Menu

Newbie Waves Hello & Insight Welcomed!

Guest UrbanYogini

Guest UrbanYogini

Hello Everyone ~ I have found these forums several times over the past year as I searched for reviews and personal experiences to aid in my supplementing my daughter's education at home.

My daughter recently started Kindergarten at a small Catholic school in our local city. While I am very happy with our school choice no school is perfect and I realize and look forward to afterschooling as a way to supplement. At her school they are using Modern Curriculum Press Phonics Level A and learning D'nealian manuscript handwriting....

As of now I am focused on teaching my daughter to read with a strong foundation in phonics (purchase TOPG but I am not sure it is the right one just yet) and I really want to supplement science as my daughter had an AMAZING foundation at her preschool but science appears to be this schools weak area...... all that said I want it to not burden my daughter homework wise so I am very open to suggestions of good ways to supplement. I am not sure if I should just plow thru the TOPG or if I should also do something like Oak Meadow or some other Waldorf based afterschooling right now I am just really open.

Edited by UrbanYogini

Guest UrbanYogini
What I am doing with my k'er is the "Let's Read and Find Out" series from the library, watching Bill Nye and Magic School Bus videos (easy way to let tired kids rest after school) and buying science kits for Christmas presents. Best of luck and welcome!

Those are all great ideas for science. While we don't watch TV on the weekdays I do think those may be items to make an exception for or to make a priority for us to watch on the weekends.

Also I have a couple of the "Let's Read and Find Out" books and really need to make a point to get more of them. And great idea getting science kits as Christmas presents. :)

What I am doing with my k'er is the "Let's Read and Find Out" series from the library, watching Bill Nye and Magic School Bus videos (easy way to let tired kids rest after school) and buying science kits for Christmas presents. Best of luck and welcome!

My son's school evidently uses Magic School Bus videos for at least part of their science. Tonight he was telling me all about supernovas!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Some good readers for beginners are:

All About Reading readers

Pathway readers

CLP readers

Nora Gaydos readers

For science, Usborne science encyclopedias are great.

If you want to supplement math, I recommend Life of Fred elementary when she is ready.