Menu

My new house is smelly? Suggestions?

It's smelly as in musty. There's nothing really awful or rotting or anything. There's no standing water.

But the owners left two years ago and a daughter -- in her twenties -- camped in one bedroom but mainly lived w/ a friend. So the house has been unoccupied really for two years.

And it has a closed up musty smell.

I'd love to spend the big bucks and get an expensive diffuser (the ones near $100 really smell incredible and would take care of a large house) -- those things that are oil w/ sticks coming out of them. But dh would freak. We've already spent enough.

My next thought is Yankee Candle diffusers. I don't want an actual Yankee Candle because a friend once set her condo on fire so I'm nervous now around candles.

But is Yankee Candle a good product? Should I try the diffuser?

Any other ideas for a musty smell?

TIA!

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
not enough caffeine yet. . .

The stick diffuser things aren't any more spendy than the Yankee Candle scent options. Bath & Body Works has some nice scent options that cost less than YC.

You could get some DampRid hanging bags (Home Depot sells them), which will suck up and moisture and give off a scent. At least then the $ is helping with the issue, not just making a pretty smell.

(IMO you have to be really super careless to burn the house down with a jar candle, but that's another thread)

(IMO you have to be really super careless to burn the house down with a jar candle, but that's another thread)

Yes, this person was super not careful. But as I get older and am pulled in a million directions with homeschooling, the dog etc. I'm always afraid I'll forget or do something stupid. But, yes, this person was careless.

Alley

Open all windows and turn on fans.

I agree to cooking. Use fabric softner - cheap brand - soak old rags in them and wring them out then hang them up. As they dry the clean scent helps to freshen the air. Sprinkle baking soda on the carpets leave over night then vacuum.

Time will help.

Yes, this person was super not careful. But as I get older and am pulled in a million directions with homeschooling, the dog etc. I'm always afraid I'll forget or do something stupid. But, yes, this person was careless.

Alley

I put mine on the stove top between burners. I do not use the stove while the candle is burning. But it is about the safest places I've ever found to burn a candle.

Open all windows and turn on fans.

I agree to cooking. Use fabric softner - cheap brand - soak old rags in them and wring them out then hang them up. As they dry the clean scent helps to freshen the air. Sprinkle baking soda on the carpets leave over night then vacuum.

Time will help.

:iagree: This. A thousand times this. If you want a little more of a good scent on your carpets, then I would look at Dollar General or Family Dollar or even a dollar store and get one of the scented carpet deodorizers. At most, maybe $3?

You don't have to actually burn a candle. Buy the scented votives, tarts, or tea lights and leave them around the house. The good ones will give of their scent just sitting. Just make sure they're out of reach of tots and critters.

Edited by hsingscrapper

Alley

I hear ya! I love my candles but yeah I know that I forget stuff all the time when there is so much going on.

See, I'd leave the smell and clean it out-hot water with some spic and span to start..my guess is if was a camp out deal, you probably have some oily residues left around holding in the odor...dawn dish soap is really good for that as well, just keep the toweling fresh as you wipe down.

I'd wanna know where it was coming from, but that's just me.

Other than that, do you like the smell of coffee? That's a pretty heavy scent. Take some beans, throw them in some shallow bowl, put little votive in the center and burn the candle down.

Coffee has really heavy oils in it- they tend to stick around and go airborne.

What kind of flooring is in that room, is it something you can really wash up?

I would open the windows and keep them open as much as possible. I would be mopping and vacuuming, and I would be baking lots of bread. I bake bread anyway, but it really does make the house smell wonderful. If you are not a baker, buy frozen bread dough at the store and bake that.

I don't know where you live, but when it is time to turn on the heat, the mustiness might get worse before it gets better. But, that might also help. Sometimes warming it up and drying it out helps.

I'd do a thorough cleaning (wash every inch of the flooring) and spray Febreze fabric spray on the carpet, curtains, etc. Get the fabric spray, not the room freshener. Smell the spray before you buy -- get the one that is as close to unscented as possible - maybe the pet odor remover, or see if there is one that says "odor neutralizer." The formula in Febreze actually removes the offending odor but I usually hate the scent it tries to replace it with.

I put mine on the stove top between burners. I do not use the stove while the candle is burning. But it is about the safest places I've ever found to burn a candle.

:iagree: I do this as well.

You can put dryer sheets in air vents so the air passes over them before entering the room. This helps put fresh scent in the room. In our last house I would buy those special fragrance things to attach to the filters in the air return. Some were pretty powerful but also helped spread scented air. My grandmother used to just spray her filters on occassion with air freshener or perfume if she felt her home needed some 'clean air'. Essential oils on light bulbs (put on cool bulbs, not hot ones) is something a friend swears by but I have never tried.

In one house I wiped down every wall with something (vinegar and water???) and that removed lots of dust and odors as well.

:iagree: That's where I put ours too, when the power goes out. I will also put one in the kids bathroom, because it has a large tile counter top, and won't be easliy knocked off.