra points to be earned from correct answers on math facts speed drills. That part seems even more like a "game" with fast-tempo music to get the drilling going. You can access this "game" (math facts drilling) any time, as well, I believe.

If she is unable to do 3rd grade math you will probably have to wait on TT since it starts in 3rd grade. But I think it's *definitely* worth a try as soon as she's able to start on 3rd. I'm SO glad I tried it.

Even the automatic grading and the fact that they can check (but not change) their own grades is motivating. I have the kids tell me every day what percentage they got and I don't let them move on unless they get 90% or above (they can only miss 1 or 2 problems tops). They can even see as they are doing the lesson whether they are getting the problems right or not which I think is also encouraging, as opposed to waiting until you're all done with your workbook page to find out you bombed and got 8 problems wrong, ya know? I just think TT is a very well-designed program.

Oh, also, the lessons are pretty short and sweet. There is a short, interactive lecture, then there are maybe 4 practice problems, and about 16 other problems. Total, there is almost always about 20 or 21 problems total if I remember right. And there is one problem on the screen at a time so that might help her not feel overwhelmed (though she can see the list on the left of what she has done and has left to do).

(No I don't work for TT. :lol:)

Edited by TaraJo29

I have the same kid. I decided that the school timetable is not my son's timetable and until he mastered his math facts we are not going on with any curriculum. I think mathimatical concepts can be fairly quick to pick up once you have the foundation laid so we are laying the foundation.

What we do is Xtra math everyday (it's free: xtramath.org) and Dreambox when he wants to.

I know it's a workbook, but look at CLE. Print her some samples and see how she likes them. You might have to explain some gaps though. My son hated math until CLE. And I've read some posts that it has happened with other people also. Once their kids start to like math again, they sometimes then move to another program. Somehow, I think CLE gives some kids confidence. It's also spiral, so if they get stuck on one topic, they can do another topic in the same lesson and still feel they learned something....QUOTE]

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

OP, just yesterday I received my order of CLE Math. (I ordered a few Lightunits just for review/clarification, and also ordered this year's math). Oh, my!!!! Dd is on a ROLL. Things are clicking. She likes the clear explanations (which is the primary reason I chose CLE). She says she now likes math. She has thanked me for ordering CLE. :)

I let her answer verbally sometimes. We are going through the review lightunits and I am choosing which parts she needs to do. My problem now is that she does not want to do anything else except math. ;)

I can hardly express how glad I am that I tried CLE math. Thank you WTM forum members for posting about it!

:iagree: I had that kid. Singapore was a horrible bomb. Saxon was a nightmare. Right Start began to right the ship. CLE has been a godsend. No more math wars, and she's doing incredibly well!

We also dropped Singapore for my dd8 because she didn't like it and it didn't work for her at all. We are using Saxon 3 now and it works. Not everyday is perfect, but she is learning a lot better than she used to. She gets lots of chances to practice her math facts, which has improved tremendously from last year. And it's not as much worksheet writing as you think. The new concept is not introduced with worksheets. You do get the chance to use manipulatives. And the way the worksheets are set up is that you can do half of the problems now and the other half at another time. What also works for my dd is that one worksheets covers a whole host of topics, so no two questions are the same. She didn't cope very well with Singapore's worksheets where you have 2 or 3 pages of the same type of problems.

I have no idea what Saxon 5/4 looks like, but I understand it does look a lot different. For now I intend on continuing with Saxon.

After trying RS, MUS and MM with my dd, who has dyscacula and other LD's, TT has been a winner!

There were tears EVERYDAY and nothing I did seemed to help, it was heartbreaking watching her get so frustrated and dreading math time. TT has truely been our miracle in the homeschooling dept.

Do I believe TT is the best math curricula out there, no. However, it's the best for my dd who hated math and struggled day to day with math. If she wasn't a struggling math learner, we would have stuck with MM. I'm grateful to be getting math done at this point (it was seriously THAT bad!)

We continue to struggle with memorizing facts, but we're getting there. Flashmaster was a bust, as well as flashcards. This week we've started xtramath online and so far it's been wonderful.

It's also been helpful for dd to learn how to skip count (she's got 1 through 12 down!) - we play the 'Have Fun Teaching Counting Songs' throughout the day. Not too obnoxious compared to some. :)

Had TT not been a success, CLE was next on the list. Thankfully we've found what works.

Thank you all for the wonderful resources.

My daughter started out with hearing problems which led to speech therapy and reading problems. Our first 2 years were focused on getting her speech better and getting her reading skills down. I also believe she has some undiagnosed learning/behavioral disabilities. She struggles to sit still, falls out of her chair several times a day, when I'm explaining how to solve a problem on the white board or with manipulatives, I can see she's checked out. I don't know if she's just bored or unable to focus.

When she's zoned out I'll ask her what a given number plus 1 is and it takes her at least a minute to answer. I'll have to give her the hint that it's just one more. It's very frustrating for me and she feels my frustration, which agitates her and makes her nervous which leads to more wrong answers.

I've tried iPad apps which feature multiple choice answers but she just picks down the line until she finally hits on the right answer. If the app doesn't allow multiple choice, it will take her almost an hour to complete 15 problems. She has absolutely no desire to learn math. I believe that it's because she struggles so much. She was the same way with reading. she hated reading and practicing her phonics. It was a daily struggle that ended In tears. I ended up chucking all our curriculum and doing "100 easy lessons" by the end of the program, she was reading and now she reads for pleasure, which I never imagined she would.

So I know there's got to be something I can do differently that will make the light bulb go on. Flash cards don't work. She does love handling things. She'll rub her pencil eraser, squish her stress ball, peel stickers off.... so I think manipulatives would be beneficial.

I think she may do well with just playing a lot of games. Does anyone have any suggestions? We had math bingo, but she didn't like it. It was too much like flash card drills. I did pick up some cuisinere rods and miquon orange. I like the reviews left here for teaching Textbooks and CLA. I'm also going to sign her up for Xtra math to see how that goes.

Anyone else have a kid like mine? What worked for you?

My daughter started out with hearing problems which led to speech therapy and reading problems. Our first 2 years were focused on getting her speech better and getting her reading skills down. I also believe she has some undiagnosed learning/behavioral disabilities. She struggles to sit still, falls out of her chair several times a day, when I'm explaining how to solve a problem on the white board or with manipulatives, I can see she's checked out. I don't know if she's just bored or unable to focus.

When she's zoned out I'll ask her what a given number plus 1 is and it takes her at least a minute to answer. I'll have to give her the hint that it's just one more. It's very frustrating for me and she feels my frustration, which agitates her and makes her nervous which leads to more wrong answers.

I've tried iPad apps which feature multiple choice answers but she just picks down the line until she finally hits on the right answer. If the app doesn't allow multiple choice, it will take her almost an hour to complete 15 problems. She has absolutely no desire to learn math. I believe that it's because she struggles so much. She was the same way with reading. she hated reading and practicing her phonics. It was a daily struggle that ended In tears. I ended up chucking all our curriculum and doing "100 easy lessons" by the end of the program, she was reading and now she reads for pleasure, which I never imagined she would.

So I know there's got to be something I can do differently that will make the light bulb go on. Flash cards don't work. She does love handling things. She'll rub her pencil eraser, squish her stress ball, peel stickers off.... so I think manipulatives would be beneficial.

I think she may do well with just playing a lot of games. Does anyone have any suggestions? We had math bingo, but she didn't like it. It was too much like flash card drills. I did pick up some cuisinere rods and miquon orange. I like the reviews left here for teaching Textbooks and CLA. I'm also going to sign her up for Xtra math to see how that goes.

I do have one like that and I think you will have more sucess dealing with the root issue. Check out dianecraft.org we bought this: http://stores.diannecraft.org/Detail.bok?no=64

I will also add that TT did not work for my child because it asked him the same questions that any other math curriculum would (it just frustrated him). TT delivery method is different it is still the same old. The problems persisted until I worked on the drills seperately and now I am working through the processing issues with the brain integration therapy.

Edited by Hope in God

.....She struggles to sit still, falls out of her chair several times a day, when I'm explaining how to solve a problem on the white board or with manipulatives, I can see she's checked out. I don't know if she's just bored or unable to focus.

I think she may do well with just playing a lot of games. Does anyone have any suggestions? My dd loves games. Look at Lakeshore Learning; they have some fun math games (but sometimes other companies have the same game but cheaper). The Firestation Dalmatian game is fun.

... I'm also going to sign her up for Xtra math to see how that goes. Dd didn't care for Xtra math but she enjoys Dreambox (which I bought through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op).

(I posted earlier about CLE math). Dd does not have any (known) hearing, speech, or reading difficulties. However, the trouble sitting still, falling out of the chair thing sounds very familiar! You should see some of our learning times - talk about active. I try not to make her sit too much.

What you said about "checking out" when you are explaining math reminded me of something. Dd does not seem to learn math well from verbal teaching. She prefers to see a simple, direct explanation in black and white. But, she does enjoy verbal math practice. While she's practicing headstands, jumping, etc., I go over things like 9 + 8.

Sorry, my caffeine hasn't really kicked in yet. ;) I'll try to come back with some specific games that we have enjoyed. Hope you find what works for your dd and you.

I wrote a very similar post about my 8yo daughter recently. We switched to MUS for the reasons that you stated, and it is working wonderfully. We began back in Alpha, because she had a very shaky grasp on the basics (like place value, and that a number +1 is just the next number). The instructor in the videos explains math in a way that my daughter understands, and the manipulatives are helping her understand the concepts. And as a bonus, there are very few problems on each page, so she doesn't look at a page of math problems and get very overwhelmed. :001_smile:

Maybe she hates math BECAUSE she struggles with the basic facts??? Maybe concentrate and drill the basic math facts before changing programs?

Pam

Some favorite math fact games:

To 100 (and back): roll 2 dice and continue adding the total to 100 (subtract back down, if you wish). I would start with 1 die and race to only 20.

really good for making tens

Addition War

Xtramath is great, too

ETA: my kids (especially my ds) respond much better to these games when they are "just a game", not a part of school or math time

If you decide on a math change while you work on those facts, I am another person who had a math hater turn in to a math lover once we switched to CLE.

Edited by TracyP

I suggest taking a look at McRuffy math and seeing if that might be a fit for her. It now goes through grade 5, so if it's a fit you can stick with it long-term.

There are board games, manipulatives work and visual-spatial activities (tangrams, etc.) built into the program. The explanations are very straight forward. Almost every concept is practiced over multiple days with manipulatives (coins, blocks, counters) before the student ever encounters it in the workbook. The workbook pages are short, colorful and predictable. There are also a lot of listening activities. For ex. I say 2 numbers, you give me the sum.

I'm not sure if it's the right fit for your DD (only you can decide that), but it's definitely worth looking into.

As far as games go, do you have Sum Swamp? It's fun and very, very effective for practicing add/sub skills as well as even/odd. Also any board game that uses 2 dice will work for practicing addition without it feeling like "doing math."

Does she understand concepts and is only being held back for facts? Or is she struggling with concepts too?

It's not uncommon for certain kids to struggle with memorizing facts yet do fine forging ahead in concepts. If that is the problem, it could be why she hates math. In that case, I would separate math into two stands - concept and fact practice. Continue to move forward in concepts (letting her use tables for fact calculation) and work on facts daily as a separate session. Also, let her use manipulatives as much as needed. C-rods or an abacus can help her learn the facts while using them to move forward in concepts.

If it's concepts she's struggling with, then I'd want to find a manipulative approach that she will understand.

Also, with a workbook program, you can write the problems on a white board instead. Or do them orally and with manipulatives. Just because a worksheet is present, it doesn't mean you HAVE to use it that way. ;)

I'd also try out Buddy Math (you do a problem, she does a problem) to see if that helps.

Last year we used Saxon and Astro would collapse in tears at the sight of another worksheet until I started putting them on the white board for him. I didn't even have to do it every day, but we switched it up between him doing them on the white board, him doing the worksheets, and even him telling me the answers and me writing them for him (he was just in K/1 and I think the writing overwhelmed him a bit then).

Even Link didn't like the number of worksheets (stupid timed drills) that Saxon had and would shut down because of them. We switched his up in different ways, too.

(Overall, Saxon was just a terrible fit for us. Now Link does Singapore and I go through the workbook ahead of time and mark out some things that are repetitive or write at the top 'Have Mom check the last page - if you did well, you might be able to skip this one!' if I'm not sure yet. We also do all of the textbook stuff on the board, including the 'practice' pages. Astro does MUS and likes it, and seems to be learning well from it because it fits his learning style the best. :) )

We love Math U See! We've used it from the beginning. The manipulatives help my ds "see math". He can use them as much or little as needed.

I agree with boscopup. If it's facts I'd let her use what's needed to get them and just keep working and working on them. If it's concepts then I'd slow down and help her get it before moving on. We work a lot of problems on the whiteboard, switch roles, play games, etc.

I'm now trying to keep an eye on Pink to determine if I think she's more suited to Singapore or MUS, for future reference...

I have the same kid. I decided that the school timetable is not my son's timetable and until he mastered his math facts we are not going on with any curriculum. I think mathimatical concepts can be fairly quick to pick up once you have the foundation laid so we are laying the foundation.

What we do is Xtra math everyday (it's free: xtramath.org) and Dreambox when he wants to.

We've done some xtra math as well. We also do iPad apps that are FUN math ones - they aren't super hard or anything - just to refresh the memory on some of the basics. (Link was still struggling a little more with subtraction than addition when we started the year). We like Math Ninja and Math Bingo.

Hope you find something that works! I know that last year I was determined to stick it out with Saxon for the year (which I kind of had to do anyway - couldn't have afforded to go buy all new curricula in the middle of the year) but in the end both of the boys didn't advance much - Link went from Saxon 2 to Singapore 2A (though he's almost done with it 9 weeks in - a lot of review for him. But I'm glad we decided to go ahead with 2A for the mental math and word problems - those were the deterrents on the placement test) and Astro went from Saxon 1 to MUS Alpha. Astro is the one who really didn't seem to get anything from Saxon at all. I could ask him at the end of the year last year what 8+1= and he would look at me blankly and guess anything... 10? 6? So MUS is working MUCH better for him so far, including great scores on tests and everything! Yay!

Also, iPad apps for math we like: Numbers League is fun, Math Wings is good, Marble Math is cute and easy, and Rocket Math is enjoyable. All of those practice basic facts but in game format. We also use Math Board for drills. It's nice because it's extremely customizable so you can really determine what gets practiced.

:iagree: This was us, also. We were dying with Singapore Math. My son does much better with CLE. I love the review, the consistency, the format - it just really makes sense for us.