Menu

Awesome Timeline History Schedule/Curriculum

I've put my Awesome History Timeline Schedule online:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/awesomehistory/awesome_history.html

Some of the pages don't have anything yet as I'm pasting in the info from a Word document, but I thought I'd share what I have up in case it's useful to anyone.

Basically it's a history curriculum/schedule in a timeline format. I'm currently working through it with my son and we've both learned a lot.

I have a lot of reasons why I created it but one is because I wanted something totally chronological. It's a total pet peeve of mine when history books jump all over the place covering concepts, civilizations, dynasties, etc. instead of WHEN the darn stuff happened. Give it to me all at once. I promise I can keep track of the threads. ;)

I also wanted to see how world history and American history are intertwined. Why learn about them separately? I'm finding that I understand the flow of history so much better now that we are studying them in tandem (although you could use the schedule to focus on either one instead of both). I also understand so much better how events in one part of the world affected another. It really is a "small world" when you study it like this...

Another reason...I don't like rushing through history. I like to linger and really know what was going on (and/or sometimes get the heck out of a time period because it's BORING or we're tired of it or whatever, lol). I like to use a variety of resources and need flexibility. I also got tired of paying hundreds of $$ for history programs that just didn't cut it in so many ways.

So...here is my creation and solution to all of the above and more. I should finish putting it all online by sometime next week.

The Awesome History Timeline Schedule is designed for my son and he's been rating items as we use them. As for what age it's for...my son is currently in middle school and will be using the schedule into high school. It's so easy to tweak though, you could really use it for any age or just use it to get a few extra ideas for any other history curriculum.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can do something better!

I would like a copy as well! Thanks! Are you sending them via pm?

I could have written what is bolded above! I have been searching for years for something totally chronological, and spent way too much money in the hunt! About time I'd think I had something, I'd be finishing up a time period and come across some lesson on famous people of the period, and wonder why in the world they couldn't have been folded into the most logical point before! Drives me crazy!

This thing you have done truly is awesome, and I think you could surely find a marked for it when you have it completed! But for now, I am thankful it is free. :001_smile:

Could I get a link to the Word version too, please? What you've put together looks much more like my mental image of what I'd like our history lessons to look like. I do hope you continue on developing curriculum after Otter is done being homeschooled - you have a real knack for it. I've bookmarked your chemistry program to use next year too. Thanks!

That is phenomenal!!! I have been middling through smashing world and American history together for my 3rd & 7th graders this year and you har just made it a bazillion times easier. Thank you so much!

I already love your site and materials, and I have a new question for you: may I use your logo to link to the site in my October "Resource of the Month" post on my umbrella group website?

Truly inspiring! I plan on getting my teeth into as soon as I can. Not sure if I am a box checker or not ? :D My son is also in middle school so this seems great. I hope you don't mind that I pinned a link to your blog on Pinterest, it's the only way I can remember things, this is for my youngest so the brain isn't what it used to be, kwim? Thank you for this amazing wealth of information! Terri

No, I don't mind at all. Anyone is welcome to pin my stuff anytime. I really need to add some sort of button in my sidebar so people know it's fine with me.

I could have written what is bolded above! I have been searching for years for something totally chronological, and spent way too much money in the hunt! About time I'd think I had something, I'd be finishing up a time period and come across some lesson on famous people of the period, and wonder why in the world they couldn't have been folded into the most logical point before! Drives me crazy!

Yeah, it drives me crazy too, lol. I've found that I learn so much better this way and retain things better too. It makes so much more sense to me.

That's not to say that I entered in everything perfectly, but I did a lot of research on where to stick things into the timeline...

This thing you have done truly is awesome, and I think you could surely find a marked for it when you have it completed! But for now, I am thankful it is free. :001_smile:

Ha! I wish I could market my stuff! ;) No matter what I decide to do in the future, what is free now will probably always be free. Maybe I'll make new, improved versions in the future though...

I don't know but I really do love working on stuff like this.

I do hope you continue on developing curriculum after Otter is done being homeschooled - you have a real knack for it.

*Blush* Thanks. I hope so too. We'll see how things go when I get there. I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head, but no time for them right now.

I already love your site and materials, and I have a new question for you: may I use your logo to link to the site in my October "Resource of the Month" post on my umbrella group website?

Yes! Please do. :)

Ok, I think I sent everyone a link to the Word document that requested it. If I missed you, let me know. Note: the Word document is NOT updated like the stuff online. It's easy to convert what's online into a Word doc. though. Feel free to do so if you want the updates I've made recently to the online version (and the better organization). Just copy & paste (your document should be set to "web format" for a correct paste).

Wow Jenn, that's amazing! Geezle will love this. I used your human body curriculum a couple of years ago and both of my hsers loved it and learned a lot!

We are studying the human body this year so I would love to see your curriculum. I'm assuming I can search for it on here to find the link or is it also on your blog? Thanks for sharing your talent of pulling it all together, really appreciated!

We are studying the human body this year so I would love to see your curriculum. I'm assuming I can search for it on here to find the link or is it also on your blog? Thanks for sharing your talent of pulling it all together, really appreciated!

It's right here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/otters_science_main.html

Otter really enjoyed the year we studied it. :)

It's right here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/otters_science_main.html

Otter really enjoyed the year we studied it. :)

Just looked at it and it is awesome! I have lots of books on the human body and needed to come up with a lesson plan for it, you have saved me all that work and done it beautifully. I feel like I should send you some home-made cookies or something!:001_smile:

Just looked at it and it is awesome! I have lots of books on the human body and needed to come up with a lesson plan for it, you have saved me all that work and done it beautifully. I feel like I should send you some home-made cookies or something!:001_smile:

Well darn, too bad you don't live next door or I'd take you up on that, LOL.

:D

Thanks for the compliment!

Link sent!

BUT....

I've finished updating the online version (although I will continue to work on it).

The old Word document is now DEFUNCT and outdated. So, if you want the newest changes, corrections & additions, please refer to the online version.

Ok, I have a new, updated Microsoft Word version (that is also a smaller download than the original) here. It has all of the updates and is identical to the schedule online with all the recent additions, organizational changes and corrections contained in one document. Each time I update the online schedule, I will update the new Microsoft Word schedule as well.

I'm going to take down the link to the old schedule pretty soon, so if you want that one for some reason and have the link, grab it now.

Jenn,

Your work is phenomenal. God is good! You are a blessing to your family and to the homeschooling community. I have been looking over the Awesome History Schedule and I love it because you have chosen resources that I want to use in teaching my kids! Woohoo. Thank-you for sharing! There is so much on your site. I will be reading and pondering for several days.

For some reason I don't find MOH Notebooking pages on the hslaunch site. Are they no longer available or are they arranged topically in the Uncategorized files toward the bottom? It doesn't look like your hslaunch site so perhaps you don't know. I realllllly love Notebooking and would love to see some for MOH.

Thanks again!

Jenn,

Your work is phenomenal. God is good! You are a blessing to your family and to the homeschooling community. I have been looking over the Awesome History Schedule and I love it because you have chosen resources that I want to use in teaching my kids! Woohoo. Thank-you for sharing! There is so much on your site. I will be reading and pondering for several days.

For some reason I don't find MOH Notebooking pages on the hslaunch site. Are they no longer available or are they arranged topically in the Uncategorized files toward the bottom? It doesn't look like your hslaunch site so perhaps you don't know. I realllllly love Notebooking and would love to see some for MOH.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the compliments! :)

I don't know where the MOH notebooking pages got moved to...I think they are still floating around, but they are not marked as MOH pages anymore. I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find them. They are really nice and came in handy.

Edited by jenn&charles

Thanks again!

They're still there...at the bottom of the page under the heading 'Uncategorized' Just look through the list and match the subject with the MoH of the chapter.