Menu

Do iPads/tablets have spell check?

Tap

When people type on iPads or other tablets, there seem to be A LOT of errors in what they type. I understand typing on a flat screen leads to a lot of typos, but it left me wondering...doesn't it have a spell check?

I am a terrible speller and don't use great grammar either, so I am not picking on that. I am just curious about the spell check. I figure, if the typos are bad enough that I notice it...it must be really bad. LOL

Erm normally spell check is actually the problem. Apple will change words to what they think you meant rather then what you typed a lot times. For instance this morning I typed homeschooled and got home schooner, erm yeah not what I meant at all. If you are typing fast and don't reread before you hit enter, you end up with some really weird errors in your posts.

1. It is easy to make mistakes typing on a flat screen with tiny keys.

2. You cannot really turn off auto-correct because it catches common mistakes.

3. Sometimes auto-correct does crazy things. It LOVES to add in unnecessary apostrophes, for example. I once made a typo and typed "coreect" instead of "correct" while texting my dh and the auto-correct changed it to "fleecy." What the heck!?

Ok, so that makes more sense. I have been wondering why such strange words are mixed in. I turned off auto correct on my phone for that reason. I figured I would rather send out a few of the correct letters with an error, than an entirely wrong word.