Menu

How many of you are afterschooling kids with learning challenges?

SKL

It seems to me like most of the folks here are afterschooling kids who are ahead of the school's curriculum. What about kids who are challenged to keep up?

I am feeling a little lonely as I consider how to work with my eldest. She sometimes has trouble keeping up with some of the concepts and workload. Not all the time, though. She currently has a solid "B" average, but there are times when she really blows an assignment and frustrates her teacher.

I have online access to some of her upcoming assignments and supplemental online activities. I plan to have her do some of the activities on the weekends, but I'm wondering what the right balance may be. I've never been a fan of using our personal time to go over what they're doing in school, but maybe that's what this kid needs.

Any thoughts? If your kid is slow to grasp certain concepts, do you go over the school material extra times, or try to find some parallel supplement to approach things from another angle, or what?

And if Singapore Math is a little strange to your child, what might be a good supplement?

I have normal kids, lol. :D

I keep right on top of all their assignments. They each have an agenda supplied by their school. They have to write their assignments in it each day and I have to initial it and the teacher checks it the following day (for my 3rd and 5th graders). I always check their homework and make sure they know what they're doing. If they are having trouble, I try to help, but if it's a matter of re-teaching or if my child acts as if she has never seen it before, I email their teachers to let them know. It's not my job to teach them. Their homework should be a reinforcement of what they've already learned. (sorry, pet peeve there! :))

I try to emphasize to my kids (it's mostly my DD) that they need to listen and write everything down. They need to make sure they understand their homework before they leave school for the day. And they need to advocate for themselves (ask questions and speak up).

My 3rd and 5th graders are using Math in Focus (Singapore) and it has been fine so far. DD had one problem so far, but I emailed the teacher and it turned out fine. Most of the other kids didn't understand it either.

This 1st grade teacher gives little homework other than Bible memory verses, reading every night, and an occasional math or spelling practice page. (And I'm not sure I am seeing all the homework papers.) So usually it's days later when I find out dd has had trouble on an in-school assignment.

Yesterday a pile of papers came home with the note: "I explained this to her several times, and gave it back three times to finish it, and it's still not done!" It was 8 pages of math and it looked to me like it was done, so I honestly could not tell what the specific problem was. I sat with my daughter last night and re-did all 8 pages and sent it back with my own (respectful) note to the teacher. However, I don't feel confident that the same thing isn't going to happen again.

We definitely need to work out a system to help dd keep track of what she's supposed to do and whether she's done it (and handed it in). I'm not sure what that's going to look like just yet.

This 1st grade teacher gives little homework other than Bible memory verses, reading every night, and an occasional math or spelling practice page. (And I'm not sure I am seeing all the homework papers.) So usually it's days later when I find out dd has had trouble on an in-school assignment.

Yesterday a pile of papers came home with the note: "I explained this to her several times, and gave it back three times to finish it, and it's still not done!" It was 8 pages of math and it looked to me like it was done, so I honestly could not tell what the specific problem was. I sat with my daughter last night and re-did all 8 pages and sent it back with my own (respectful) note to the teacher. However, I don't feel confident that the same thing isn't going to happen again.

We definitely need to work out a system to help dd keep track of what she's supposed to do and whether she's done it (and handed it in). I'm not sure what that's going to look like just yet.

At that age, the teacher should have a system to keep track of things. It is her responsibility to make sure your DD knows what to do at home. She should have a homework folder or something like that. I'd request a meeting with the teacher to work it out. Did you have a parent night/open house?

At that age, the teacher should have a system to keep track of things. It is her responsibility to make sure your DD knows what to do at home. She should have a homework folder or something like that. I'd request a meeting with the teacher to work it out. Did you have a parent night/open house?

They each have a folder in their backpacks, but it usually comes home empty. Then there will be loose papers in the bag.

Last Sunday I went through dd's desk because I kept getting notes about "missing homework" which made no sense to me. I found a lot of loose papers around her desk and placed them in the red folder the teacher maintains for each child. I still don't quite understand what's going wrong here. I spoke to the teacher for a few minutes, and she expressed frustration that the kids don't do things as she tells them to do. It does sound like she just gives verbal reminders in the midst of the classroom chaos. My daughter has listening issues, though. Just hearing "bla bla bla" in the midst of 22 kids' random noises is probably not going to cut it.

My more advanced dd (who is in the same class) has had similar issues with the organization side of things.

I have started trying to remind my dd before she goes to school in the morning that she's to carefully listen for whatever the teacher tells her and get down to business and work on it until it's done. I don't know how much I can expect her to take the responsibility, but it can't hurt to try. I can't really complain about her being "young" for the responsibility, since she has an October birthday and I could have held her back a year. But in terms of basic knowledge and abilities, she's on par; it's usually the logistics / communication that throw her for a loop.

It is hard. I have 3 kids...2 in gifted and 1 behind/in regular classes in high school.

I work a lot with him. I feel blessed that he was able to get into a culinary arts program this year for vocational training...but I pretty much after school him for science, history and lots of math. I dont think the teacher has enough time to sit and focus on him and teach him the math. He is doing Alg. 1. I have the ESE department writing his HW/CW and explaining anything he cant get.

I have to work a lot on things he struggles with. I have to do easy grammar, writing, math etc. whatever he needs. It depends on what is going on in school. It is overwhelming to me! I feel like all I do is school...just as much as when he was homeschooled! BUT he loves being in school so I make the time. Some days I give up and just put everything away.

My DD 9 has been complaining a bit that she doesnt know what the teacher is explaining. I finally just emailed her for clarification. The teacher makes it seem like they are repeating things but my DD is saying they are not. It is hard. I write notes in her agenda reminding her to ask for help or directions.

Sounds like teacher is relatively new; she should know better than verbal only for first grade. She should be getting their attention, and walking them thru the pack up procedure the first month -- usuing a visual as well as auditoryion instruct. If there are papers in desks, it means the students don't know what to do with them. Teacher needs to train. Maybe she needs a copy of Harry Wong if the school doesn't have the principal mentoring her.

Not new, but last year she taught 2nd grade, so maybe she needs to get re-oriented to the younger class.

I tend to agree she is a little unrealistic for this grade, but then again, I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the whole story.

It's hard not being able to just go in there and see what's going on, so I could know what to do about it.