Menu

Did anyone here hire a birth photographer?

I didn't but wish I did. My friend is a photographer, and recently did labor/birth shots and they were beautiful. Absolutely stunning. I cried looking through the sideshow. I love the birth process though, and am actually considering becoming a certified doula, so...:001_smile: Nothing graphic or weird. Just beautiful pictures of a mama going through the hardest and most exhilarating moments of her life. If we ever have another baby, I really want to hire one.

My brother did most of mine and my 20 year old did my grandson. I personally feel that you need someone you know and are very comfortable with. They have to be able to blend into the background so that they can get so truly good candids. Of course, there will be some pictures that are kind of yuck and not ones that you really want to keep (just shred them) but if you are lucky you will get a few that are absolutely amazing. That's my grandson fresh out of the oven, just a few minutes old.

post-183-13535087566699_thumb.jpg

post-183-13535087566699_thumb.jpg

I am going to for my next baby. My doula took some pictures at my first birth, and I'm so grateful for them! We have no pictures from our second birth because I didn't hire a doula and everyone else was otherwise occupied.

I would hire one who has good references and who has some familiarity with the type of birth you are planning--but really, a birth photographer with some experience has probably seen it all and should be able to just melt into any background.

You dont have to have pics of your VajayJay if you dont want to. You can have the baby right after birth, first breastfeeding, etc. You dont need the camera lens right up in your kitty. :001_smile:

I had someone take birth pics with L- but she was VBA2C and it was easier to take pics than with a section. I dont regret it at all!

I didn't when my children were born 20 & 15 years ago. I don't think I knew about that option back then but I tend to be fairly clueless most of the time.

DD didn't have one but wishes she did. Our very good friend is a photographer and we have seen her work and it is beautiful. She did the newborn pics for DD and DGD and they are wonderful. This friend has taken birthing pics for 4 of our friends in the last year and they are all tasteful and beautiful. Then again, this whole group of women used the same midwife, and attend the same church so it is more like a sisterhood then a professional relationship. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I could let a total stranger take those kinds of pics. It's much more intimate than a wedding or engagement. Then again, this friend of ours is getting lots of business from non-church friends and women who don't use the same midwife so...Oh, I just don't know.

I just want to see cute newborn baby toes.

I really wish I would have. There are so many moments that are just beautiful and it is not like your husband will be in the right frame of mind to capture them. I still have pictures in my memory that I wish I could just print. KWIM? I can close my eyes and see the first time each baby looked at me and the way their hands were little fists and the first time nursing...it makes me sad that I can't share them with anyone. At the very least I think my DD would like to see it someday...? I know I would love an album.

Find the right photographer to capture what you are looking for. It doesn't have to be all pics of crowning and that, ya know?

I don't think I'd ever want a video, but if I could go back I would definitely want more pictures. And good pictures.

Not here. I'm not a big fan of gritty realism in photography. Nor am I "into birth." My enthusiasm for the subject was moderate in the beginning, and has waned further with each delivery. The last one actually went very well, but the closest I got to exhilaration was during 3rd stage, when the midwife and I got into a discussion about the new (Catholic) liturgical translations. :D

I like the babies fine, but wish they could have just installed a zipper or something. ;)

I've been taking birth pics since July and I love it! You need to sit down and chat about what kind of shots you want, you know, no money shots, etc. I love doing the newborn exams and the first pics with Mom nursing..so sweet:)

:001_wub: I'm a hobbyist photog here and I'd really love to get into birth photography myself down the road (ie when I don't have a newborn or one on the way!).

You dont have to have pics of your VajayJay if you dont want to. You can have the baby right after birth, first breastfeeding, etc. You dont need the camera lens right up in your kitty.

:lol::lol: Yeah, I should have been clearer in my first post--I don't want gritty, bloody, baby-crowning pictures. More like some pics in labor, pics of DH supporting me in labor, pics when the baby is just out and we're meeting him, etc etc etc. These would mostly be for me, DH and baby to enjoy.

DH does not like to use the camera. He'll snap pics with his iPhone, but he does not like to use my big DSLR. Even if I put it on auto and give it to him, he sort of acts like he's handling a live grenade, LOL. And I have very few pics of me holding my other babies or the three of us together, which is my big reason for considering this--just to have someone in the room who is SOLELY there to take photos and do nothing else.

I have an acquaintance who has done a few births and I like her work. I'm just not sure how I'd feel running into her socially after she's seen me in all my birthing glory, KWIM?

Edited by LemonPie

My friend and I own a photography business, so I asked her to take mine. I never noticed her, but looking at the pictures afterward I was so glad she caught all the things I never realized I missed! Here are some from her birthday (it was at home, in my tub):

1) My husband and three older children watching

2) Baby and I meeting for the first time.

3) My dad praying for the new baby while the rest of my family stands around

I highly recommend it- but yes, it has to be the right person, and you cannot feel inhibited by her presence.

post-32943-13535087567152_thumb.jpg

post-32943-13535087567441_thumb.jpg

post-32943-13535087567727_thumb.jpg

My friend and I own a photography business, so I asked her to take mine. I never noticed her, but looking at the pictures afterward I was so glad she caught all the things I never realized I missed! Here are some from her birthday (it was at home, in my tub):

I highly recommend it- but yes, it has to be the right person, and you cannot feel inhibited by her presence.

Awww, sweet pics! Thanks for sharing :001_smile:

My brother did most of mine and my 20 year old did my grandson. I personally feel that you need someone you know and are very comfortable with. They have to be able to blend into the background so that they can get so truly good candids. Of course, there will be some pictures that are kind of yuck and not ones that you really want to keep (just shred them) but if you are lucky you will get a few that are absolutely amazing. That's my grandson fresh out of the oven, just a few minutes old.

Precious baby!!

These are great pictures! I love the middle one! :)

I didn't but I wish I had. I follow a birth photographer on Facebook and have seen some of her pictures, and they are simply gorgeous. Nothing crude or bloody - they are all very tasteful: pictures of labor, sometimes pictures of the actual birth, but focusing on mom and dad's expression, no crowning pictures!! Also pictures of the family after, and siblings meeting baby (if there are siblings), etc. I really do wish I had some photos like that.