Menu

Thinking of taking the kids to Mt. Vernon and Monticello. Any thoughts?

We've lived in VA for almost 5 years now. We've been to DC once and the kids loved it. We've also been to Williamsburg and Jamestown and they really liked those. We've recently gotten back to early american history and after learning about Washington and Jefferson and the Barbary Pirates today I got to thinking what about field trips to Mt. Vernon and Monticello. They would be on separate days a week or two apart. Mt. Vernon is about 3.5 hours away and Monticello is just a hair over 3 hours away (we're in the Hampton Roads area)

If we get to them at noon on which ever days we go will that still give us enough time to really see things?

Any tips or advice you can give me about either one. My kids are 13, almost 11 and 7. (oldest and youngest are boys, middle is a girl if that matters)

Hi. I know Monticello is heavily visited, and would recommend contacting the ticket office for tips on what days might be "low" days. I have seen lines to get in the house which were more than an hour long. Recommend you pick a nice weather day. There is a lot to see outside the main house, which is smallish and cannot accomodate the hordes.

The same goes for Mt. Vernon; somewhat easier to visit because it is a larger-feeling space.

Both are marvellous places to visit and really bring history alive.

Have fun!

Monticello offered a kids' tour when we visited 2 years ago with an 11, 9, and 7 yr old. It was informative and educational and lots of fun. Every child was given a "job". The older kids on the tour got "cooler" jobs so even the young teens had an OK time. There is also a hands on museum that our children enjoyed.

We also visited Mt. Vernon and spent nearly the whole day. We enjoyed it as well but it was swarming with atrociously behaved middleschoolers on field trips. That was in early June fwiw. We had a tasty lunch at the Mt. Vernon Inn.

I'll post again if I remember anything else.

Neither are usually crowded on weekdays outside of summer. I think both locations can easily be done in 3 hours or so, though if you have more time, there's more to do.

Monticello has a WONDERFUL children's discovery center (or something like that) and it's just great. I think even older kids would enjoy it. Mt. Vernon has a nice set of exhibits. The house tour at Monticello is superior, IMO. But they're both good.

No real tips... just go and enjoy. Both are worthwhile visits.

Mt. Vernon is awesome. Great grounds, great museum. Plus, a few miles down the road, you can visit the Gristmill & Distillery. It is small & not generally well-known, but very neat to see. It's a lovely place for a picnic if you need a place to sit down & have lunch (bring your own) -- right by the mill & streams.

Food is not allowed on the grounds of Mt. Vernon, but there is a cafeteria & a restaurant there. Otherwise, you'll need to exit the grounds to eat at picnic tables near the parking areas.

[quote name=Stacia;4327880

Food is not allowed on the grounds of Mt. Vernon' date=' but there is a cafeteria & a restaurant there. Otherwise, you'll need to exit the grounds to eat at picnic tables near the parking areas.[/quote]

We are going in 2 weeks, and I was wondering how far it is from the house to the parking lot. My thought is we would come back to the car to eat, but I have littles and don't want to walk forever back to the car. Thanks!

ETA: Also, can you exit and reenter on the same ticket?

Edited by Andalasia
question

We are going in 2 weeks, and I was wondering how far it is from the house to the parking lot. My thought is we would come back to the car to eat, but I have littles and don't want to walk forever back to the car. Thanks!

ETA: Also, can you exit and reenter on the same ticket?

It's not close unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure you can exit and reenter though.

Okay thanks. I think we'll just eat there for lunch and eat sandwiches for dinner on the way back.

The thing is, the cafe is nearly as far as he parking lot, iirc. There's an entry complex with shops and dining adjacent to the main lot - we've been on weekends and had to walk a short way to get to there, but it might be closer on a weekday. It's a short walk to the grounds and a decent bit of walking all over the grounds. So you'll still have a bit of walking to do. Just FYI.

Loved, loved loved Mt. Vernon!! We went there on a field trip to DC and NYC, and it was my favorite. The grounds are beautiful, museum is great and food is pricey but good! We went at the end of May with 5 million other 8th grade groups, but Mt. Vernon is so spread out, it didn't seem too crowded. As for doing it in an afternoon, I think you could, just pick and choose what you want to see on the map they give you. It is a lot of walking for littles, FYI. The mansion, the museum, and the gravesite are all musts. We didn't see everything, and I'm planning on taking a return trip the next time I'm in the area. Good luck and have fun!!

If you're not in a rush, you might consider visiting Monticello on March 6 for their homeschool day. Prices are discounted etc. (My co-op is actually participating this year, and we are all* very excited.)

As for Mt. Vernon, yes, gorgeous place, though last time I was there the line was too long to see the Mansion (though I did sneak through part of it; felt very National Treasure). I still got to see a lot of cool things, but my limited timeframe ruled out seeing that, which I still regret. If you make the trek all the way up there, you definitely don't want to miss seeing anything.

As a side note, if you'd like a terribly interesting way to experience that area, may I invite you to join the 5,000 of us who will be running the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon on Oct 7 (ack!!!), which goes from Mt. Vernon up GW Parkway, across the Potomac, and into National Harbor. :D

* By which I mean me, since I'm the Field Trip Chick.

Edited by Classical Country Mama