Menu

what kind of dog should we get?

Our golden died one month ago. She was the best dog we have ever had. We had one problem with her that we don't want to have again. She was much larger than normal for a golden. She was registered, so she was purebred, but she was 80 pounds at a healthy weight. Female goldens rarely weigh more than 60 pounds at a healthy weight. At the end, when I had to take her to the vet, I couldn't lift her to get her out to the van. I had to slide her onto a sheet and drag her out to the van and then was able to lift her into the van only with the help of my dds.

We really want to make sure that our next dog is one that I can actually lift, so a maximum weight of 40 pounds.

We want a dog who loves to be cuddled and play fetch. We want her to be at least 20 pounds, because dogs smaller than that are just too small. We want her to be smart, but not so smart that keeping her engaged is going to take hours and hours every day. Our golden was really a perfect fit. We just want smaller. I'm also not sure we could deal with having another golden. We'd always be comparing to Goldie and she is a lot for another dog to live up to.

My dh was pretty set on a border collie, but he has finally come to realize that a border collie wouldn't really fit us well. A border collie needs a job to do. We'd need to work her every day. Since we don't live on a farm, we'd have to start her in agility training to keep her from getting bored.

What breeds would you recommend?

I want a standard poodle, myself, as we have allergies. Either that or a female pit bull. In the past 3 mos I have been exposed to 3, all females, and they have been the most lovable, playful creatures! I'd take them over a golden any day. Please don't start an argument over that breed and derail the OP's thread. This is just my opinion.

:leaving:

Check out the klee kai. A standard is about 22 lbs.

No barking.

Will play fetch as long as you will throw the ball.

Good runners if you like to run with your dog.

Easily trained. (Ours won't go into the kitchen, get on furniture, etc.)

Absolutely gorgeous and will get lots of attention in public.

:)

Have you considered a part border? I have a border/springer mix. She weighs 49 pounds, and though we joke that she got the worst characteristics of each breed, that is not true. She is smart like a BC but less crazy.

How about an Aussie? They come in a mini version (not officially AKC recognized, I don't think), and they are supposedly less herd-y than full-sized Aussies. They are awfully, awfully cute. I dare you to Google them!

Terri

OMG I've got it! A Pembroke Welsh Corgi!

Big dog in a little package, love to fetch, love to cuddle, and SO fun!!!

We adore ours.

Sorry about your Golden-- and good luck in your search!

astrid

Not sure what kind of corgi he is, but check out YouTube for a video of Butterball going down stairs. Yummy.

Terri

Check out the klee kai. A standard is about 22 lbs.

No barking.

Will play fetch as long as you will throw the ball.

Good runners if you like to run with your dog.

Easily trained. (Ours won't go into the kitchen, get on furniture, etc.)

Absolutely gorgeous and will get lots of attention in public.

:)

Not to derail...well, only a little, ;) but how are they with kids???

I want a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, if I ever get another dog. I love our dog, but he sheds all over and I wouldn't choose a dog as large next time. I truly believe that you have to think of all the vacuuming you're willing (or not) to do. Also, a good training place to spend time at!! Half the problems that people give their dogs away for could be solved with basic training. :(

We love our Boston Terrier. :001_smile: He is super smart, loves to play, great with the kids, short haired (he does shed though), just the right size (he's about 15 pounds and stocky), doesn't bark. He is also really cute and looks like he's wearing a tuxedo all the time. :D

The only problems are that his GI system is VERY sensitive, they have a tendency to get cherry eyes (like bulldogs and basset hounds) and their short face means they snore and fart a lot.

Schnauzers are good family pets, have good temperaments, are smart but don't have to have jobs like border collies, and they have coat but it isn't burdensome to take care of. And they're awfully cute. :)

I have heard good things about Australian shepherds, especially that although they are smart, they're not as intense as border collies.

We love our Australian Shepherd mix and she has been wonderful in the house, very very rarely barks, etc........BUT we do live on a farm and while she doesn't herd here, she does chase the cats, go along on trail rides, run around the yard, etc. In the house though she just lays down most of the time and sleeps.

We have had great luck adopting young adult dogs--in the 3-4 year old range.

Have you considered a part border? I have a border/springer mix. She weighs 49 pounds, and though we joke that she got the worst characteristics of each breed, that is not true. She is smart like a BC but less crazy.

How about an Aussie? They come in a mini version (not officially AKC recognized, I don't think), and they are supposedly less herd-y than full-sized Aussies. They are awfully, awfully cute. I dare you to Google them!

Terri

Is it vain to quote myself? Just realized I should have added that I am a Golden person also. I have had 3 in my adult life. I love Goldens and know how special they can be. When our last one died, though, like you I wanted a smaller dog because of the hair volume and space. I ended up inheriting the sprollie, and truly, she is a great dog, but if we had not acquired her, we were considering the mini-Aussie or a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever. My sprollie is an inside dog--I do not even own a fence any more, and she is fine with that. But I do run with her several times a week, and she loves to run more than anything else in the world.

Best of luck with your search.

Terri

Is it vain to quote myself? Just realized I should have added that I am a Golden person also. I have had 3 in my adult life. I love Goldens and know how special they can be. When our last one died, though, like you I wanted a smaller dog because of the hair volume and space. I ended up inheriting the sprollie, and truly, she is a great dog, but if we had not acquired her, we were considering the mini-Aussie or a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever. My sprollie is an inside dog--I do not even own a fence any more, and she is fine with that. But I do run with her several times a week, and she loves to run more than anything else in the world.

Best of luck with your search.

Terri

What's a sprollie?

A havanese!

The Havanese is small in size and sturdy in structure with a tail carried over its back and ears that drop and fold. The coat is abundant, long, and silky and comes in all colors. The Havanese has a spirited personality and a curious disposition, and is notable for its springy gait, a characteristic that distinguishes the breed from all others.[2] The Havanese is considered an ideal family pet and a true companion dog. They are highly adaptable to almost any environment, and their only desire is to be with their human companions. Because of their strong social needs, Havanese will not thrive in an environment where they are isolated for several hours each day.

We ended up getting a puppy at the animal shelter yesterday. She is 10 weeks old. She is definitely labrador and german shepherd and border collie with some distinctive traits of each. The shelter had her listed as a labrador/border collie mix. The vet said she definitely has german shepherd too because of the distinctive shape of her nose and back legs and the way that she walks.

We don't really know how big she is going to be, but her paws don't look disproportionate to her size. The vet said probably a max of about 60 pounds. I'd love smaller, but I can probably handle 60 pounds. I can handle 40 pounds bags of dog food easily.

We have a crate and we are crate training her. She does really like the crate and goes in there to play and to grab toys out to play with. We are working on housetraining. That's definitely going to take a while.

We just got her last night and already she is pretty consistent with "sit". She is also walking nicely on the leash. She really wasn't sure what she was supposed to do when we tried walking her last night. Today I walked her with the leash set up as a body cinch (http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-keep-your-dog-from-pulling-on-leash) and she got the idea right away. The nice thing about walking with the leash this way is that it made the leash the perfect length so that she couldn't step on it. It just went from her back to my hand and didn't dip down at all.

How about a mutt from the pound or a rescue? You can usually tell their temperaments, or a rescue will have spent enough time with them to be able to tell you about them. Mutts are usually healthier than purebreds too.

And I have to say, I'm a dog lover! I've had my share of mutts, rescues, and purebreds. I loved my big yellow lab, my ornery little doxie and my princess shih-tzu , but its my mutts and rescues who've been healthiest and lived the longest. And they are usually happy to find a home too!

We ended up getting a puppy at the animal shelter yesterday. She is 10 weeks old. She is definitely labrador and german shepherd and border collie with some distinctive traits of each. The shelter had her listed as a labrador/border collie mix. The vet said she definitely has german shepherd too because of the distinctive shape of her nose and back legs and the way that she walks.

We don't really know how big she is going to be, but her paws don't look disproportionate to her size. The vet said probably a max of about 60 pounds. I'd love smaller, but I can probably handle 60 pounds. I can handle 40 pounds bags of dog food easily.

We have a crate and we are crate training her. She does really like the crate and goes in there to play and to grab toys out to play with. We are working on housetraining. That's definitely going to take a while.

We just got her last night and already she is pretty consistent with "sit". She is also walking nicely on the leash. She really wasn't sure what she was supposed to do when we tried walking her last night. Today I walked her with the leash set up as a body cinch (http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-keep-your-dog-from-pulling-on-leash) and she got the idea right away. The nice thing about walking with the leash this way is that it made the leash the perfect length so that she couldn't step on it. It just went from her back to my hand and didn't dip down at all.

PICS!!!!

I have a Lab/Shep/Golden mix. :) Good mix of each.

I would have loved to get a dog with some golden in her, but goldens and golden mixes just don't show up in shelters very often. I actually would have loved to get a golden doodle, but they are very expensive.

Kylie did really well today. She only had two puddles in the house all day and I successfully stopped her during the first one and got her outside to finish.

She pretty much has "sit" down now. She walks pretty nicely on the leash most of the time. She plays fetch (until her limited attention span gets in the way).

One picture is from when we were still at the shelter. The other picture is of her asleep on the sofa with some of her toys. She LOVES her toys. We've named her toys and we're going to see if we can get her to retrieve them by name.

Im not sure shes Shep/Lab. The ears and nose throw it off. You can get one of those DNA tests from Petsmart for $80 and I know vets do them as well. Thats how we know what our dogs are. We did it through the vet.

Here is a picture of my Golden/Shep/Lab mix to give you an idea.

as a puppy (first night we had her)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/Valor958/100_4223.jpg

sitting shot

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/Valor958/100_4815-1.jpg

I dont have one of her full body- id have to get one. HTH~

She looked like labrador/border collie to me, but the vet said that the shape of her back legs and her walk is german shepherd. I have never had a german shepherd or ever had much exposure to one in real life. I don't see german shepherd in her at all.

Just from the two pictures you posted, I agree with your vet. I definitely see some kind of shepherd. Her ears and snout totally look like a German Shepherd. The lab/border collie I don't see at all.

She looked like labrador/border collie to me, but the vet said that the shape of her back legs and her walk is german shepherd. I have never had a german shepherd or ever had much exposure to one in real life. I don't see german shepherd in her at all.

Awwww! She's so cute! I can totally see german shepherd in the pictures you posted. Ears and muzzle look shepherd-y to me. She has sweet and gentle eyes like our spaniel/poodle mix, that looks nothing like a poodle. Our dog looks like a wavy coated, small lab. Mixed breeds are always fun to figure out :D.

I do know that she's really smart. We just got her on Wednesday evening and she wasn't trained in any way at all. She has sit down very solidly now and when she isn't sure what you want her to do, she'll sit at your feet and stare up at you, like she expects that if she pays careful attention, maybe she'll figure it out.

She has figured out what "go potty" means and her crate has been dry the past two mornings. She hasn't figured out ringing the bells on the door to let us know that she wants to go out. But when we take her outside and tell her to go potty, she knows what we want her to do and will do it pretty immediately unless she doesn't need to go.

She knows that she isn't allowed upstairs, but she will still try, and then stop the instant you tell her no and slink back down, lay at your feet, and look up at you with a pitiful expression.

We're trying to figure out what to teach her next. I read somewhere about somebody having their dog herd exercise balls, so I want to try having her learn how to push my exercise ball around the house (she already does it with a smaller ball that we put her puppy food inside of).

I know we need to teach her to lie down, to roll over, and to turn around (all tricks that we taught our golden). What else would be good?

The 'Come' command is the biggie!

You want instant recall.

Also the 'leave it' and 'drop' commands are also good to get going early.

We always say 'show me your tummy' instead of roll over... with our female we actually say 'show me your tattoo' (she was a rescue and has a green tattoo on her belly to show she was spayed).

I have solid white shepherds (well the female is mostly shepherd).

I see no 'lab' in your pictures, but I DO she German Shepherd...some rescue centers will label all medium sized black puppies as being 'lab mixes'. There are actually quite a few solid black German shepherds around.

Our shepherds are gentle and VERY smart/easy to train.

Since you've had a golden you will be used to the SHEDDING part... we call them 'German Shedders'.

Enjoy your puppy!

OMG I've got it! A Pembroke Welsh Corgi!

Big dog in a little package, love to fetch, love to cuddle, and SO fun!!!

We adore ours.

Sorry about your Golden-- and good luck in your search!

astrid

YES this is exactly what I was thinking. Be sure it's well-bred.

Sorry about your Golden. We have a 10yo Golden and he's getting sore in the hips/hind parts. We have slimmed him down from about 80lbs to about 70--he was being overfed by one of the kiddos. They have such a good temperment, don't they? But a Welshi might be just the ticket for you.:grouphug:

ETA__ oh dear, didn't see you already got one! Have a fab time with your new puppy!

Edited by Chris in VA
Oops

My 16yo found pictures of black German shepherds online today. I didn't know there was such a thing. The pictures look just like her!

http://wilton-maine.olx.com/100-european-german-shepherd-puppies-iid-4231991

The picture on the far right looks just like her.

http://www.chambos-black-german-shepherds.ca/

http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/GSDofthemontharchive2011.html

Scroll down the page to the "cutest german shepherd puppy, Gretel." She looks exactly like Kylie except that Kylie has a very small white bib and some white hairs on her toes. She also has an interesting reddish-brown patch right on top of her head that isn't clearly visible against the black and is a completely different kind of fur.