Menu

Notgrass America the Beautiful

mothergooseof4

I am planning on ds 7th doing American History this year and for 8th. I planned to use TruthQuest this year with all of the kids, but am having a hard time making it happen with no schedule. I have been all over the internet the last few days trying to find a curriculum that would fit him. I can manage the younger two without one. I like HOD, but ds doesn't.

Notgrass states that ATB is a one year program, but covers early Am. through current day. Most curricula take two years to cover this time period. Would it be worth spreading it out over two years with some extra literature selections from HOD, SL, MFW, etc.? Is it clear what to do and when? Is it fairly independent? The literature included seems a little young for a 7th-8th grader.

I like the idea of spreading it out over two years because it would allow me the freedom to add some of the literature that I have been aching to do with him and some literature studies as well. Is ATB adequate coverage of this time period? Would it prepare ds if I choose to put him in MFW or HOD for high school? Anything else you want to add about ATB?

We are currently half way through ATB for a 9th and 7th grader. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely split it up and do it over two years. I may even use it as the spine for Sonlight's Core 3 and 4 (or whatever letters they are now). I think that would be near perfect for me. :)

My only complaint about ATB is that it's pretty superficial - it only skims the surface - which is why I think adding it as the spine for Sonlight would be great. More lit. books about the time period would help alleviate that feeling.

I love how it goes over other American "things" that aren't normally covered - American landmarks, geographic regions, biographies. The lessons flow pretty well and I like how clearly laid out it is. My daughter can easily do the lessons on her own.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

We are currently half way through ATB for a 9th and 7th grader. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely split it up and do it over two years. I may even use it as the spine for Sonlight's Core 3 and 4 (or whatever letters they are now). I think that would be near perfect for me. :)

My only complaint about ATB is that it's pretty superficial - it only skims the surface - which is why I think adding it as the spine for Sonlight would be great. More lit. books about the time period would help alleviate that feeling.

I love how it goes over other American "things" that aren't normally covered - American landmarks, geographic regions, biographies. The lessons flow pretty well and I like how clearly laid out it is. My daughter can easily do the lessons on her own.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Cynthia,

Please see my other thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=426942

Oh, and are the questions for the literature books in the Student Book or one of the supplementary workbooks?