Menu

if your children own "personal" pets...

like a hamster or reptile...do you make them pay for their food, bedding and other things it needs...or is that part of your family budget? We have 3 hamsters, owned by 3 different kids. They get allowance and I can't decide if buying food and bedding should come out of their allowance or not.

A huge brick of bedding which lasts several months is about $7 and a bag of food which should last about 2 months or more (but doesn't always becasue I think they put too much in the cage and then it get's thrown away when the cage gets cleaned) cost about $4.

What do you do at your home??

My DD has a snake, and she pays $5/month to ongoing costs, which basically pays the snake's food bill and a little towards bedding. She also pays $5 each time the snake goes to the vet. This was what she proposed as part of her original proposal, and it's a sizable chunk of her discretionary money, but not so much that she doesn't have any at all.

I think that either way is fine, but it should be an upfront deal, spelled out BEFORE the pet is brought home.

If we didn't have that agreement, and I wanted my kids to get an idea of how much it cost or prevent them from carelessly wasting stuff, I would consider an increase in allowance meant to cover those costs. I do think it's a good idea for them to see the cost more directly, and if they are careless, it hits their wallet.

I buy basic bedding and food. She buys treats, decorations and things of that nature.

:iagree:

This is what we have done when our kids have personal pets. We don't have any just now, but when we had guinea pigs, hamster, and our one son really wanted a cat it was treated this was as well.

I think it depends on how much you give your kids for allowances. When our DS had a guinea pig we paid for everything because he was getting only a small allowance, and it was intended to be strictly fun money for him. If we had been giving him a larger allowance we might have done things differently.

Little bit pays for food, which is very reasonable for her small mammals. I do make a point to give her enough quarter-earning small chores to enable her to do this. The initial investment for setting up the habitat came half from me and half from her savings account (quite a few years of birthday monies ETA - it didn't cost all that money, I just didn't feel bad taking $ out of savings because she went many years without spending birthday $ on anything)).

Edited by Seasider

Each of the kids has a guinea pig and we pay for everything they need. If they want something extra they tend to go in together for it.

Punk wants a lizard and we have gone round and round about it. (DH and I) we have told him he can get it IF he can pay for all of the set up costs and show that he can afford to purchase its food.