Menu

Help: biotic vs abiotic factors

kiwik

I did the first chapter of the first Mr Q science with my sons (3 and 5) the other day. They loved it but now everything has to be classified. I have no trouble with something dead still being biotic and I can follow crude oil being biotic but surely being made of wood doesn't make my house biotic? What about a wooden spoon? Is soup biotic or just the vegetables in it or does the water component take precedence?

Aaagh why did I start this? The rest of the unit seems simple though.

Thanks

Um, I'm not clear on what you are asking. I did a PhD on the effect of Biotic and Abiotic factors on the population of mice, so I definitely know what you are talking about but I don't understand your question.

I think of biotic and abiotic factors *affecting* something. So biotic factors affected my mouse population size because individuals of the same species and different species competed for food, and predators ate the mice. Also, the tree produced nuts, but some years they had masting years, so the nuts were in huge abundance. Abiotic factors are droughts that would reduce the food, or the cold weather that would actually kill the mice.

If you have a clear question, I would be happy to answer it.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

In Mr. Q's Life Science curriculum (free to download), he starts with a discussion of abiotic vs biotic things and asks the student to classify items around their environment. (http://www.eequalsmcq.com/download%20life%20science%20student%20by%20Sunit.htm.) It's the first lesson in unit 1. I think if you think too hard on it, you can start to skew abiotic vs biotic, as he defines them.

To the OP, no the wood in your house or spoon, as he prescribes, is not biotic. There's the four rules he mentions that define an organism as alive. If an item doesn't agree with those rules (as in, I don't think your wooden spoons breath or grow even though the tree they came from once did - and if they do, w00t for a science discovery :lol:), then that item is abiotic. At least, that's how I understood it. :)

In summary:

abiotic:

The environment (weather, soil content, pollution, etc)

biotic:

intraspecific competition (same species)

interspecific competition (different species)

predation

food resources (that are alive like plants or other animals)

If you are talking about termites living in your house:

The wood your house is made of is an abiotic factor affecting the termites

Humidity or poison are also abiotic factors.

Fungus, ants, etc are biotic factors competing for food

The biotic factors have to have a feedback loop. A house is made of dead, treated wood which does not reproduce. It has an abiotic affect on termites. If you are talking about a live tree in the forest as food then it is a biotic factor.

Edited by lewelma

Thanks, I was ok until I started thinking about classifying dead things and reading definitions that said a dead rotting tree was still biotic and so was oil because it was composed of dead organisms. I can do physics, inorganic chem, maths etc but biological sciences. I think perhaps I should just take it at face value and move on - things that have been simplified are usually more confusing.

Ruth in NZ - I find his use of the word factor a bit confusing - i was thinking of just deleting it.

I think a stone is not biotic a tree is maybe all that is really required.

Edited by kiwik
addition

Oh dear... we were just about to get started on this. I am not really a science person and life science is my *least* comfortable piece... will this confuse him?? Is there a better way to describe biotic/abiotic FACTORS to him in a very simple manner?? (If you tell me all the above is a simple explanation, then perhaps I'm in trouble, LOL. :D )

What advantage do you get out of using the terms abiotic and biotic instead of living and non-living?

because they are not the same.

biotic materials for example are derived from living organisms, but do no longer have to be actually living - crude oil being a perfect example. Can't really call it "living".