Menu

10yr old suddenly struggling with Latin

Halcyon

I think i have figured outr a plan, which is simply to slow down and do a LOT of review, but had anyone else encounters their child hitting a wall in Latin? We have hit personal pronouns in Henle, and perhaps it its because this is more straight vocabulary than before, he seems to not be doing particularly well. He has trouble with vocab, NOT with grammar as much and i think we need to go back and cement some vocab and review review review third declension i stem endings. He also is not remembering exceptions, so i think i will type up a list of exceptions for him to focus on.

Thoughts from btdt?

From my experience:

1. New things unsettle old things. (This seems to apply to math, too.) A new grammatical structure causes, for a while, the previously understood grammar to unmoor in the brain after a while, it all settles again with the new thing in place.

2. Some Latin grammar is harder than others.

3. 10 is very young for Latin. Not criticizing; I have my 9-year-old studying Latin. Slowly. But extreme youth can mean not just going more slowly, but sometimes covering things in a different order, or to a different extent.

4. We like to alternate periods of vocabulary acquisition/study, combined with translation, with periods of grammar acquisition/ study. Each helps the other.

YMMV.

Are you seeing this wall in anything else? (I.e., could there be a temporary 'brain fog' going on?)

I have no btdt yet, but I have a 10 yr old with some brain fog signs (but I have a girl, so hormones and/or growth spurt definitely could be playing a part for mine). :lurk5:

Are you seeing this wall in anything else? (I.e., could there be a temporary 'brain fog' going on?)

I have no btdt yet, but I have a 10 yr old with some brain fog signs (but I have a girl, so hormones and/or growth spurt definitely could be playing a part for mine). :lurk5:

Perhaps, but not to this degree. I think all of a sudden all the information which he ad been processing fairly seamlessly hit a wall..and he just needs a couple of weeks to digest. That is what i hope anyway.

Sharon, thank you for your insight!

Daviya, yes! Great idea! I had already downloaded some readers. What are your thoughts on Ora Maritima? It's free.....:tongue_smilie:

How about taking a break and spending a little time with Lingua Latina? Not as a substitute curriculum, but just to build some confidence and excitement? Look, I can translate effortlessly! :)

I just found this on ebay cheap! Yay. Looks great. And i found a free vocab list for it online. Yay twice! Thank you.