Menu

I thought schools have moved away from door-to-door sales...

My experience is that schools and groups SAY that kids aren't supposed to sell door-to-door-that they're supposed to bring the order form to parent's job site, sell to friends and family, and so on. But in practice, in order to actually get the prizes or get to go to the party, that's usually not enough unless the parents are lucky enough to work in a job where they're the ONLY person with young kids and that allows them to bring in order forms.

So, parents end up taking the kids door to door, or worse, sending them out on their own.

Oh no, they are still going strong. It hasn't hit yet here but will in a week or two. We have tons of kids in our neighborhood and there are 3 schools (elementary, middle, and high) so they all have their own "goods". :) Then there's the groups who are fundraising throughout the year (the track team, the band, the cheerleaders, etc). There is always someone selling something in our neighborhood.

I feel bad because I usually don't answer the door if I see it is a child with a catalog. :blushing:

At the same time, my 5yo dd brought home PTA fundraiser of coffee sales and a school wide wrapping paper fundraiser.

I sent both back with a note that we don't participate.:001_smile:

I do buy the wrapping paper, it's good quality! But dd came home the other day w/ a coupon card fundraiser. I looked at her and said "I'm not buying one! And you can return the rest, because we don't do sales." My son had already done his coupon card thing w/ football. He knows just to turn them back in though. And then the teachers on dh"s campus got a free one. :tongue_smilie:

It's my 3rd year of Cubscouts and this year I have *2* boys selling that dratted popcorn. Of all the ridiculous things to sell - way overpriced gourmet popcorn?! ugh. I flat out told them this year that I would buy in advance the amount we sold last year & sell it directly & that would be it. I can't stand door-to-door sales!

When I was in school, we were told we "had to" make one sale.

To which I woud say......"What are the consequences if I don't? Is it in the school handbook that I must sell 'one'? If so, show me the consequences outlined there and I will accept the consequences." If I donate to a school, I donate cash. The full amount of which can go to the school, not the company making the product.

It was really bad, actually, they used to scream at us and threaten all sorts of consequences like not being allowed to walk across the stage at graduation. I think we were all too scared to push it, but I found it distasteful at best.

Again, I would say...."show it to me in writing and we can discuss it with mutal respect." I work in pharmacy and get yelled at all the time. Usually by frustrated sick people, who don't understand how their insurance works.

If someone starts to push me around, I tend to sink my feet in deeper. I figure is a person has to yell to get something accomplished, then they don't have the legal support they need to prove that it is required. Put it in writing, and I will discuss it with a person. Yell at me, and I will get very quiet and not budge. I have been in retail too many years to cower under vague threats and raised voices.

I hate this kind of stuff. It is one that really just boils my blood. My kids sell nothing. They do not participate in anything that has to sell either because I don't want my kids to annoy others. I despise going to the store seeing buckets to donate stuff or kids up in my face trying to sell something or ask for money.

It is annoying and rude in my opinion. I am so glad that moving to the middle of no where makes it so that people do not come to my door.

Again, I would say...."show it to me in writing and we can discuss it with mutal respect."

When I was in high school, the administration did not treat students with respect.

I do not send my kids to public school, much less the same school I attended as a kid.

The idea of threatening children into selling things, not to mention spending school time on assemblies to promote the whole thing bugs the heck out of me. I think it should not be allowed.

I hate this kind of stuff. It is one that really just boils my blood. My kids sell nothing. They do not participate in anything that has to sell either because I don't want my kids to annoy others. I despise going to the store seeing buckets to donate stuff or kids up in my face trying to sell something or ask for money.

It is annoying and rude in my opinion. I am so glad that moving to the middle of no where makes it so that people do not come to my door.

The only kind of fundraising I tolerate is the kind where a portion of a business's profits go to those fundraising.

A few nights ago we took the kids to Cici's. My husband and I held our breath because we saw a group of cheerleaders and knew they'd ask for money. Rather, on the way in they politely told us if we mentioned their name at the register, they'd get a portion of the profits. I can do that... I try to teach my kids to be self sufficient and not to beg off strangers. Fundraising seems directly opposite of that. And it puts the strangers in an awkward position!

In the last two weeks, I have turned away 5 elementary-aged kids selling something or another. Tonight's kid was probably preK age. :001_huh:

Just another bonus of homeschooling... At least my kids don't have to deal with that stuff!

I hope they're coming with chaperones! Sounds like a tragedy/lawsuit waiting to happen if they're not. :glare:

When I was in high school, the administration did not treat students with respect.

I do not send my kids to public school, much less the same school I attended as a kid.

The idea of threatening children into selling things, not to mention spending school time on assemblies to promote the whole thing bugs the heck out of me. I think it should not be allowed.

:iagree:

There are laws against child labor for a reason! I see fund raising of this type to be manipulation at its finest......at the assemblies they push each kid to sell something like..1000 rolls of wrapping paper to get a trip to Disney Land!!!! Then the fine print, and only one winner per USA and blah, blah, blah. But all the kid hears is "Win a trip!!!! " They come home excited and it is up to the parents to do the work.

I'm a sucker for those blasted kids, so I hate answering the door when they come around. I do, though...I've bought wrapping paper (BEST stuff ever), Girl Scout Cookies, car washes I never went to, etc.

Good thing there's karma....now my daughter has been a busy bee selling entertainment books (and soon - cookie dough) for her choir, which pays for a choreographer their teacher brings in from NYC once a semester. Fortunately she's done well, selling well over her quota. But then, this is the girl that when she was 7 was extremely disappointed when she learned there were other things to do as a Brownie than sell cookies...the girl's a natural-born sales rep. :D

To which I woud say......"What are the consequences if I don't?.

The consequences for my daughter for not selling at least one item for a band fundraiser was she didn't get a slice of pizza when they had the pizza party. She didn't care--it was during her band hour which wasn't that long after lunch, and the brand of pizza served makes her sick so she would have passed anyway.

Sales are still going strong here.

Totally thought of this post today. DH was working from home and I was out for a few hours. He told me that 5 different children came to the house selling things.

And that he just had to buy the oversized Nestle crunch bar for $2. And didn't share. :glare::lol:

And I guess the kids said, "Mom never buys anything." Trying to make him feel bad. :lol:

I wish school kids did not have to fundraise all the time. :( But that's a whole other thread....

The consequences for my daughter for not selling at least one item for a band fundraiser was she didn't get a slice of pizza when they had the pizza party. She didn't care--it was during her band hour which wasn't that long after lunch, and the brand of pizza served makes her sick so she would have passed anyway.

Sales are still going strong here.

My niece wasn't allowed to go on the field trip and had to sit in the office all day.

I will buy the candy bars the local nonprofit preschool sells. The candy bars come from the local candy shop. They make their own chocolate bars and they are so yummy! That is all I buy. I figure I help the nonprofit and a local business. The candy bars are $1.00 a piece.

At least they're selling something. Around here, we get the kids standing in front of the grocery store with donation buckets. Since when do we encourage children to panhandle?

:iagree: That is much worse. I see it EVERY weekend and I'm surprised all of the businesses allow it. I wouldn't let my child participate in that. But my DD can sell girl scout cookies all day long. I'm her best customer, anyway. :lol:

My experience is that schools and groups SAY that kids aren't supposed to sell door-to-door-that they're supposed to bring the order form to parent's job site, sell to friends and family, and so on. But in practice, in order to actually get the prizes or get to go to the party, that's usually not enough unless the parents are lucky enough to work in a job where they're the ONLY person with young kids and that allows them to bring in order forms.

So, parents end up taking the kids door to door, or worse, sending them out on their own.

My husband and brother both work for a firm that ruled against, as they put it, "pan-handling trinkets at work". Employees CONSTANTLY brought in forms and pressured colleagues to buy junk they didn't want. Somebody complained to management and that was it. NO fundraising at work.

We have a no solicitation sign on the lawn now and one at the back door that says, "If you are selling something, do not knock. We do not purchase EVER." It's not the friendliest of signs, but it ended the insanity because I had "panhandlers" from the local school district here every other week....football, basketball, baseball, band, choir, drama club, debate team....you name it. On top of that, the local private school had a fundraiser every.single.month.! It's an absolute constant with them and then my niece goes around with cookie dough sales every year to raise money to go to camp! I began to dread the ringing of the doorbell.

Do schools in Europe do this kind of fundraising? I'd be curious to know.

Faith