Menu

R&S English vs. CLE

sleeplessnights

We are finishing up R&S 3 for grammar this year and I have been impressed with the lessons. My oldest has learned a lot, though he still makes occasional adjective/adverb mistakes on his sentence diagrams. We are set to use R&S English 4 and Spelling 5 for next year, but...

I was glancing at CLE Language Arts 4 online and noticed that their lessons integrated grammar, spelling, and penmanship. I also noticed their "spiral" method for keeping grammar concepts fresh. I know that R&S reviews previous topics in the TM and some in the lessons, but my son could use constant continual review. I also liked the fact that it was a worktext so that he could work a little more independently and didn't have to write everything out.

So my question is: how does the grammar instruction in CLE compare to R&S? If R&S is far better, we will stick with it, but if they're close, CLE would work a lot better around here (with four kids, you know).

Thanks for your help!

We used R&S for the first few years, then I found CLE in 4th and we have never looked back. I love the constant review, and wish I had used it all along. My dd has always done it completely independently (with me there in case of questions, of course) ever since she started it. Instruction is excellent.

I like both but I wasn't very good at making the time to actually teach the lesson from the R&S TM. Some may disagree but I think most of the review is in the TM. CLE was a better choice for us because the review is built in.

"MIch elle" switched from R&S to CLE and has older dc so you could do a search for her posts to learn more.