Menu

Essentials in Writing, how is it going?

Alison in KY

I'd love to know how everyone is doing with EIW. We're using 3 levels and are on lessons 11 and below. I'm not sure how well my kids are retaining things, and I've discovered I haven't any idea how to use commas :).

Alison

LOL! My kids will be using the 8th & 9th grade levels this year, so no grammar woven in. I decided to do a review of capitalization and punctuation first, so we haven't started Essentials yet this year (used the 7th grade level last year and that went VERY well--my review). Anyway, your post made me chuckle because there are a LOT of comma rules! They are easy to overuse or underuse.

Merry :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I started levels 3, 4, and 7 this year. After a couple of weeks, I combined the younger two in level 4 to save my time. I am finding that I THOUGHT I knew how to use commas, but had missed a couple of things. We are on lesson 7 and have yet to get to any real writing yet, but so far I am liking it. I will see after a year!

• 3 weeks later...

I am bumping this up for any more reviews/thought.

We are using Grade 3 with WWE2 this year (almost ready to go into WWE3)

My plan is to switch to WWS at some point.

Wondering if anyone could share some thought in Essential in Writing and how it compares with Writing with Skill?

The poor quality of the videos has about done me in for the 2nd grade level. It is shaky, out of focus, with terrible feedback. Often, what he says on the board has little to do with the workbook page, and I still have to reteach all of it. I will not be purchasing again.

The poor quality of the videos has about done me in for the 2nd grade level. It is shaky, out of focus, with terrible feedback. Often, what he says on the board has little to do with the workbook page, and I still have to reteach all of it. I will not be purchasing again.

That's too bad. I'd call or email the author and give him your feedback, perhaps he would consider giving a refund. The feedback on the 7th grade video we used last year was noticable but not awful. This year on the 8th & 9th grade videos it hasn't been an issue, so he must have straightened that issue out. Haven't had shakiness/focus issues with these 3 levels (or not yet, we're only 5 lessons in 8th/9th).

I've never had lessons that didn't directly correlate with the workbook or work pages (we use the CD-ROM) though, that really surprises me--the whole point is that he is teaching it. I'd definitely bring that up or ask questions, as that would not be what I would expect.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts, though I can't compare the 2. I have been using the 3rd grade one for a couple months now and we are enjoying it. It's great to have my son focus focus on one thing at a time and have a chance to practice it. It is short enough and to the point which is great. Though the video may not be of highest quality, I don't think it's that bad, my son has never complained- the OP noted it's shaky, what I do notice in the dvd is that at times the cameraman (or woman =) ) will get up close or farther apart, but it has not distracted us or my son. Also I have not had the issue of the worksheet lining up with the dvd lesson.

I also just ordered the 1st grade set for my younger one and so far we are enjoying it too, and with the dvd I don't notice any changes in the camera setting- so far in the first 5 lessons it has stayed in the same place. I plan on continuing using the program for next year too, so I do wonder about the 2nd grade as described, a little concerning, so I agree with Merry that the author should be notified, as he is great about getting back to you and I know he wants feedback- positive or negative!:001_smile: