Menu

Vacationing in New Zealand

My husband and I are seriously considering a long (4-6 mo) family adventure/vacation to New Zealand next year. He seems to be very interested in the Otago region of the South Island. Any Kiwis or Aussies of the Hive (or anyone else for that matter) have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks. :001_smile:

We spent two weeks touring the South Island. We had a wonderful time - just after the end of the summer holidays in New Zealand, so the weather was good but the roads were clear. We did Farm Stays around the island, which was a brilliant way to see and stay.

I'll leave the Kiwis to talk more specifically.

Laura

My husband and I spend about eight and one half months in New Zealand during 2011-2012. He was working in the Auckland area so I'm much more familiar with the North Island but we did make a visit to Queenstown, which is in the Otago region. A few thoughts:

US passport holders can stay three months on just the passport. If you are staying longer, you will need to apply for a tourist visa. Easier and cheaper to do from here than when you are in the country.

Queenstown is known for its ski slopes but has developed as a year round outdoor adventure spot.

Remember the seasons are opposite. Summer is December, January, February, and Winter is June, July, August. That means not only colder weather but also shorter days.

Central Otago wineries produce a wonderful Pinot Noir!

Edited by MFG
Factual error