Menu

AAS questions ...

mommy5

We have started using AAS level 1 with our K'er and 2nd grader. Things have been going pretty well and we are now on lesson 17 ... I'm guessing we'll be done with this level in the next month or maybe so. My only complaint is that I've lost 2 of the little tiles ... I wouldn't doubt that the toddler has walked off with them. Is there any way to replace them or should I just make new ones? Also, do other AAS users like the other levels of this curriculum? I had briefly thought about getting another curriculum but now I'm not so sure. I'm finding it easy to just do 2 lessons a week and do some review ... mostly using the letter tiles and the word cards ... maybe 1-2x a week actually using dictation with pencil/paper. I like that they don't have to complete a workbook for this. Anyone else have opinions on this?

We are on level 5 now. I plan to go through the whole program. At times it is pretty hard work (just wait until you are dictating sentences). I believe it is worth the extra work and would recommend it to strugling and natural spellers alike :)

Email the company. I have had to ask for a few tiles over the years :)

I have a dd in AAS 7, one in AAS 6, and one in AAS 4. My 4th dd is about half way through AAR 1 and will probably start AAS 1 after Christmas. I really love the program. I first got it for my oldest several years ago because she was struggling with spelling. It has helped her sooooo much! I use it for the others because it's what we have! I also like that it is not a workbook because that makes it customizable for each child and each family. I've heard so many people say that they use it in so many different ways.

I love AAS1 for my 5 year old son. The only thing I would caution is to make sure your 5 year old is as accurate writing on paper as spelling with the tiles. I started off using the tiles with minimal writing. Then I realized that he had a much easier time spelling with the tiles than writing on paper. I think because he had to think about how to form the letters correctly as well as spell the word. He would get the 10 word correct the first time through because he picked up on the pattern. I mixed up all the words from steps 17-20 and realized that he can spell them correctly with the tiles, but not all correct on paper. So I am going to review until he is able to do them. I don't want to move on until he has completely mastered these steps and is able to write the words effortlessly.

I like that it's not a workbook so I don't have to worry about re-buying it! With my oldest, we hardly use the tiles... I wish that I could rebuy the tiles, though, because about a third of ours have been chewed. :glare:

You can rebuy tiles and magnets as well if you need them. Scroll down on the Interactive Kit page & you can see the items individually.

If you need 5 or fewer tiles, you can call or email and they will send them out.

Merry :-)

You can rebuy tiles and magnets as well if you need them. Scroll down on the Interactive Kit page & you can see the items individually.

If you need 5 or fewer tiles, you can call or email and they will send them out.

Merry :-)

Oh, great! My oldest doesn't use them, but I bet my second will love and thrive with them!