Menu

energy levels and carbs

So, I've been dieting for 3, going on 4 weeks and have lost 5lbs. I've also lost the vast majority of my energy, even though I'm eating MUCH healthier than I was prior to going on the diet.

Today, we were in a situation of having to eat pizza at an impromptu gathering. I didn't know ahead of time, so I couldn't pack my "approved veggies and protein." I enjoyed a nice slice of pepperoni with rest of the folks. This afternoon, I've got more energy than I've had since starting the diet. What does this tell me? Not enough carbs?

Maybe add in something like sweet potatoes or more fruits?

This is a good idea.

I cannot really explain how poor my energy levels have been. On Tues, I have an hour and a half to wait between dropping off and picking up dc from their co-op classes. Before the change in diet, I would run to the market, drug store, drop books at library, etc. Yesterday, I went to the bookstore and just sat. I didn't even feel like browsing the store. For the last 3 weeks, I have been cutting my walk short, or not going at all, because I have not had any energy. This cannot be right. I cannot drag myself around like I have the past 3 weeks. Dh said this morning that I must have made too many changes too fast and suggested I go back to what I was doing. Better to be over weight and feel good than striving for goal weight and feel awful all the time.

Yes, is was only 1 slice of pizza and a bottled water. Nothing else. But, even my dc remarked that I felt and looked better this afternoon.

So, I'm going to add back some good carbs. I'm thinking whole grains and fruits in moderation. Sound like a plan?

This is a good idea.

I cannot really explain how poor my energy levels have been. On Tues, I have an hour and a half to wait between dropping off and picking up dc from their co-op classes. Before the change in diet, I would run to the market, drug store, drop books at library, etc. Yesterday, I went to the bookstore and just sat. I didn't even feel like browsing the store. For the last 3 weeks, I have been cutting my walk short, or not going at all, because I have not had any energy. This cannot be right. I cannot drag myself around like I have the past 3 weeks. Dh said this morning that I must have made too many changes too fast and suggested I go back to what I was doing. Better to be over weight and feel good than striving for goal weight and feel awful all the time.

Yes, is was only 1 slice of pizza and a bottled water. Nothing else. But, even my dc remarked that I felt and looked better this afternoon.

So, I'm going to add back some good carbs. I'm thinking whole grains and fruits in moderation. Sound like a plan?

How low have you been? I'd do fruits and tubers well before grains personally.

Guest submarines
This is a good idea.

Are you eating enough? What does your day look like?

are you not eating enough healthy fats?

According to the meal plan, I am. I'm using coconut oil and olive oil.

I know each individual is different and reacts differently to meal plans, diets, etc. I'm thinking I was too low carb. I've done mostly protein and veggie for the last few days.

I know each individual is different and reacts differently to meal plans, diets, etc. I'm thinking I was too low carb. I've done mostly protein and veggie for the last few days.

As much as I love eating protein and veg (in my case, Paleo/Primal), I do need more carbs or I get the same low energy. Sweet potatoes and fruit do wonders. It may slow down my weight loss a little, but I can FUNCTION. :tongue_smilie:

You'll need either fat or carbs for energy. Personally I prefer fat because the energy (while not as intense) doesn't come with the crash & cravings that carbs come with. I have to eat a LOT more fat than most are used to to make this work. 150g or so a day.