Menu

When logic confounds grammar (FLL funny)

Xuzi

DD's grammar lesson today was on converting singular nouns into plural nouns, and how to know when to use s, es, or ies. On the practice worksheet she was given several words to change from singular to plural, and while she had an easy time with most of then, she got stuck on "sky". She kept saying it didn't make sense. I repeated the rule a few more times for, and when she said it *still* didn't make sense, I asked her why, and she said: "Because there's only one sky!"

:lol::lol:

I enjoyed reading this post last week and knowing that this lesson waa coming up was crious how my son would respond. Sure enough today we get to sky/skies and my ds goes "Skies? that doesn't make any sense. :)

People is more than person, peoples is more than one people group, confusing I know. Same with fish and fishes. Fish is the singular and plural of one type of fish. Fishes is the plural form of more than one type of fish. :confused:

I enjoyed reading this post last week and knowing that this lesson waa coming up was crious how my son would respond. Sure enough today we get to sky/skies and my ds goes "Skies? that doesn't make any sense. :)

People is more than person, peoples is more than one people group, confusing I know. Same with fish and fishes. Fish is the singular and plural of one type of fish. Fishes is the plural form of more than one type of fish. :confused:

Oh, DS also gets annoyed about "peoples." We had that talk yesterday. Again.