Menu

S/O OK Americans, Who is the President of Canada? (No Googling)

The PM of Canada is?  

1. 1. The PM of Canada is?

• Stephen Hawking
    • Stephen Harper
    • Ben Harper
    • Harper Collins
    • Tom Collins
    • Gary Glitter
    • Garry Trudeau
    • Pierre Trudeau
    • Jean Marie Le Pen
    • I'm Canadian and even I have no idea

I believe that was Jean Marie Le Pen :D

Bill

Ha! On roll you are. Now you've got me thinking of him in drag. That's just not right. :shiver:

Honestly, I thought he was dead. I had to google that. I didn't realize he was still around. I was going to joke about voting for a dead person. Or something. I hadn't thought it all through. ;)

As a Canadian, I object. I'm so embarrassed by our current PM I'd rather nobody know who he is.

I disagree. I'm quite pleased with how our country is doing economically especially during a time when so many other countries are struggling.

I'd be embarrassed if I lived in Greece or Italy or certain other countries where economic floundering is happening.

Without Googling or reading other responses...

I voted Stephen Harper, but I'm assuming this isn't a trick question since I thought Canada had a Prime Minister and not a President.

So my real answer would be Stephen Harper is the Prime Minister of Canada.

Off to see how how I did.

Edited by MrsBasil

I disagree. I'm quite pleased with how our country is doing economically especially during a time when so many other countries are struggling.

I'd be embarrassed if I lived in Greece or Italy or certain other countries where economic floundering is happening.

How the economy is doing isn't simply the doing of Harper's government. We didn't start down the road that other countries did because of previous governments that kept banking regulations strong and worked to eliminate the deficit. Harper did intend to go down the road of loosening regulations and mortgage requirements and had to back peddle when the SHTF.

I should make clear that at heart I'm a Tory. I worked on many elections and even attended several leadership conventions (Kim Campbell's for one) I only wish our current PM was as well. :(

Didn't I just see a woman speaking emphatically into a microphone to some government body?

Bad American, no cookie for me!

Premier of Quebec. (She hopes to make Quebec its own country, but it's actually not.)

There was a female PM for a few months in 1993, Kim Campbell. Not a separatist French Canadian, though. Don't think she was known for being that emphatic.

I should make clear that at heart I'm a Tory. I worked on many elections and even attended several leadership conventions (Kim Campbell's for one) I only wish our current PM was as well. :(

I'm an NDPer at heart, but I freely admit to being impressed with Campbell since she left office. She was doomed to defeat pretty much no matter what post-Mulroney, so I don't think that can be held against her.

There was a female PM for a few months in 1993, Kim Campbell. Not a separatist French Canadian, though. Don't think she was known for being that emphatic.
My memories of Campbell back then are of dowdy cardigans and a sniffly nose.

People are truly confusing the PM of Canada with the creator of Doonesbury? I guess this explains a lot of questions I have had about how educated most Americans are on political matters.

No, this tells you who educates most Yanks on political matters ; )

Premier of Quebec. (She hopes to make Quebec its own country, but it's actually not.)

You know, as a decedent of one of the first founding families of Quebec I should know this. But I don't. I suppose someone has been dispatched to take my Fleur-de-lys flag now.

Does England have a President or a Prime Minister? How about France? Mexico?

Prime Minister, both, and President in that order. But these are not obscure countries like Canada :D

Does anyone know what the difference is between a President and a Prime Minister and whether a country can have both?

Somebody must know :tongue_smilie:

Bill

:iagree:

The economy is just one (important) part, but overall, I think he has done a great job. No complaints here. Now our provincial government is a whole 'nother story :glare:

Does anyone know what the difference is between a President and a Prime Minister and whether a country can have both?

Under the British parliamentary system, the Prime Minister is the leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons. PMs are elected by their party, not by direct vote of the people. However, to be able to sit in the House, the PM must either already be elected to the House or win a special by-election (another member would typically give up their seat to this end). A PM can lose his seat without his party losing. Also, a new PM can be chosen by the ruling party independent of a general election.

:iagree:

And, I did not google before I voted, either. ;)