Menu

Flu shot?

Flu is everywhere, not just in public school. My son did not get the shot when he was in school. While flu was going through the school, he never got it. We don't do the shot in our family. Having looked at the efficacy, risks, etc., we decided our family doesn't need it. No one in the family is at high risk of complication from flu, and when we have had complications such as pneumonia, it wasn't caused by flu anyway. Actually, we haven't had influenza in the house since I've had kids. We've had a number of other illnesses instead - ones for which there are no vaccines.

Well, a friend of mine got a flu shot some years ago because everyone said she should...and she's been allergic to eggs ever since.:glare:

OTOH, Mr. Ellie has gotten a shot every year and never had problems.

I got a shot last year for the first time. In the last 38 years, I've had the flu exactly once, in 1997, when the Princess was killed (having the flu probably explains why I was so torn up over her death. Really. I was a mess. And when I was feeling pretty well from the flu, I got shingles. Oy.)

I guess it's a crap shoot.

Unless she has other health issues (like asthma), I'd probably say not to.

We've never done them before (except for one I got the first time I was pregnant, which made my arm really, really sore for days).....I like to make DH get them because he teaches public school, but usually he doesn't get around to it. And DS6 has asthma and bad allergies, which also makes me consider them (he's doing two plays right now, and the director of one actually recommended that the cast all get flu shots so that flu doesn't get passed around and ruin A Christmas Carol).....in short, we have a few reasons why me might get them, but usually by the time I get around to researching it and making a decision, the worst of flu season is over and we haven't gotten them.

My children (and my dh and I) get them every year. I can't remember the last time I had the flu. The only time my kids ever had it was the year they had vaccine shortages and because they're all robustly healthy, they were not eligible for the vaccine. They all got the flu. :glare:

I had mine two weeks ago. Tell your dd it's really a painless shot, although her arm may feel a bit sore the next day. If she prefers, she could have the Flu-mist (Veramist), which is a nasal spray with a live (but inactivated) flu virus. That's what my needle shy kiddos always get.

I'm not sure what your question is exactly...of course you will get lots of different answers depending on what people think of vaccines/flu vaccine in particular.

I think she will be more likely to be exposed to sick people at ps. Kids go to school sick all the time. She won't have a lot of control over who she is around/sitting next to sometimes. If you really don't want to do it (she could get the mist probably if she doesn't like shots) maybe try going over basic things with her to prevent spreading and catching illnesses like washing hands before eating lunch and not sharing pencils.

We usually all get flu shots because I have a child who falls into a high risk group. I read about lack of efficacy particularly in children on the Cochrane review. We didn't do the vaccine last year. My husband and both kids got influenza with a positive rapid flu test. My son's geneticist said a lot of his vaccinated patients got influenza last year too though. I think it was type B that wasn't covered well with the vax.

If you do get it you'll regret you didn't get the shot likely. I do believe a well matched shot will prevent the flu in most vaccinated people exposed. The trick is well matched and how likely you are to be exposed in a particular year. But, statistically, it's just not very effective. I'm not convinced benefits outweigh risks/bad effects. That's why I'm still not sure what I'm going to do this year here except my son's geneticist and grandparents will likely flip a lid if we don't vax and get flu again!

We all get them each year but we are a high risk family

DH has had a heart attack, has diabetes, and works in the prison (so with a population that is at high risk of getting the flu)

I have had open heart surgery and a history of asthma

Ds is likely the healthiest.

Then the 2 girls have immune disorders, mitochondrial disorders, seizures (so keeping meds in them and them well hydrated is important) and one has asthma.

Add in a grandma we help that is a kidney transplant patient and grandpa that is on kidney dialysis.

If we were not a high risk family I don't know what we would do honestly.