Menu

Junior Classics Anthology- what now?

Sharon37127

I was given a copy of The Junior Classics 10 volume set. I feel like I just hit a gold mind. My question is- how in the world am I going to "cross reference" these before I go looking for books elsewhere? There is so much literature and it would be a great way to preview something and see if we want to read the whole thing, but there is no way I will remember what is in them. I'm hoping someone has maybe aligned them with the 4 year chronological order?

Here's to hoping!

' date=' a set of The American Heritage Book of Presidents and Famous Americans, and then I have quite a few sets that are not so old... like Charlie Brown's 'Cyclopedia, several sets from Southwestern, a few of the sets that came from the grocery store.

[/quote']

I love all these things too. How are the ones referenced above? I see them available on PBS.

I'm not going to try to cross-reference, I'm looking at them as literature and basic cultural awareness. I'll be reading vol. 1 to my youngest son. (Almost all the books are around 370 pages, so easy division to make them fit into a school year.) #6 is stories related to various holidays, so I'll just pencil it into the calendar, and read it to everyone. (I was so excited by that - I've been inspired to try seasonal themes by Dawn's blog and this will be perfect to start with.)

I saw someone post a goal of reading the whole set by 8th grade (can't remember who). The books #2-5 are for "slightly older" children (1st to 4th grades?), #7-10 are for more mature children (5th to 8th?). So I looked at the contents of those books, and decided to cover #3 with my 8yo, and #9 with my 10yo.

If it gets to be too much to have a time with each child, I'll probably make in a group thing and read through them outloud. But I'm hoping to be able to have some time with each boy, just 10-15 min a day (or every-other-day). I think it will be fun.