Menu

Woman arrested for letting kids play outside

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mom-sues-polices-she-arrested-letting-her-kids-134628018.html

I'm not jumping all over the police for this, because I'm sure there's more than one side to the story. My issue is whether it's legal or not to let your kids play outside unsupervised. My kids play outside all. the. time. without my being with them. They have boundaries and we know the neighbors. They're close enough that I can see them if I step out on my deck or look out the windows. They're 10, 9 and 7. Is this illegal?

So how does the MOM get arrested for endangerment, when it was the NEIGHBOR who 'says' she hit the kids (mother says kids were never hit)? I mean, are you not supposed to be in control of your vehicle at all times? If I hit a biker, is it the biker's fault?

I would sure hate living there!

I don't get this. The neighbor says she hit one of the kids with her car, but she's not in trouble? Did she even notify anyone? Did the kids not say anything? If one of my kids was hit by a car, I'm pretty sure they'd say something and you'd better believe I'd be all over the neighbor. It sounds like the neighbor has an axe to grind. Perhaps the noise bothers her?

Those were electric scooters, right? I'm wondering if the busybody neighbor just doesn't like the noise. Or maybe she just doesn't like kids. Or maybe she doesn't like the military (woman's husband was in Austin on military duty at the time).

From one of the articles: Cooper spent over $7,000 in court and legal fees before the unsubstantiated felony charges against her were dismissed," the complaint states. "The incident also led to an investigation by Child Protective Services, requiring Cooper to take her children to the CPS office in Houston.

"Her children were separated from her and interrogated by child abuse investigators. CPS found no cause for concern regarding the well being of Cooper's children and dropped the investigation."

I'm usually not on the jump to sue wagon, but in this case, I hope she wins big against the neighbor, and the officer/police force for not doing a proper investigation first.

OP- no, it is not illegal to let your kids play outside unsupervised. The only thing I could think of was the time of day, and maybe they were violating curfew laws, but that wasn't mentioned. The link one*mom shared, said that the neighbor lied, and told police she had hit one of the kids w/ her car, and it was obvious that they hadn't been. No injuries or anything. Some people are just......

The mom who was arrested has back problems, surgery history. There was something about the handcuffs cutting into her skin as they were put on too tightly.

Who knows with stuff like this? The media is going to paint it in a way that provides interest to the public.

The actual story if it ever comes out is probably nothing like what one reads. The decisions of the court may not even match the reality after the lawsuit is dealt with.

So, I let my kids play outside and someone hits them, and *I* get in trouble? :confused:

Or....I let my kids play outside and someone calls the police LYING about something to get the police to do something in their best interest. And again, *I* get in trouble?

WTH :confused: There has to be more to this story. Even if it is just that the kids trampled the woman's garden and made her angry. But even then, the police. It almost sounds like she has encountered them before too. The way they treated her.

I'm amazed I haven't heard anything locally about this case yet.

I'm sure there's more to the story, but having had multiple run-ins with LPPD over the years, I know first hand that often they react first and think later. And they typically don't care a whit about what the accused/victim has to say at the time.

Those were electric scooters, right? I'm wondering if the busybody neighbor just doesn't like the noise. Or maybe she just doesn't like kids. Or maybe she doesn't like the military (woman's husband was in Austin on military duty at the time).

From one of the articles: Cooper spent over $7,000 in court and legal fees before the unsubstantiated felony charges against her were dismissed," the complaint states. "The incident also led to an investigation by Child Protective Services, requiring Cooper to take her children to the CPS office in Houston.

"Her children were separated from her and interrogated by child abuse investigators. CPS found no cause for concern regarding the well being of Cooper's children and dropped the investigation."

I'm usually not on the jump to sue wagon, but in this case, I hope she wins big against the neighbor, and the officer/police force for not doing a proper investigation first.

OP- no, it is not illegal to let your kids play outside unsupervised. The only thing I could think of was the time of day, and maybe they were violating curfew laws, but that wasn't mentioned. The link one*mom shared, said that the neighbor lied, and told police she had hit one of the kids w/ her car, and it was obvious that they hadn't been. No injuries or anything. Some people are just......

:iagree:Stories like this make me glad that our yard/house is not visible to the neighbors or from the street and we have nice neighbors.

Wow! I just can't imagine.

I'm amazed I haven't heard anything locally about this case yet.

I'm sure there's more to the story, but having had multiple run-ins with LPPD over the years, I know first hand that often they react first and think later. And they typically don't care a whit about what the accused/victim has to say at the time.

Hopefully someone at the state atty's office notices the BS this time round and steps in to investigate this PD.

If I lived there I think I might have to start sending that office some clippings.

That is just weird. The neighbor should have charges for false report if nothing else. But then what is the deal with the police officer?

My mother lives in LaPorte and next door to a police officer even (no cul-de-sacs in her subdivision though). I have never been the slightest bit worried about my kids there. In fact, after we finish our family and stop fostering, I'd be thrilled to move there! Hopefully I forget this article before we go visit :)

Here's a news video: http://wizbangblog.com/2012/09/19/mom-arrested-for-letting-kids-play-outside/

I have to admit, everything I'm seeing, including that charges against the mom were dropped, makes it sound like the neighbor and the cops acted inappropriately.

The fact that everything was dropped makes me think there was some MAJOR over reactions going on. There have been some MAJOR over reactions in the past. But-- like everybody else said- there HAS to be more to the story somewhere, right??

when I posted on fb, someone pointed out that it was 11 pm when it happened but i didnt go back to check . . . so if there were curfew laws, she might be in violation, but no, not abandonment. very weird.

I wonder if it was 11pm when the kids were out OR 11pm when they came and arrested her?

ETA - one of the articles said the police came a few hours after the neighbor called.

Edited by kitten18

I wonder if it was 11pm when the kids were out OR 11pm when they came and arrested her?

ETA - one of the articles said the police came a few hours after the neighbor called.

The news story I saw on our local news was an interview with the mom in which she said that her kids were playing outside for a couple hours, she was outside in a lawn chair, they came home, she was getting them ready for bed/they had just been put to bed, and then the police showed up.