Menu

If you think today's fashion is bad....

#25 was my favorite. I almost wish these were still available, just so I could see my husband's reaction when I bought him a pair of white lace see-through pants.

Did guys really dress like that? There's being secure in one's masculinity, and then there's dressing like Love Boat Barbie. Though I am really loving the word "Eleganza." Must fit that into everyday conversation somehow.

Why are their legs all so far apart? Did everyone in the 70s suffer from some sort of posture disorder or go horseback riding all the time? Look at the poor ladies in #9! And all the men in Superman stance. Good grief. :lol:

#25 was my favorite. I almost wish these were still available, just so i could see my husband's reaction when i bought him a pair of white lace see-through pants.

Did guys really dress like that? There's being secure in one's masculinity, and then there's dressing like love boat barbie. Though i am really loving the word "eleganza." must fit that into everyday conversation somehow.

bahahahahahahaha!

Why are their legs all so far apart? Did everyone in the 70s suffer from some sort of posture disorder or go horseback riding all the time? Look at the poor ladies in #9! And all the men in Superman stance. Good grief. :lol:

All their bits are squished so much in those tight suits, that they probably can't close thier legs or it will all bulge out the front. I am guessing that the only way to get them on, was to tuck! LOL

LOL. I remember these guys from the discos...Yep.

"Staying alive...staying alive...ah ah ah ah..staying ALiiiiiiiiive"

Laughing at the King collar that makes a man "stand out in splendor".

Mr. Shaft is pretty funny too. (Flagg Brothers, which seems to have cornered the market on pimp clothes)

Love the gold patterned and the green striped pants. And yeah...all my boyfriends wore white lace unisex pants (???)

Like one commenter said though, she'd take these over the sagging pants of today. Yesterday I saw a teen boy with pants belted just above his knees. What the heck. Then he got on a bike. I couldn't figure out how he did that.

...and to think that no one really believes me when I tell them how bad the 70's were for fashion. :D I remember shopping with my mom and not being able to find *anything* to buy. Most of us spent the decade in blue jeans for lack of anything better to wear.

Aw, come on! You had a fine selection of exciting print pullover jac-shirts and Celanese Fortrel poly-cotton wide legged pants!

So they can fit a woman curled around their leg, looking like she's about to bite his knee. That was apparently a common pose.:lol:

:001_huh:

How did the human race continue with people walking around looking like that? What kind of women would want to be with men dressed like that?? :lol:

Maybe that is exactly why, the women wanted to get the men out of the ridiculous clothes! All the nakedness led to procreating, not the clothes. LOL

When I saw the Flagg Brothers ads, especially the center model in #3, my thought was, "That's exactly how guys at my college dressed for 'Pimp 'n Ho' parties." Was that ever considered fashionable for white guys?

Yes it's like Cruella de Pimp or something. But what is really funny is when I looked back at that ad and noticed the Bavarian Boy outfit in one of the smaller photos.

This thing is like great literature; no matter how many times I read it, I keep finding new treasures!

The guy in #4 looks like a serial killer forced to wear a pastel prison jumpsuit to keep him placid.

And I really dig the neckline on the first guy in #17. Not a less-is-more time in our sartorial history, I guess.

I have to admit, though, that I can't figure out why #11 is included. Those shoes don't strike me as all that awful. Pretty bad, true, but nothing compared to the lacy ladypants or the Boogie On Down suit (#5; you didn't think I'd make that name up, did you?).

Um, well, yeah, that is interesting!

That was mostly familiar and mostly ugly all at that same time.

Did we dress like that? Um, well, yeah we did. No hats, no canes, no platform shoes, no lace see thru pants. :blink:

High wasted, printed, wide legged pants, yup. We sure did.

Jeans that tied, yup, we did.

Hair did look that, altho I don't recall walking around hugging my DH's knees!

I did have a pair of green pants that were wide legged, and I wore them with a belted brown sweater. I was sure I was cute in it too! DH thought so. We were dating at the time.

THere were not as many over weight folks back then. Maybe that makes up for the bad taste in clothes.

See, I'm old. I remember many of those fashions and a few of the actual ads (like #12).

:iagree:

I remember seeing #12 in magazines quite often!

I think they could have found many more diverse ads to post, though -- I thought there were way too many Flagg Bros ads -- and honestly, where were all of the pictures of leisure suits and disco suits? What about the early designer jeans? Not every guy dressed like an extra from Shaft,, you know! And I didn't see the word Qiana anywhere in those ads, so I have a feeling that the person who compiled them might be too young to actually remember any of it. :tongue_smilie:

To continue a theme; for your late-night viewing pleasure:

Sears 1973 catalog. I had the long dress on page 8...the one in the middle. I LOVED that dress from the ages of 4-6 and wore it until it fell apart.

There is a weird break, but the rest of the catalog continues here:

http://lileks.com/institute/sears1973/14.html

My brother and I had the Joyce Miller original bedding...the one on the top...from 1974 until 1979.

I used to want my mom to take my to the thrift shop on Fort Myers so I could buy old clothing (like from the early 60's or the 50"s ) which looked a lot better.

Yes, some of the clothes in the Sears catalog I saw people wearing. No, most people I saw did not wear the clothing in the first website, the 25 outrageous ads. But I did grow up in a VA suburb of DC and people wore suits to work or military uniforms. The women wore outfits like the blouse/sweater vest/pant outfit. I was a kid and a teen in the 70s and no one around me was wearing either pimp clothing or disco clothing.