Menu

Going too fast with Math U See?

Sweepy

This is our first year of homeschooling and I'm still pretty green. I'm doing K and 2nd though my 2nd grader is actually doing MUS Alpha because he was pretty weak in mathematics. We started our academic year in Aug, so we are 6 weeks in with a 4-day week. We've stayed on a lesson for multiple days when is wasn't sinking in but I think we're moving too fast. One is on lesson 18 and the other is on 19. We watch the video and then I give them one of the lesson worksheets and one of the systemic review sheets. If they do well, we move on to the next lesson the next day. Now I'm wondering if that's too fast since they'll be finished with the material before Christmas at this rate??? That would be OK for my oldest since he can easily move on to the Beta but I don't think I want my Kindergarterner progressing beyone Primer for awhile. Should I do math less often or more days per lesson or should I supplement with another program? All suggestions are appreciated.

I am doing MUS Alpha with my 3rds grader. We are going at an accelerated pace as well. For each lesson we watch the video, she does one new worksheet and one review worksheet, she does the activity sheet, and if she is solid on the material she takes the test and that is the end of the lesson. One of the goals of Alpha is memorization of the math facts, though, so I don't move on from a lesson until she has those facts memorized. I would say that as long as your kids are getting their facts memorized and are showing mastery of the material (able to teach you back the concept), then you don't have to worry about moving at such a quick pace. You don't have to keep curriculum moving at the pace of the calendar, but at the pace of the student. If it takes longer or shorter than one school year to do something, that is fine...the goal is mastery of the material, not completion of one level.

Go ahead and move at their pace. When you get to a lesson that gives them some trouble, you won't have to worry about getting behind if you have to slow down. The books tend to start easy and get more difficult towards the end. When my kids finish a book early you can either use math topics/resources so they don't get more than a little ahead or you can move on. If your oldest is finding it easy, you can continue to work off his confidence and move right into Beta, which picks up where Alpha leaves off.

Now I'm wondering if that's too fast since they'll be finished with the material before Christmas at this rate???

Do they understand the material you've covered? If so, it's not too fast.

That would be OK for my oldest since he can easily move on to the Beta

Yes, it sounds good for the older student, catching up to grade level.

but I don't think I want my Kindergarterner progressing beyone Primer for awhile.
Why not? This is part of the beauty of homeschooling. A child isn't stuck doing what the school deems the "average X grader" should do. They can instead go at their OWN pace, whatever that may be. It's not unusual for K'ers to already understand K math and not need a whole year to learn it. Let him move on. When he hits something that is truly "new", he'll slow down.

I'm pretty sure none of my kids will need K math curriculum at age 5. They've all been ready for 1st grade math by then so far, and the littlest one is on track to do the same. Not a big deal. If they need to slow down at some point, they can without me worrying about "getting behind". :D If they don't slow down... well, there is always plenty of math to do. AoPS will be my friend in the middle to high school years. ;)

This is our first year of homeschooling and I'm still pretty green. I'm doing K and 2nd though my 2nd grader is actually doing MUS Alpha because he was pretty weak in mathematics. We started our academic year in Aug, so we are 6 weeks in with a 4-day week. We've stayed on a lesson for multiple days when is wasn't sinking in but I think we're moving too fast. One is on lesson 18 and the other is on 19. We watch the video and then I give them one of the lesson worksheets and one of the systemic review sheets. If they do well, we move on to the next lesson the next day. Now I'm wondering if that's too fast since they'll be finished with the material before Christmas at this rate??? That would be OK for my oldest since he can easily move on to the Beta but I don't think I want my Kindergarterner progressing beyone Primer for awhile. Should I do math less often or more days per lesson or should I supplement with another program? All suggestions are appreciated.

Keep progressing at their pace. Sometimes that will be fast, sometimes slow. Math usually needs to be done fairly often for retention. Also the lessons usually get harder (thus go at slower pace) for many dc as the books progress. Being able to race through start may or may not mean that you are done by Xmas. And even if you are and move to alpha, so what, you may be happy of that later on.

Sounds like you're doing MUS the same way I do. It's the beauty of MUS: go the rate of the student and not the textbook. Over the years I've noticed that my sons go through developmental phases where math is easy or math is difficult, and it doesn't seem to be so much the concepts as a phase. If things are clicking, keep going; likely they will hit a point in the concepts or in development where it slows down and don't stress about that, either. Work where you are. Move the K on to Alpha from Primer if he's ready for it (and if he passes Primer, then he's ready).

Steve Demme has some great videos on YouTube answering parents' questions. Just search for his name and they'll come up. They were really helpful for relieving "grade level" anxieties. It's a totally bogus concept. They are where they are and our goal is to help them move forward from where they are; where other people are or most people are shouldn't be a factor or concern.