Menu

Teaching boys to pee in the potty?

Sit then stand, or stand from the start?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Sit then stand, or stand from the start?

• Sitting first, then standing later
    • Stand from the start
    • Other?

I continue to think squat toilets are the best for toilet training. No worries about size or aiming. I feel like I should sing a squat toilet song!

I never understand why these threads get so controversial. What's next, bathing vs. showering? Boxers vs. briefs? Underwire vs. camisole? I say, close the bathroom door on other people's houses!

I wasn't going to comment because I didn't want anyone picking apart my response, but oh boy do I agree. Every family does things differently. As homeschoolers we should understand that. Beauty in the differences. :001_smile:

I often think about putting a target in the toilet for my boys, but how do you keep them from thinking that throwing things in the toilet is OK? Just this morning my 22mo threw dh's toothbrush down the vent while I was in the shower. He has been clearly taught not to do such things, but well, he's a 22mo with a little freedom. If I threw anything in the toilet, I know he would consider open season on the toilet for more than just cheerios.

This is why he is currently peeing standing up on a step stool aiming at...nothing. I am sure soon enough he will be taught how to aim at trees, cats, and chickens, and he will be entered in regular outdoor peeing contests. :001_rolleyes:

I don't care how they pee. They can pee upside down if they want. As long as they do it by themselves and it gets where it's supposed to go.

The thing is, there is the potential for more aiming messes, IMO, with sitting (facing forward) than with standing.

We haven't had trouble with aiming here. We never really have.

I remember someone asking my mom about this, as she had problems with her son spraying it all over the bathroom when he sat facing forward. (Her ped then told her to have him sit facing the toilet tank.) My mom's comment was, "teach them to hold it down with their hand. After all, they love playing with it." ;) And when you think about it, how is that different from them needing to hold it to "aim" when they stand?

Ugh, this is one reason I'm glad I only have girls. :D

I remember someone asking my mom about this, as she had problems with her son spraying it all over the bathroom when he sat facing forward. (Her ped then told her to have him sit facing the toilet tank.) My mom's comment was, "teach them to hold it down with their hand. After all, they love playing with it." ;) And when you think about it, how is that different from them needing to hold it to "aim" when they stand?

Ugh, this is one reason I'm glad I only have girls. :D

Hmm, this reminds me that part of the problem with trying to have them stand early on is that both my boys have refused to touch it when peeing.

Mine learned to sit first. Part of that was that they weren't tall enough to stand.

Yes. My son was not tall enough so he learned to sit first.

Thankfully, when he did start standing, his dad taught him good manners so it has NOT been messy. It is rare that his pee doesn't end up in the potty. (like once or twice a year rare)

One does not have to squat even if the toilet is referred to as a "squatter." They're just a whole lot easier to clean. :001_smile:

We didn't create Western Civilization by doing things "the easy way" :D

Except when doing the other number, when one wants repose :tongue_smilie:

Bill (yin and yang)

:iagree:

Of course, with each kid it could be different, but it seems totally bizarre to me that sitting is the default while standing is not. Huh?

Sitting is the default here because 1) my son wouldn't have been tall enough for a few years 2) it is neater 3) it follows an adult role model

One day his future wife will fall down on her knees and thank us. :D

Why? Are you assuming that boys will always be messy? Are you assuming it will be his wife's job to clean up after him? My boys aim well. Cleaning the toilets became their job so they understood the importance of good aim. Plus, they learned that, if you make a mess, you clean it up.

Why? Are you assuming that boys will always be messy? Are you assuming it will be his wife's job to clean up after him? My boys aim well. Cleaning the toilets became their job so they understood the importance of good aim. Plus, they learned that, if you make a mess, you clean it up.

my dh is neater in the bathroom than my girls. So is my son. Apparently, dh taught him well. (he's 4 years old) generally, they both wipe all around the rim with toilet paper and puts the toilet seat down when done. I've always appreciated that.

Plus, they learned that, if you make a mess, you clean it up.

For me, my preference for sitting vs. standing relates to splash back.

No matter how well you aim you will get splash back. If you are standing than the water is falling from a higher height and will cause more splash back. Also with standing your bottom doesn't act as a shield blocking the toilet water from splash back.

The same thing happens when you flush. Some toilet water splashes back up into the air. It is why I prefer people to sit, and always fully close the toilet (as in the lid) before flushing.

Sure the splash back is at a min. But it still exists, and I prefer to avoid it. My boys are neat peers, and they do wipe up any accidentally drips. But that does not chance the fact that the taller they get the more splash back they will make.

But this is not something I consider fighting over, or insisting on with my boys. If aim is good (and it is) I let them pee standing up.

In addition considering the state of my bathroom (:ack2:) As long as you don't make a wet spot that I can see or feel I can't notice since my bathroom is so... :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

ETA: One advantage of standing is (assuming you are aware) you get a good look at the toilet the whole time, so you notice if you make a mess. Like a previous poster I have know women who can leave a mess and never notice since they don't look.