Menu

Mind if I share?

La Condessa

I haven't mentioned this to anyone IRL because I don't want to sound like I'm bragging.

We started preschool-at-home this month, and I had it all planned out to alternate fun activities that could include my 22-month-old with a little bookwork for the older sister. I was all ready with coloring supplies to occupy little sister during bookwork, even extra copied pages from the math book for her to scribble on so she felt more like she was doing the same thing as sister. My careful preparations satisfied her for one day. After that she became more and more insistent that she wanted her turn with the books, too, until I finally gave in. Now they each get their turn doing a page of phonics and a page of math, and she is delighted--but I feel like a nut!

She can actually answer the simpler questions from the phonics correctly, but I thought she wouldn't be able to do the math book at all, since she didn't even recite numbers in order yet. But now she knows the order, and she's getting the hang of counting objects. And last week she looked at the word 'am' and sounded it out--or at least, she sounded like she was sounding it out. Maybe she just recognized the whole word and then imitated the way that I sound the phonics words out for her. This morning she picked up a silly hat with two tall points on it, and said, "M for me!" (Her full name starts with an M, though we don't normally call her that, so I am really curious whether she was referring to her full name or to the word 'me' when she said that.)

Anyways, I was feeling like I was starting academic work rather young with my 3 1/2 year old, and I certainly never intended to start with my not-yet-2-year-old, but it's what she wants.

Your daughters sound delightful! Congratulations on having such an eager-to-learn tot, and kudos for encouraging her.

also, congratulations on the arrival of your little son. I hope that he is well, and am sure his sisters are in love with him; and am sending well-rested thoughts your way :) ...

Your daughters sound delightful! Congratulations on having such an eager-to-learn tot, and kudos for encouraging her.

also, congratulations on the arrival of your little son. I hope that he is well, and am sure his sisters are in love with him; and am sending well-rested thoughts your way :) ...

Thanks, Ana. Well-rested I am not, but that's not actually the little guy's fault. He sleeps from about 9pm to 2am, and I study from 9 to 12 or 1. (I'm still working on my degree.) It's not his fault I don't go to bed until he's nearly ready to get up!

Thanks, Ana. Well-rested I am not, but that's not actually the little guy's fault. He sleeps from about 9pm to 2am, and I study from 9 to 12 or 1. (I'm still working on my degree.) It's not his fault I don't go to bed until he's nearly ready to get up!

Oh you sweet woman! I can see that well-rested is not in your Immediate Future. So many blessings for you, with your littles & your studies & your DH and your home too. Do try to eat plenty of protein & veggies, and treat yourself a little. Or a lot when possible. :grouphug:!

I always thought stuff like that was crazy. My older boys were bright but they started pre-school type activities in the expected 3-5 age range. Slowly and relaxed. Mostly I read and they played. My 5 year old is doing regular Kindy stuff.

But my dd who just turned 2 this summer is a different ball game. I'm actually planning "school" for her when I thought she would survive on the benign neglect that every other 2 year old seems to experience. But no---she NEEDs something.

She sat with the I Spy An Alphabet in Art today and traced with her finger every letter---very carefully. And then she pointed to the painting and said "Who's that?" I just frustrated her by saying what was in the painting. "Oh that's a little boy with his pets." "WHO'S that?" It took me a minute before I realized she wanted me to say "Francisco Goya" and then she would repeat "Goya" and on to the next page.....:001_huh:

It's a bit strange at times. But no---you are not alone with planning things for the little one. I'm beginning to realize it's better to give them what they want rather than deal with a frustrated and cranky 2 year old.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Oh you sweet woman! I can see that well-rested is not in your Immediate Future. So many blessings for you, with your littles & your studies & your DH and your home too. Do try to eat plenty of protein & veggies, and treat yourself a little. Or a lot when possible. :grouphug:!

Thank you.

She sat with the I Spy An Alphabet in Art today and traced with her finger every letter---very carefully. And then she pointed to the painting and said "Who's that?" I just frustrated her by saying what was in the painting. "Oh that's a little boy with his pets." "WHO'S that?" It took me a minute before I realized she wanted me to say "Francisco Goya" and then she would repeat "Goya" and on to the next page.....:001_huh:

It's a bit strange at times. But no---you are not alone with planning things for the little one. I'm beginning to realize it's better to give them what they want rather than deal with a frustrated and cranky 2 year old.

I wish your daughter and mine could meet. My second daughter has no interest in playing with "babies" (=all the children we know up to ~6 months older than her), but bigger kids generally treat her like a baby, so that her sister is her only playmate.

Thank you.

I wish your daughter and mine could meet. My second daughter has no interest in playing with "babies" (=all the children we know up to ~6 months older than her), but bigger kids generally treat her like a baby, so that her sister is her only playmate.

Oh we have these issues all. the. time. BUT, we also have the issue where we realize we are expecting the 3yo to act 6 and she's acting 3. It's a fun ride! :lol: