Menu

Wolf's Changed His Thinking...(Meal/Budget Help)

One bone of contention we've had in our marriage is budgeting.

He came to me the other eve, admitted he'd been totally wrong in his attitude/expectations, and wanted to change things.

Anytime I've tried to put a budget together, at his request, he's the first to give up, get frustrated when I say it's not in the budget. I've hated the dynamic it sets up btwn us.

But, he's saying he understands now. He's willing to make the changes that we need. Incl suggesting that we have 3 meals a night meat free. :svengo:

Understand, this is the man that was raised vegetarian, even to the extreme of being fed dandelions and bullrushes. I do more than 1 meatless meal a wk, and he lets me know he's unhappy about it. So him suggesting it as a way to save money shocked the heck outta me.

Sooooo...hit me w/your most budget friendly recipes. I'm pretty good overall in budget friendly meals, but b/c of Wolf's insistance about meat, I probably only have 1 or 2 that are w/out.

Also, I sub in rice for pasta wherever I can (I have to be gf).

Anyone?

(Any recipes are welcome, as long as they're economical, doesn't have to be *just* vegetarian)

Vegetarian chili

1 onion, diced

3 T oil

1 can diced tomatoes

2cans chili beans

2 cans black beans

1-2 C frozen corn

1-3 T oregano

1-3 T chili powder

1/2 t cumin

Sautée onion in oil till clear. Add canned foods, spices, and 1/3 C water. Simmer 30 minutes to several hours (this is good in the crockpot). 20 mins before serving, add corn. Serves our family of 8; we add sour cream and cheddar cheese on top. Very filling, and good again the next day.

You could makes this more cheaply by using dry beans in equivalent amounts, too.

Cheap pseudo stir fry

Boil rice. Steam the amount of frozen mixed veggies your family will eat. Sautée 1-2 packages tofu in some oil/butter and soy sauce. Combine. Eat. :)

Make extra rice, and use it to make baked rice pudding for the morning's breakfast:

2-3 C rice, cooked

3-4 eggs

3-4 C milk

3-4 T sugar

1 C raisins (optional)

1T vanilla

Sprinkle of nutmeg

Whisk eggs, then add sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir in rice and raisins. Sprinkle nutmeg. Bake 350 for an hour in Pyrex pan, I use a 9x9, I think. Let cool, then fridge. (I actually cover mine with a cloth overnight on the counter, but don't recommend it to others. ;) )

Also, here's a FB page with a lot of good, healthy, cheap veggie recipes:

Edited by Caitilin

Soups, stews, and stir fries... I will cook either a ham, turkey, roast, etc one night and then part of it for these another night or two.

3 bean enchilada chili is really yummy and my carnivores don't notice that there isn't any meat

onion (sauted)

can of black beans

can of red kidney beans

can of pinto beans

1-2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can of enchilada sauce

Top with cheese and tortilla chips

Mexican soup

1lb ground meat

taco seasoning

squirt or 2 of ranch

3-4 cans of beans

can of corn

1-2 cans of diced tomatoes

Opt (add while serving): cilantro, lime, sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or tortilla chips

Crockpot Taco Soup

2 16 ounce cans of Black Beans

1 16 ounce can of Kidney Beans

2 16 ounce cans of Corn

1 16 ounce can of Tomato Sauce

2 16 ounce cans of Diced Tomatoes

1 can of chopped chillies

Dice Onion to taste (we leave it out)

Can add in 1 pound of ground meat/meat substitute of choice though we find it works fine without it.

2 packages of taco seasoning (there are gluten free ones out there)

Chili powder other spices to taste (can do without too)

Stick in the crockpot on high or low for a few hours, serve with shredded cheese, corn chips and sour cream to taste.

Serves around 8 or so, with seconds for most. We tend to make it early in the week and use it for dinner twice that week and lunch throughout the week. Depending on your grocery store can be done for under $10, especially if you don't buy canned and instead buy dry beans etc. (not including corn chips, which may be the most expensive part of the meal, but also something that can be left out).

Another thing to do is buy your chicken whole.

I can get at least three meals from a whole chicken.

After you have used the meat (dinner, lunch) then boil the carcass and get the rest of the meat, make a simple brothy veggy soup. I also give the grissle and other parts (not bone) to the dogs as an "extra" to their dog food.

Buy the "london broil" cut (I forget the actual cut) and I use a mandoline slicer to make paper thin slices for stirfry, stroganoff, and the extra pieces are cut into smaller bits for beef.veggie stew or chili. the fat and other parts--dogs.

Ham= ham bone and some yummy slip pea soup.

I am often amazed buy the things we toss that can be made into something good.

Black bean and sweet potato burritos/wraps:

Whatever tortillas or wraps you like:

Canned black beans or cook your own.

Dice sweet potatoes. I like to toss the sweet potatoes with some cumin, salt and pepper and olive oil. You can roast them in the oven at 400 until soft, then mix with the black beans and salsa if you like. You can do typical toppings like sour cream, cheese etc. Healthy and pretty cheap!

I make lots of various soups which makes meat stretch. I also buy large cuts of things on sale and portion out. Often I shop and make a meal list after that, because I buy what is on sale.

Another thing to do is buy your chicken whole.

I can get at least three meals from a whole chicken.

After you have used the meat (dinner, lunch) then boil the carcass and get the rest of the meat, make a simple brothy veggy soup. I also give the grissle and other parts (not bone) to the dogs as an "extra" to their dog food.

Buy the "london broil" cut (I forget the actual cut) and I use a mandoline slicer to make paper thin slices for stirfry, stroganoff, and the extra pieces are cut into smaller bits for beef.veggie stew or chili. the fat and other parts--dogs.

Ham= ham bone and some yummy slip pea soup.

I am often amazed buy the things we toss that can be made into something good.

:iagree:

Definitely bake a whole chicken one night. Take the meat that you don't use and freeze (or store) for later use. Boil the carcass and strain. Save broth for recipes that require chicken broth. It freezes well.

When you buy meat such as pork chops or cube steak, take one out and freeze it. For example, I get pork chops from Sam's Club that are really thick. Typically we don't eat three of them (from one pack), so I freeze those (or cut up and freeze). Later in the week (or the next) I make crock pot scalloped potatoes with pork or pork strip tacos. The same goes with cube steak. There is always one or two that won't be eaten. Instead of cooking and trying to figure out leftovers, I just know in advance and freeze the extra. Eventually I have enough for an entire meal, or I have some meat to toss in with other dishes.

I know you are in Canada, and to be honest, I'm clueless about daily life there. I'm assuming you have sales flyers for grocery stores. Be sure to shop the sales if it is a good deal. Buy roasts. You will have several dinners from that one cut of meat. The meat can be used in a variety of casseroles, with beans/soups, in pasta dishes, etc.

Shepherd's pie is another good one. I make it with ground meat but I've seen some veggie options floating around.

:iagree: I make shepherd's pie with lentils instead of meat (we are vegetarian). Cheap and yummy. I cook the lentils w/sauteed onion and garlic, throw in whatever other veggies I feel like and have on hand (carrots, peas, etc.), add some spices to taste (salt, pepper, thyme, etc.) throw some simple mashed potatoes on top, and bake. I serve it with gravy over top--yum! Makes great leftovers, too.

My mind went straight to dried bulk for budgeting. Beans, lentils - buying them dried, soaking overnight and then messing with it the next day...

But..

Are you already familiar with how to do that, anything about dried stuff that bugs either one of you?

Are you baking at home?

I don't do much baking, w/the 1 handed issue, and now being gf (for me).

And no real experience w/dried beans, lentils, etc. I tried them, but Wolf complained it was like eating at his mother's again. He's now willing to change that attitude, so I def need some help w/recipes, etc.

I had loads before, but that tower is dead, and none of them are on this one.

We do Cedric Adams hotdish here when we need a cheap meal.

some butter

small onion, chopped

1 lb ground beef

small head cabbage

1 can condensed tomato soup

Melt butter in frying pan, then saute onion until soft. Add in ground beef and cook until just browned. Shred head of cabbage. Grease baking dish. Layer bottom half with shredded cabbage, sprinkle meat over that, then layer the rest of the cabbage. Stir tomato soup in can, pour over top. Cover and bake at 350 for about an hour, or until cabbage is soft and translucent. Take lid off about halfway through baking time if using freshly shredded cabbage.

Here is a really inexpensive ground beef substitute that my dh will eat. There is a gluten free version given farther down that is just as good. I had to hunt for a source for the gluten so I have made both versions and when you make the mashed potatos for the gluten free version ytou can just make more than you need and use them for a side dish or potato pancakes or something like that.

http://veggieconverter.com/2011/01/whole-food-vegetarian-ground-beef-substitute-recipe.html

Do you have anything like a costco? I can get two fryers for 10$, I roast them one night, and then later make soup, so that's 2-3 meals. (add butternut to the soup, cauliflower, cheddar, once you have the stock, you can change it up).

Pasta and lentils. It's easy and yummy.

Mario Batali's

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups dried green or brown lentils, preferably Castelluccio variety, washed and soaked for several hours

1 small stalk celery, halved

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish

1 slice pancetta or bacon, finely chopped

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Pinch red chile flakes

2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped

Salt, to taste

7 ounces tubetti or spaghetti, broken into short pieces

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

In a large pot, combine the drained lentils, celery and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to an active simmer and cook for approximately 45 minutes, until the lentils are very tender.

In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the pancetta and render the fat. Add the onion, garlic and chile flakes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook a few minutes.

Once the lentils are tender, remove the celery, add salt and cook the pasta in the boiling water. Once the pasta is almost fully cooked, add the onion mixture and parsley and cook together for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with extra virgin olive oil drizzle on top.

I omit the celery, don't care what lentils, and I add in 2/3 peeled carrots, chopped in about 2 inch chunks.

I find meat subs tend to be more $ than meat. It's not that we're switching to being vegetarian, just looking to save $.

I agree that they can be, the one I linked is homemade from lentils and rice and the gluten free version does not contain anything exotic and the only expensive thing is a small amount of mushrooms.

This recipe is for black bean and sweet potato burgers but I used it as filling in enchiladas and dh(another meat lover) has actually requested a repeat.

http://onceamonthmom.com/sweet-potato-black-bean-burgers/

I was just thinking I need to make this soon. It is very easy to make and has an unusual flavor which is very good. I usually make it earlier in the day, along with rice and then put it all in the crockpot to keep it warm until dinner.

http://www.campbellskitchen.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?recipeId=25742&ref=%2fSearchRecipesResult.aspx%3fq%3dafrican%2bstew%26filter%3d

I like to crockpot a big pot of something that can make many meals. Then I freeze a few portions to use later that month.

I can make a nice cheap chili. Then it can be served over pasta, rice, potatoes, nachos or fries. It can be used as empanada filling, enchiladas, or just rolled in tortillas. Heck you can make Mexican lasagna with it, too.

Menu planning helps save money. Shopping less saves money for me. Purchasing cabbage or coleslaw mix, carrots, apples and frozen fruit will give you produce at the end of your menu period. Eat the fresh stuff in the beginning.

I like to serve a meal to use up leftovers. I mix up leftover tofu/story with rice and serve it in flour tortillas with rooster sauce. I had this at a very expensive wrap place in my area. I think I Paige 7.50 for it. It was so good and it doesn't sound good. But, it was their only option I could eat at the time.

Soup uses up leftover and stale veggies.

My kids like Nori rolls. They are mostly rice with bits of veggies and leftover meats or tofu.

Our latest obsession is spring rolls. Not too expensive and GF. If you wrap them in plastic wrap and leave out the lettuce, they will last about three days. They are actually better after sitting a day. I did not think my kids would like them. But, they ate them up.

If you can learn to cook (not soak, but COOK) the beans in broth, it tastes a million miles better than plain water.

There are three basic broths for seasoning beans that I know of...

1. Vegetable

2. Chicken

3. Beef

I just soak black beans overnight, next day throw them in the crockpot and clean out the fridge of vegetables, throw in some quinoa, and wham..it lasts forever and ever and ever.....

Matter of fact, I made a batch two weeks ago, and it lasted until today, so that was like 14 meals for under four bucks for the basic mix?

Does he like chicken soup, beef soup..that sort of thing? Do you have a food processor?

One thought, no recipe. :001_smile: When you cook/bake a whole chicken, and BTW, they can be much cheaper than buying bits and pieces, cook up the carcass and make broth for soup. You will be amazed at how many pieces of chicken you can pull off that carcass and the broth is a bonus.

So let's say you roast a chicken or two on Sunday or Monday. Meal one is that. Meal two is say Pot pie or creamed chicken, casserole or something that uses up leftover chicken. Meal three is soup made from the broth you made with the bones. With all that nummy broth you won't need so much meat. Meal four is leftover soup you pull out of the freezer for lunch some cold day.

Here is what we had for dinner tonight:

Black beans (I cooked them but canned work just more expensive...... $.50

Corn (fresh off the cob but frozen and can work as well) .....................50

Rice..(brown)...............................................................................50

onion sauteed............................................................................?.50

can of Rotel toms...................................................................???1.00

sour cream................................................................................1.00

flour tortillas (corn work too!).......................................................1.00

mix all and put onto a tortilla, put sour cream on top, fold

1 dinner and 2 lunches .................................................................5.00

spices--garlic, cumin, salt,

If you have everything in can form , it is quick and easy and readily available.

Google around for recipes with black beans and adjust. I think the trick to beans, lentils..whatever...is that you do NOT season them with salt until the last half of stewing them and only after they are soft.

yes, I know..there's a war about this..but just saying my experience here is no seasoning/salt until after the beans are soaked..

I cannot do kidney beans to save my soul, but black (turtle) beans and black eyed peas..I'm a champ.

Here is what we had for dinner tonight:

Black beans (I cooked them but canned work just more expensive...... $.50

Corn (fresh off the cob but frozen and can work as well) .....................50

Rice..(brown)...............................................................................50

onion sauteed............................................................................?.50

can of Rotel toms...................................................................???1.00

sour cream................................................................................1.00

flour tortillas (corn work too!).......................................................1.00

mix all and put onto a tortilla, put sour cream on top, fold

1 dinner and 2 lunches .................................................................5.00

spices--garlic, cumin, salt,

If you have everything in can form , it is quick and easy and readily available.

Thanks, Lara!

Google around for recipes with black beans and adjust. I think the trick to beans, lentils..whatever...is that you do NOT season them with salt until the last half of stewing them and only after they are soft.

yes, I know..there's a war about this..but just saying my experience here is no seasoning/salt until after the beans are soaked..

I cannot do kidney beans to save my soul, but black (turtle) beans and black eyed peas..I'm a champ.

I don't think I've ever seen black eyed peas, let alone have a clue how to cook them. *blush* Black beans I've only used in chili.

Can you give me some suggestions? The one prob I have w/allrecipes/google is that you never know if the recipe is really good as it's written, or needs tweaking. Comments can help, but...I'd rather get recipes from ppl who make them regularily and have figured it out.

Black eye peas are really, really cheap. They will take on the flavor of whatever you put in there. They don't need overnight soaking like turtle beans do.

You just fill a stockpot with water, throw in the peas, some carrots, celery, tomatoes - whatever kind of veggies you have around, and brew it for a couple of hours, I always season at the end.

Scoop out about three cups of soup and mash it, add it back in.

If you let it sit in the fridge overnight, it's even better the next day. There are a ton of charts all over the net that guide a person on what types, kinds, etc. of beans are out there. My favorite book is The Bean Bible.

Does Mr. Wolf like Mexican flavor dishes? I'm a huge fan of sauces with soups..I just throw a little olive oil on bread or on the surface of the soup and then start shaking the hot sauce on.

Prince Charming just finished the last of the 15 bean soup today, I made that about about a week ago. A basic 15 bean soup mix is only about 2.00 here in bulk and makes about 6 quarts or more.

After it's done and has sat overnight in the fridge, I ladle it into ziploc freezer containers into portions and thaw as needed.

I don't think we spent more than ten bucks for breakfast/lunch for three people for two weeks.

You can thicken up soups and put them in calzones, make them into tacos, pizza, make a fresh batch of rice or such and use it as a sauce on top..mix it with mashed potatoes and refill the shells, garnish with some basil/cilantro pesto which is a really fresh and light taste.

Basil pestos are a big hit around here, I throw in some pecans, walnuts, some sort of peanut "meat", some olive oil, salt and maybe a little garlic or whatever is around, zap it to liquify in the food processor and then add a little more peanut / whatever that isn't so mooshy.

Here's basic directions for Hassleback potatoes: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/HasselbackPotatoes.htm

A ten pound bag of potatoes here is about 3.00 - if you can commit yourself to slicing them this way, just set the oven to GO TEAM potatoes all day, wrap them up in foil, run at 450 for an hour, remove and freeze - a girl can do a big dent in the budget, that makes enough potatoes for weeks.

Freeze what you aren't using that night or next day.

Salad dressings off the shelf are really a good deal too for bean stuff mystery dinners. Just toss it in with a bland bean that's done, let it marinate overnight, make up a name the next day (like it's some serious recipe ya know?) and serve.

Everyone will love and think you worked your tail off. Save some potatoes and dice, throw into hash mix and that's a nice base for many, many casseroles also.