Menu

Singapore - standards edition or US edition?

Momof2littles

I'll be the voice in the wilderness :)

We love the US Edition :).

*Going to single-color illustrations by the 3rd level books has definitely helped-- DS is very easily distracted by multi-color books and pictures, but the monochromatic pics in the US Edition are fine.

*People say there is *more* review in the Standards Edition. The US EDition is absolutely LOADED With continuous review every few pages. Any more review and DS would go stark.raving.mad.

*The IP books match up with the US Ed. Since we use them in line with the books rather than later, as a review, it's nice to have them match up :)

*I think there is no "right answer" to this question. YOu can use either edition and be quite happy. I just wanted to toss out some specific reasons why we like the US Edition, in case any of them also applied to your situation. If they don't, but the reasons why people like Standards appeal more to you, I don't see any reason why you should not pick Standards.

I'll be the voice in the wilderness :)

We love the US Edition :).

*Going to single-color illustrations by the 3rd level books has definitely helped-- DS is very easily distracted by multi-color books and pictures, but the monochromatic pics in the US Edition are fine.

*People say there is *more* review in the Standards Edition. The US EDition is absolutely LOADED With continuous review every few pages. Any more review and DS would go stark.raving.mad.

*The IP books match up with the US Ed. Since we use them in line with the books rather than later, as a review, it's nice to have them match up :)

*I think there is no "right answer" to this question. YOu can use either edition and be quite happy. I just wanted to toss out some specific reasons why we like the US Edition, in case any of them also applied to your situation. If they don't, but the reasons why people like Standards appeal more to you, I don't see any reason why you should not pick Standards.

Thank you! What do you mean by what I bolded? :)

There is nothing wrong with using the IP (Intensive Practice) books with the Standards Edition, but they were designed for the US Edition, so the topics will line up with the US Edition.

That is not a big deal if you are not using them "in line" with the program-- ie chapter by chapter. Many parents don't; they use them a semester or even a year behind, either as review, or because they find the IP books to be more of a challenge. I *only* mention it because there are some parents who are very compulsive about being "checkbox checkers" in terms of really wanting to do everything the way they perceive to be "right" in terms of design, and it would be upsetting to them to not be able to have the topics line up directly with the books.

I personally use the IP books "in line" with the text, because sometimes we find the workbook too easy, and use the IP book problems instead, but I do not think that is the norm (and it is not the case for every chapter by a long shot, either-- sometimes I use it "in line" because my learner remembers better when he sees a topic multiple ways, and the IP book sometimes presents things just a shade differently, and that helps him retain it better).

But many parents and kids successfully and happily use the IP books a semester, a chapter, or a year behind the regular text and workbook, and do well with that approach, without worrying about the topics lining up at all. For me, it is a benefit, but unless it bothers you for some reason, it does not need to be a dealbreaker; it is just information that the IP book topics do not line up with the Standards Edition in terms of order of presentation, and some topics in Standards will likely not be presented in the IP books at all.

It's fairly easy to line up IP with Standards if you wanted to EXCEPT when Standards has topics that aren't in US Edition (negative numbers is a good example). I don't think this is much of an issue until level 4+ though.

(the extra topics are one reason I use Standards, though those topics would be covered in any good prealgebra course, so it isn't a deal breaker)

Nittany Jen explained this pretty well. The IP books correspond lesson by lesson with the US Edition Textbooks and Workbooks. So if you are the type to wants to stay firmly "on topic" it is easier to use the IPs with the US Edition.

In practice many people use the IPs "behind."

For us, I prefer more review than what is offered in the US Edition. So I like the fact the Standards has a great deal more built-in review. While we don't really use the IPs "behind" the fact that they are not directly aligned with the lessons in the SE books (and I don't attempt to allign them) means we get even more (of a haphazard sort of) review. For for us this feature is not a "bug" but a "feature."

Different people have different needs. And it is nice to have options.

Bill

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was not the Standards edition written to correspond with California state standards, thereby covering certain topics sooner than they are actually covered in the country of Singapore?

The order of topics presented is different between the two series, and there are a few additional topics in Standards as well, though nothing earth-shattering.