Menu

Gentle Grammar for 5 year old?

Guest xap

Looking for some gentle grammar to start teaching basic parts of speech etc. I guess it would be nice if the program were also thorough - something we could keep using, or at least easily build on without much review, past K/1st.

I guess I could ask if it's completely unnecessary to do this at age 5. I think some parts of speech are needed in teaching reading/spelling ideas. I am OK at grammar, but I think I like the crutch of curriculum, since I have a fear of missing things, or not making things easy enough to understand.

First Language Lessons is a great, gentle introduction to grammar. It's mainly oral, with short lessons.

It's not necessary to use a grammar program with a 5 year old. :D You don't need to know grammar to learn to read. FLL is my first choice for beginning grammar though. I start it in 1st grade.

:iagree: All of that.

(and I found most 1st and 2nd grade grammar programs were really unnecessary, as my son didn't learn anything he hadn't figured out from speaking English... 3rd grade programs started to teach something "new", at least a little bit)

I've picked up mad libs where i see them. Some of the ones I got at the dollar store (5 below, maybe?) were pretty iffy, but i found one about a favorite show (airbender? at another discount place) you can usually find them in bookstores and on amazon, where you have better selection. I think they run $4 or $6 full price?