Menu

Vampires, Zombies, and Werewolves... oh my!

Which type of scary creature is your favorite for 'spooky' reading (or movies)?  

1. 1. Which type of scary creature is your favorite for 'spooky' reading (or movies)?

• Vampires (classic)
    • Vampires (sparkly -- you know these guys don't count, don't you???)
    • Zombies
    • Werewolves
    • Mummies
    • Ghosts
    • Evil Scientists
    • Aliens
    • Pyschopaths
    • Monsters

Which type of scary creature is your favorite for 'spooky' reading (or movies)?

Since October 'spookiness' is right around the corner, I've been busy planning my October spooky reading. (Right now, I'm getting a head start & am entrenched in vampires, having just finished The Merciful Women and w/ currently reading The Vampyre and Dracula.)

For all the various creepy stories I've read through the years, I always end up preferring vampire books. (Real vampires, not those sparkly dudes that Dracula would eat for lunch. :p:lol:)

Edited by Stacia

For me, it goes to a specific picture... Try again, but give a second to load. I'll see if i can find a better link.

To post a picture, copy the url. Then, in this posting box, click on the little yellow square box along the top that looks like mountains w/ the sun (or moon). It will bring up a pop-up window where you paste the url.

:iagree::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Let's see, ummm.... Vampires, witches, lycan (of multiple forms), fae... Yeah, you could say I have a bit of a fantasy fiction problem. Well, bit might be a tiny understatement... :D

:iagree::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Let's see, ummm.... Vampires, witches, lycan (of multiple forms), fae... Yeah, you could say I have a bit of a fantasy fiction problem. Well, bit might be a tiny understatement... :D

Me, too lol. So if I liked Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and her Merry Gentry series, and J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series and her Fallen Angels series, and Karen M. Moning's Fever series, and the True Blood series, and the Dark Jewels series by Anne Bishop, and, yes, even the Twilight series...

What would you recommend I read next? :D

I've been a big fan of vampires since Lestat first had me looking in the shadows of New Orleans so they have to be my favorite spooky story treat. I'm sure you've read World War Z, but if you haven't, if is the best Zombie book I've read. And Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series is a wonderful take on shape shifters and werewolves with some fun fairies, ghosts and zombies thrown in along with some evil humans. She does a great job with world building, and her books are fun reads. If you want a scary psycho-human story, Intensity by Dean Koontz scared me enough that I haven't read another scary-human story since.

I prefer zombies. Although, one of my favorite books, The Passage, has a zombie/vampire combo thing going on!

*Editing to add: There is not enough well-done zombie fiction, IMO, even though I've read a lot, so I would also say that I like serial killers/psychopaths. Well, I don't *like* them, ykwim. LOL

Edited by 6packofun
add

Me, too lol. So if I liked Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and her Merry Gentry series, and J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series and her Fallen Angels series, and Karen M. Moning's Fever series, and the True Blood series, and the Dark Jewels series by Anne Bishop, and, yes, even the Twilight series...

You have the same list I do! :D Have you read Kim Harrison's Hollow Series? I also enjoy Lori Handeland's Phoenix series.

Sparkly vampires ( love that description, BTW!) and the occasional hot alpha male werewolf. :D

I've gotta stop reading those free Kindle books... most of them are so trashy! :blush:

I have hundreds of books on my Kindle. The majority of them are free. I always check the free listing daily. Most of the werewolf books are...interesting, to say the least. :D

Well, not vampires (much) & not scary, but Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series is awesome fun.

I go for a good alien vampire psychopath....:lol:

LOL.

I've been a big fan of vampires since Lestat first had me looking in the shadows of New Orleans so they have to be my favorite spooky story treat. I'm sure you've read World War Z, but if you haven't, if is the best Zombie book I've read. And Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series is a wonderful take on shape shifters and werewolves with some fun fairies, ghosts and zombies thrown in along with some evil humans. She does a great job with world building, and her books are fun reads. If you want a scary psycho-human story, Intensity by Dean Koontz scared me enough that I haven't read another scary-human story since.

Agreeing that WWZ is excellent. I don't like zombie stuff & would never have considered reading it, but a friend insisted I would like it & I did. Really well done. I have also read Boneshaker by Cherie Priest; it's kind of a mix between zombies & steampunk. No other zombie stuff for me, though! Will have to look into the Patricia Briggs series....

I prefer zombies. Although, one of my favorite books, The Passage, has a zombie/vampire combo thing going on!

*Editing to add: There is not enough well-done zombie fiction, IMO, even though I've read a lot, so I would also say that I like serial killers/psychopaths. Well, I don't *like* them, ykwim. LOL

Um-hum. Yeah, sure. We know you don't really *like* them. Sure.... <sidling away> :001_unsure:

Jk, you know!

I enjoy reading anything scary, but I'm definitely a zombie fan more than anything else. Nothing like a good post-apocalyptic zombie novel. A handful have come out now that are actually written from the point of view of the zombies, which is fun.

Oh, titles to share (even though I don't read many zombie books, lol)?

You have the same list I do! :D Have you read Kim Harrison's Hollow Series? I also enjoy Lori Handeland's Phoenix series.

Will have to look for these. Thanks.

Um.....None of the above, but I don't like creepy things at all.:001_huh::auto:

Awww. But we can do 'nice' creepy too!

I like Spike. He doesn't sparkle. He doesn't need to. http://pinterest.com/pin/120541727495970434/

:lol:

I don't really like being scared. My childhood was scary enough. However, out of all the creepies, I like werewolves the best. When I was a kid, I always watched the old, black and white werewolf movies.

I dislike psycho-killer movies the most. Those monsters are very real.

I agree w/ you that the psycho books/movies are too scary because they're too real.

Have you read the Parasol Protectorate series? It's got an alpha werewolf in it.... :001_smile:

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely look into it.

I've read only the first one in the series, but it was fun -- a blend of Victorian England, steampunk, & paranormal (including werewolves, of course).

As long as you're okay with lots of ummm... "adult content" I highly recommend Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series. Her Anita Blake series has a little of everything but mostly lycans and vamps.

I've had her recommended to me but have never gotten around to reading her books. Definitely gotta check out her books!

Can you recommend one from the zombie POV? I've seen several titles but don't know where to start. I don't mind gore at all (hello, they're zombies, LOL) but really gross, gratuitous stuff in a mediocre story is not what I want!

Dust by Joan Frances Turner is a really good book told completely from the POV of a group of zombies. It does get a bit gory in parts, but none of it is gratuitous.

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel isn't technically written from the POV of a zombie, but the main character does fall in love with one. ;)

Dust by Joan Frances Turner is a really good book told completely from the POV of a group of zombies. It does get a bit gory in parts, but none of it is gratuitous.

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel isn't technically written from the POV of a zombie, but the main character does fall in love with one. ;)

Ok, if I'm scared of most zombie lit, could I handle either one of these? (I made it through World War Z just fine....)

I voted Sparkly Vampires :D I do NOT like to be scared.

I have read Bram Stoker's Dracula...to see what real vampires were all about. Dh, a vampire fan, is so offended by the sparkly :lol: I had to stop reading it at bedtime, though. It scared the bejeebers out of me. :blush:

I also read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies with our Jane Austen study last year. I made it through it but three of the girls in my class didn't. It didn't scare me but it totally grossed me out. Not my thing either!

Sparkly vampires are just my speed!

Sparkly vampires ( love that description, BTW!) and the occasional hot alpha male werewolf. :D

:lol: especially when said werewolf is shirtless :lol: