Menu

Phonics trouble with my K-er...

angela&4boys

We began Saxon Phonics K about six weeks ago. While ds is retaining some, he often remembers the picture as opposed to the sound or even letter when he sees the letter. Is it the program? His age? What programs/methods don't use picture associations? I'm somewhat familiar with WRTR, but prefer something with a daily lesson plan.

I'm wondering if I should halt everything before more confusion takes place. [sigh] This is our fourth ds that I've taught to read and we've not encountered this until now.

I do like the pace of Saxon K. He is not an eager reader, but does show some interest. I also like that it has them sounding out words rather quickly, giving him an incentive.

Should I change programs all together? Or just alleviate the picture association? I'm leaning towards looking for something different altogether as I have done enough tweaking in my homeschool career and prefer something open-and-go.

Please share your thoughts...

Well, as far as Spalding is concerned, you don't need daily lesson plans, because every day you're going to do pretty much the same thing: review previously taught phonograms, teach new ones if necessary, dictate/analyze spelling words. No biggie. :)

:iagree: :thumbup1:

I've not used Saxon Phonics, so forgive my ignorance... Is it possible to just cover the picture part with a post-it note or something similar? Or just rewrite what he is to read on a whiteboard or paper?

There are three sets of card so I could alleviate that card set altogether. However, I'd need to tweak the dialogue. Food for thought...

Well, as far as Spalding is concerned, you don't need daily lesson plans, because every day you're going to do pretty much the same thing: review previously taught phonograms, teach new ones if necessary, dictate/analyze spelling words. No biggie. :)

Ahh... okay. Does the manual also give you an idea as to when to introduce words and books?

are you also using the spelling cards? I found that we had to use all the materials in the program, the minute I stopped or didn't use something his retention fell behind that week.

I found the constant repetition laid out in the teacher's manual really helped.

Yep, we are using it all. :confused:

Ahh... okay. Does the manual also give you an idea as to when to introduce words and books?

You begin teaching the Extended Ayres List when your dc have learned the first 45 phonograms. Yes, the manual says that. :-) When they complete words in Section I, you begin having them read from good children's literature (the fourth edition recommends specific books in a specific order, but it isn't mandatory to do it that way). Introducing books is discussed in "The Reading Lesson." In Part 2 (5th and 6th editions) there is a list of books which children can read after learning the first 66 phonograms, then books which they can read after completing Section L of the Extended Ayers List.

Some oldies but goodies

Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Alpha-Phonics

I can't remember right now, but I know one of them specifically chooses NOT to use pictures for exactly the reason you've stated, the kids memorize the wrong thing. I think it's alpha phonics that is picture-less...

I have heard very good things about both books and they're both relatively cheap for the workbooks alone. Worth a try perhaps?

I was having that trouble with my DD, we switched to opgrt and honestly she just took off immediately. the pictures in the other programs were just too distracting to her but given the boring pages in opgtr she went from being a complete non-reader to reading cvc words and sentences in a day.

You begin teaching the Extended Ayres List when your dc have learned the first 45 phonograms. Yes, the manual says that. :-) When they complete words in Section I, you begin having them read from good children's literature (the fourth edition recommends specific books in a specific order, but it isn't mandatory to do it that way). Introducing books is discussed in "The Reading Lesson." In Part 2 (5th and 6th editions) there is a list of books which children can read after learning the first 66 phonograms, then books which they can read after completing Section L of the Extended Ayers List.

Thank you, Ellie. WRTR is sounding a little less intimidating... ;)

OPGTTR doesn't use pictures, I think for that reason.

I have it on my bookshelf! Worth a shot!

Some oldies but goodies

Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Alpha-Phonics

I can't remember right now, but I know one of them specifically chooses NOT to use pictures for exactly the reason you've stated, the kids memorize the wrong thing. I think it's alpha phonics that is picture-less...

I have heard very good things about both books and they're both relatively cheap for the workbooks alone. Worth a try perhaps?

Great info! Thanks for the additional suggestions.

I was having that trouble with my DD, we switched to opgrt and honestly she just took off immediately. the pictures in the other programs were just too distracting to her but given the boring pages in opgtr she went from being a complete non-reader to reading cvc words and sentences in a day.

That's so encouraging! Since we own it, I'm going to give it a go first. Hoping it's "The One". :)