Menu

Is it me, my kids, or ....

Beimao

SOTW vol. 3? We've been through vol. 1 and loved it. Had a blast with vol. 2. Now we're learning from vol.3 and it's so boring :001_huh:. I'm teaching it to my 3rd and 1st grader, reading a section two times a week while they color to keep them busy, questions and map work one day, activity the other (which we're not enjoying as much this year), and our first attempts at journaling. I see so many grumpy faces- should I keep at it, we're only on ch. 3, or does this sound like a downward spiral of doom for us at this time? Is there a better way to teach this? Help Me!!!;)

I'm in the same boat. SOTW 3 isn't as "fun" as 1 & 2 were. It is dealing with some much more serious topics, which my kids aren't really enjoying, and it feels like it's written at a slightly higher level, which makes it a little harder to understand.

I'm going to keep on pushing on--we try to do a lot of activities to make it more interesting. If it was just the reading and narrating, my kids would probably mutiny by this point! ;)

Yeah, didn't work for us- here are some past threads.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=234043&highlight=sotw I've linked 3 other threads in post 5.

I wish we had waited to start SOTW and would have gotten to 3 when the kids were in 4th and 5th. I think it would have worked so much better for us.

There are so many great american history curriculums for early elementary I am going to pick one of those for my next round of students (who will be K and 2nd next year when we are on year 3 of the history rotation).

There are so many great american history curriculums for early elementary I am going to pick one of those for my next round of students (who will be K and 2nd next year when we are on year 3 of the history rotation).

That's what I did towards the end of Vol. 2 at the Reformation era. World history was just getting to be so dark that I decided to switch to U.S. history.

Honestly, we never tired of Story of the World. I took six years to do it with dd, and am in the thick of SOTW4 with ds. We all love it.

This year my dd is reading a history text by another author and has been lamenting because she misses SWB's clear narrative. Next year, for Renaissance, we hope to go back to SWB's History of the Renaissance World. We LOVED her HOAW.

I did vol. 3 w/ a 1st and 3rd grader. It does become more work as they get older, but it is appropriate. For my 1st grader, I did require less, and we did a lot more American History: units on the founding fathers, lots of Nest videos, lots of picture books and color sheets from online. There were some chapters that I didn't require much of out of my 1st grader. I would just have her focus on the vocabulary in those and do copywork along the lines of "A monarchy is..." or "The capital of France is.." There was always something for me to focus on with her and call it good.

We are back to vol 1 this year, and I don't reqret having gone through all 4 volumes and would do it again