Menu

anyone here make their own cheese?

I have wanted to make cheese for quite a while. But, I don't understand what I need to do it. I'm thinking goat cheese since my oldest loves it.

I've looked into it too but there's a lot of stuff you need in order to do it well. There are cheese making kits (but I don't think they come with all the supplies). I can't remember what companies did this, but I'm sure I did a google search. There's also a couple of books on cheese making. See if your library has any.

I LOVE cheesemaking!!

First, you have to figure out what kind of cheese you want to make. Almost everyone starts out with mozzarella. It's incredibly easy. It's fun. And it's delicious.

Hard cheeses require quite a bit of equipment. But the fun of eating your cheese two years later... :D

I LOVE cheesemaking!!

First, you have to figure out what kind of cheese you want to make. Almost everyone starts out with mozzarella. It's incredibly easy. It's fun. And it's delicious.

Hard cheeses require quite a bit of equipment. But the fun of eating your cheese two years later... :D

I even failed at mozzarella...multiple times.

My eight year old daughter makes mozzarella here at least once a week. My kids LOVE it. What I have a hard time with for cheesemaking is getting the wax on my hard cheeses evely and pretty.

My kids love the stretching part of mozzarella. I've got ricotta sitting on the counter to be made into homemade macaroni and cheese for a family dealing with a really sick baby. I'll put the fresh mozzarella on top and it helps DD feel like she is doing something to help too.

I do make much more cheese in the winter than the spring, summer, fall. I am a canner too. And my kitchen is finishing up being dedicated to tomatoes the past few weeks. :001_smile:

We have access to fresh, pasturized, but not ultra pasturized milk fairly easily. What I need to learn more about next is raw milk cheesemaking.