Menu

Does this happen to you?

Or am I just a freak? We're finishing up SOW 4 and I feel like I am tearing up at every other chapter reading about the events of the last 100 years. My kids think I'm an bawl baby! We just read about the end of the Cold War and listened to Leningrad. I was trying to read them the words but I was too choked up! Not pregnant or otherwise hormonal for any reason. Apparently just an emotional fool. Is it just me?

I cannot tell you how many times I have cried at the end of a great book with my kids. I get a funny look on my face and they know the tears are coming. They actually laugh about it now.

Glad to know I'm not the only one either!

Elise in NC

Edited by speedmom4
Typo

Do you mean like how I cried so hard at the end of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes that I couldn't finish the last few pages and my kids came over and all sat on me to help me feel better and my daughter had to finish it because I just couldn't?

Yes! I love this! I'm so glad you all are like me.

I think it is because you can see the results of those decisions right now. You likely know people who lived in those times.

Plus, atrocities and such were so well documented and widely known. I totally understand.

:iagree: We have actual visuals from most of these events. It's harder to see them as history, like Hannibal or Genghis Kahn. I feel that way, too.

I don't know what I'll do when we get to Modern history. We are just starting medieval history and it can seem so recent compared to Ancient history.

How about we just stop at the end of Medieval history? That would work, wouldn't it?

I cried at the end of The Door in the Wall :tongue_smilie:

Modern was tough for me too.

I was tearing up a little reading 'What Katy Did' yesterday. I think our offspring take our brains and leave us with a few extra sentimental hormones or something. I am sure I used to be cleverer and a lot less sooky.

Rosie

Totally OT, but what a great word, sooky. May I use it? Does it translate exactly as sentimental or is there more history to it that allows for the implied meaning?

Oh please oh please, I want to use that word. :D

Totally OT, but what a great word, sooky. May I use it? Does it translate exactly as sentimental or is there more history to it that allows for the implied meaning?

Oh please oh please, I want to use that word. :D

:lol:

If applying the word to oneself, it's a mildly self effacing word for sentimental. When applying it to someone else, it's a more derogatory word. A sook isn't a sentimental person. A sook is a cry baby who needs to put on their big peoples undies before we all :nopity:

:)

Rosie

Do you mean like how I cried so hard at the end of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes that I couldn't finish the last few pages and my kids came over and all sat on me to help me feel better and my daughter had to finish it because I just couldn't?

Dd9 just read this Sunday. I had told her it was hard for me to read because it is so sad so she decided to see what it was all about. She came in sobbing when she finished it - you know the ugly cry? I felt so bad for her. Apparently I didn't explain clearly enough that it is REALLY sad!:confused:

Dd9 just read this Sunday. I had told her it was hard for me to read because it is so sad so she decided to see what it was all about. She came in sobbing when she finished it - you know the ugly cry? I felt so bad for her. Apparently I didn't explain clearly enough that it is REALLY sad!:confused:

My dd is super sensitive too. I am worried about some of the stuff coming up - like other people have pointed out about the modern era.