Menu

The irony

I was in the store the other day. They had displays for the kindle fire. My boys were playing Angry Birds on it. My little one couldn't see so my oldest picked him up and held him so he could also play. The three of them took turns and watched each other play.

The manager came up and started talking to us. He commented to me that my boys are the most well mannered boys he has seen, and that he was astounded at how well they got along. He said he's never seen brothers play together so nicely, and he told my oldest what a great big brother he was for how he was helping the youngest. He said, "I can tell you boys really like each other." He asked me how I got my boys to get along so well and help each other. I told him they just are like that. I didn't do anything. He started telling me how his two kids do nothing but fight and declare their hatred for each other. I smiled and told him that my boys have their times when they get angry too.

Then he asked where they went to school. I told them at home. He said, "Oh, homeschool? But aren't you afraid they won't be socialized and learn how to get along with others?"

I literally just stared at him like this :confused::001_huh:.

I finally just smiled and said, "Nope. Not worried at all. Could you help me find the kindle covers that are on sale?"

I wonder if he later realized the irony of it all. :lol:

Love that. I had something similar this weekend. I was at church for a fellowship meal after service. I sat down at a table and there were two empties next to me. One lady (a P.S. teacher) said, " We saved those chairs for your girls. Aren't they going to sit with us?" I told her no, they were eating lunch at nother table with their friends. Then she asked me if they were still hsing or were they going somewhere for school this year. I told her we still hs, but they do take co-op classes one day a week. Then, sensing where she was going I tried to turn to someone else and start up a conversation about something else. But she wasn't done. She got my attention and said, "The reason I am asking is because at my high school we got some kids that were hsed and they had no socialization skills at all..."

And I sit there looking at her as my kids are sitting at a table full of kids talking and eating nicely. I said something silly like people everywhere can have all kinds of problems... She still tried to go on with, "yes, but..." and that time I turned to my neighbor and did not look back.

Seriously. I wanted to tell her all of the people I know who went to public school and have messed up lives: divorce, jail, abuse problems, what have you. Does she blame that on where they went to school. And I wanted to ask her what kind of "socialization skills" were those high schoolers lacking? They didn't try to be popular or wear the newest styles? I am proud that my kids are lacking that type of skill. I feel like that is what she is implying.

:iagree:

I have been known to throw in a snarky comment or two.

"You mean socialized like your fighting spawn?" (ok, don't jump on me, I might just THINK this and say something a little more polite.)

Dawn

You were far more tactful than I would have been. I would have said "didn't you just tell me how well behaved they are??" with a big smile.

He probably figured it out later and realized what a dumb comment it was.

:lol:

My perspective is a little different than that of the others who have responded.

No, he didn't see the irony, and he certainly didn't think through what he was saying. BUT he was trying to be really nice. He had already complimented your children profusely and was chatting comfortably with you. He spoke as he did--unthinkingly--because he was comfortable.

The conversation was an opportunity to open his eyes. If he had been trying to be rude or judgmental, then I would shut down the conversation firmly. But if he is genuinely not seeing the logic, and asking the question with sincerity, then why not answer the question?

"I'm not worried. As you can see, they are able to socialize so nicely that you complimented me on their friendly behavior. They also have tons of friends and lots of fun. People often think of homeschoolers as never seeing anyone, but in reality, we are with people and friends quite a bit, and they can socialize very well."

Guest submarines
My perspective is a little different than that of the others who have responded.

No, he didn't see the irony, and he certainly didn't think through what he was saying. BUT he was trying to be really nice. He had already complimented your children profusely and was chatting comfortably with you. He spoke as he did--unthinkingly--because he was comfortable.

The conversation was an opportunity to open his eyes. If he had been trying to be rude or judgmental, then I would shut down the conversation firmly. But if he is genuinely not seeing the logic, and asking the question with sincerity, then why not answer the question?

"I'm not worried. As you can see, they are able to socialize so nicely that you complimented me on their friendly behavior. They also have tons of friends and lots of fun. People often think of homeschoolers as never seeing anyone, but in reality, we are with people and friends quite a bit, and they can socialize very well."

:iagree: Though when my kids are complimented on their good behaviour in public, I try to immediately run away as not to ruin my perfect homeschooler image--my kids tend to bicker a lot too, and quite unpredictably. :tongue_smilie:

Last week a museum guide kept saying how lovely my kids were, how polite, how curious, how articulate...and how great that we homeschooled, and that all homeschooled kids are like this, and I seriously felt too much pressure. :D

:iagree: Though when my kids are complimented on their good behaviour in public, I try to immediately run away as not to ruin my perfect homeschooler image--my kids tend to bicker a lot too, and quite unpredictably. :tongue_smilie:

Last week a museum guide kept saying how lovely my kids were, how polite, how curious, how articulate...and how great that we homeschooled, and that all homeschooled kids are like this, and I seriously felt too much pressure. :D

"Dang it, Kids. You were so well-behaved we can never go back!" :)